Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought since rd 3 he's been playing highlight footy. Nothing really changed until the last quarter v Melbourne where he almost single handedly dragged us over the line. He started doing the team thing, and created for teammates.
Be had the goals to himself and instead hit shiels up, which makes me think he could be extremely good

It’s way too early to be writing his career off and declaring this trade as a bad one considering none of Gibson, Burgoyne, Hale, McEvoy, Frawley and O’Meara had much of an impact when they arrived at the club in year 1 and 2. It took them a little while to get going. I’m confident Wingard will find his rhythm eventually, but it needs to be as a midfielder which is where he can be a match winner.
Would argue that Frawley still hasn’t made that big of an impact apart from 1or 2 memorable games .

Patience fellas. Several of our mature aged picks have taken some time to settle in. All part of the plan for the Hawks to launch a massive assault in season 2020 ... and to net us a solid set of draft picks at year end 2019.
Which we'll trade out for some under-performing or injured potential star, cause you know... the draft is a lottery.

Has the ability to be a top 20 player in the competition, but i think the problem with Wingard is he isn’t a heart and soul player, willing to give it his all to win trophies. He sees footy as a job and accolades don’t necessarily interest him. I still have hopes it will turn around but I don’t think he is fitting in at the moment.

Which we'll trade out for some under-performing or injured potential star, cause you know... the draft is a lottery.

Risk v return brother. We don’t win premierships playing it safe.

It’s always easier being critical in hindsight and there will always be backseat forum scourers having a gripe about how we traded/drafted. And for every draft/trade success, someone here is bound to quote you a draft/trade disaster.

Our draft picks are currency, and my humble view is it would be negligent to stubbornly trade them in for a 17 y/o with potential without considering other options to strategically use them to create/open up greater value in a way that fits our given circumstances/plans. Sure we’ll win some and lose others, and history suggests we’re still on the right side of the ledger. I don’t think the cliff face is as close as some may suggest..

Risk v return brother. We don’t win premierships playing it safe.

It’s always easier being critical in hindsight and there will always be backseat forum scourers having a gripe about how we traded/drafted. And for every draft/trade success, someone here is bound to quote you a draft/trade disaster.

Our draft picks are currency, and my humble view is it would be negligent to stubbornly trade them in for a 17 y/o with potential without considering other options to strategically use them to create/open up greater value in a way that fits our given circumstances/plans. Sure we’ll win some and lose others, and history suggests we’re still on the right side of the ledger. I don’t think the cliff face is as close as some may suggest..
On the money its a statement of truth

Reading the posts in this thread since the Melbourne game has reminded me that people are idiots, and they forget how our other boom recruits played early on with the team.

And where were all these geniuses who are writing the guy off after one bad game, last week? Surely you don't develop profoundly strong views of a player after one game, right....?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have maintained right throughout this that we will only see the best of chad after the bye. We might see glimpses but the best is yet to come
I reckon he'll go to another level in 2020/21, when we have a real midfield getting the ball into F50m effectively & when he's rolling through the midfield & racking up good numbers.

Could easily be a 25 & 2 player with the right guys around him.

Reading the posts in this thread since the Melbourne game has reminded me that people are idiots, and they forget how are other boom recruits played early on with the team.

And where were all these geniuses who are writing the guy off after one bad game, last week? Surely you don't develop profoundly strong views of a player after one game, right....?

Agree 100%. Saturday was frustrating but this year is part of our rebuild. We are going to get games into kids for the rest of the season. Lewis and Moore on the weekend. Cousins, Morrison, Scrimshaw, Nash so far and I think we may go back to two rucks this week or in the next few and give Pittonet a go. Kosi, Ross and Glass are developing at Box Hill. I was so much more worried in 2017 than I am now. Howe needs to come on a bit but was only ever going to be a role player.

Our core for 2020 is solid but we would desperately love a free agent such as Coniglio but if we miss him the idea of moving our first round pick is not a bad one. I think we will be bottom 6. Trading for a pre agent the year before they come out becomes possible. Who knows? I would love Coniglio and it would allow us to have a high pick for once. Our issue currently is we are short in the midfield. Worpel has been great so far but he's in his second season. Opposition teams know if they can O'Meara out of the game we are in trouble.

Add Coniglio + Top 6 draft pick and father son (McGuinness) onto the list and I think in 12 months the conversation will have switched to how brilliant Clarko and Wright are again. We will have cap space for the next couple of years as well.

B Scrimshaw Frawley Impey
HB Hardwick Sicily Stratton
C Scully Mitchell Shiels
HF Wingard Gunston Smith
F Breust Lewis Puopolo
R Mcevoy Worpel Omeara
I/C Henderson Howe

Can't blame a player who is stuck in his non-preferred position, and thrives on quick ball movement, when we move the ball so painfully slow.

If he is to play deep forward then we need to move the ball quickly, so he can play on instinct. If we move it slow then he will be ineffectual.

Or play him in the midfield (when he's fit enough) and we will see what he can do.

This is exactly how it was at Port and it's not going to change here.

Nail on the head mate... as much as Chad has struggled and his 1 hand grabbers are mind blowingly stupid, our inept and pedestrian ball movement makes his skill set obsolete. Clarko has to make adjustments, I never understand why, with our elite (on paper at least) forwards that we don’t attack more and put faith in the front 6 to kick a winning score? I’d love for Clarko to accept we’ll have scores kicked against us, but clubs will need to kick 15-16 to beat us as our front half will be given the chance to put that on them selves.

Christ. He’s played 4 effing games in a side who’s patterns and structures are so effing different to the system he just played a decade in.
Needless to say our forward line entries have been diabolically bad.... Poppy & Bruest haven’t exactly set the world in fire yet.
All this talk about his “attitude” only surfaced once post season he had made his request to be traded clear.
You mob... seriously.

Reading the posts in this thread since the Melbourne game has reminded me that people are idiots, and they forget how are other boom recruits played early on with the team.

Exactly. I remember Gibson when he first came to the club and during his first half a dozen games or so (in fact probably most of his first year) not really seeing anything special about him he looked like just your average AFL standard player. Who would of thought he'd go on to be one of best spoiling defenders in the game and playing a huge part in our three peat.

The same could be said for Burgoyne who had a slow start to his career due to coming back from his knee injury plus he was severely underrated outside of SA. I remember coming his defence many times early on having to defend him from this unrealistic expectation that as a midfielder he should be racking up the numbers when he has always been a quality over quantity player when it came to possessions.

It's an all too familiar tune which is being played once again....

You mob... seriously.

Facebook is the same, full of wnkers that seek to throw the baby out with the bath water...it is a sad reflection on some of our purported supporters whom for mine are front runners and key board know-alls at best...

Facebook is the same, full of wnkers that seek to throw the baby out with the bath water...it is a sad reflection on some of our purported supporters whom for mine are front runners and key board know-alls at best...

Off a very late preseason injury prep & off successive 6 day breaks.

Mob of pathetic sooks. Same mob that wanted Gunston dropped last week to “make a statement”.
Same mob that thought B Hill was the softest player ever.

I can't wait until he explodes. It is gonna be soon.
Agree. He's very likely to respond with a huge game. We saw it at Port a few times. His ego won't be enjoying today's media battering, which isn't a bad thing if it stings him into action. Question is whether that extends to some real professional pride and whether he backs it up for a few weeks consecutively. Would also expect that the Hawks club culture is strong enough that his form / effort isn't pissing off his teammates.

On Gibbo, he took a season to really find his feet, he came to use with social question marks and he ended up becoming one of our greatest ever CHB's. Chad has talent to burn, the club will be desperate to see him enjoy his footy and I reckon the leaders of the club would have embraced him today and he will be an eager beaver for Sunday.

Facebook is the same, full of wnkers that seek to throw the baby out with the bath water

Is that the Hawthorn Football Club - Better Than Banter group?

I joined it a couple of months ago and unfollowed it after only a couple of weeks. Couldn't stand the massive knee jerk reactions not to mention the personal abuse dished to fellow supporters that dared to have an alternative view.

It's amazing to me that on a social platform that makes the poster so personally identifiable compared to say a forum like this, that people feel they can be bigger arseholes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back