Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

He is absolutely the steal of the draft.

Based on what he's shown so far he's be the number two prospect. Unearthing such a gem with a late pick is so valuable to a rebuild.

Calsher + Newcombe + Massimo = potentially 3 A graders for a packet of chips plus a deal that cost us almost nothing.

Newcombe already an A grader based on performances in the back half of this year. Massimo played like an A-grader all year.

Calsher heading in the right direction at a rate of knots.

If our rebuild isn't done already, it will be once Barrass and Battle land. Absolutely doesn't hurt when you can land the three guys mentioned above, those two, but still have your top ten picks the way we did the past few years.

A Weddle, Macdonald, Watson, MacKenzie etc. doesn't hurt either.

Back on topic, I'm psyched to see how Calsher plays again this week. He's got an appetite for finals, and the belief that comes with knowing that he can play well in them.

He's been doing it all year too, since his first few Box Hill games.

It's unreal how good he is, the number of scoring shots he has per game is going to approach Franklinesque levels before he's done.

Just turns dog poop into gold every week - a steal, spin and snap in a contest 30 meters out; a cross and strike that starts on the boundary and ends up between the sticks; a tap back to himself in the square; a ball tapped and plucked out of a pile of players on the ground.

On and on it goes.
Fellow number 35 James ‘Freak’ Morrissey would’ve been nodding in approval…

Fellow number 35 James ‘Freak’ Morrissey would’ve been nodding in approval…

No doubt. Calsher is seeing opportunities to kick goals where no-one else around him is (just like Morrissey), and by the time defenders are awake to what is going on, Calher's already celebrating.

Dare I say it... it's underage Nick Watson like.

Going to be some ride with these two in the forward line for 10+ years.

Calsher Dear the first Hawthorn player to take 5 marks inside 50 in a final since Roughead and Franklin both did it in 2008 (also against the bulldogs).

Incredible to think now that he was considered a long-shot prospect. You'd be happy with his output this year if he'd been drafted at #1.

Sent from my SM-F741B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredible to think now that he was considered a long-shot prospect. You'd be happy with his output this year if he'd been drafted at #1.

Sent from my SM-F741B using Tapatalk
1725867797893.png
1725867829949.png 1725867881533.png
1725867910145.png 1725867929135.png

Dear compared to Cadman, Walters and the King brothers.
Not bad considering 4/5 of these players were top end picks rated as potentially generational KPFs.

Sliding doors moment? To think where would he be now and the Hawks if Lewis was not injured most of the year?

I'd like to think he would still have had opportunities but talk about grabbing them with both hands when they appear!!!!

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sometimes though, he grabs them with one hand. He's just that good.

This is from https://archive.md/XdvyL

From the moment Dear nailed a soccer goal almost seven minutes into the second term, you could tell the young Hawk wasn’t going to let his opportunities slip. He edged out his opponent near the line before throwing his foot out which turned into a smart, dribbling goal.
“I don’t even know what was going through my head then,” he said when asked about his first finals goal. “I have never played soccer in my life.”

Who could have guessed he had no soccer in his background, when he kicked that brilliant soccer goal?

Sliding doors moment? To think where would he be now and the Hawks if Lewis was not injured most of the year?

I'd like to think he would still have had opportunities but talk about grabbing them with both hands when they appear!!!!

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think our season would have been as good, Lewis when fit can mark yes but doesn't offer the same ground ball skill with tacking, second efforts that dear does.

This is from https://archive.md/XdvyL

From the moment Dear nailed a soccer goal almost seven minutes into the second term, you could tell the young Hawk wasn’t going to let his opportunities slip. He edged out his opponent near the line before throwing his foot out which turned into a smart, dribbling goal.
“I don’t even know what was going through my head then,” he said when asked about his first finals goal. “I have never played soccer in my life.”

Who could have guessed he had no soccer in his background, when he kicked that brilliant soccer goal?
Crazy, I asked in the GameDay thread if he had played junior soccer because he deliberately controlled with his left before kicking the goal. Simple for soccer players but rarely considered by AFL players.

That mark he took on the boundary showed a freakish level of atheltisicm. And then to nail the goal straight through the middle cool as a cucumber was the icing on the cake

Honestly watching him last Friday night compared to JUH if you didn't know better you'd have bet your house that Dear was the Number 1 pick not JUH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back