Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Day coming back from his ankle injury in 2022, I feel like we haven't seen anywhere near CJ's best.

His trademark runs or agile moments have been absent. He's still gaining confidence in his own body while also learning a new position.

He's been decent playing on the defensive wing but I'm really looking forward to what he can do next year.

I know he mentioned a number of times how easy of a decision it was for him to stay but I'm sure he would have had some tempting offers he turn his back on.

He must really love the club!

And we love him back ❤️

11 games this year but never really had a significant impact.

I feel like he is a bit of an enigma - he could be a superstar as he has athletic abilities that few others do.
Yet for injury and interrupted preparation, we never quite get to see it on field.

I think he is an intriguing prospect for next year and is one on our list who could literally be anything.

Which CJ do we get in 2025?

I feel like he is a bit of an enigma - he could be a superstar as he has athletic abilities that few others do.
Yet for injury and interrupted preparation, we never quite get to see it on field.

I think he is an intriguing prospect for next year and is one on our list who could literally be anything.

If weddle is moving to wing CJ is going to have his work cut out for a best 22 spot when he’s fit. When he played did a good job of running patterns and disrupting opposition but didn’t get much of ball.

His ability to play back also less valuable now given our stacked backline. Can he provide a forward marking option?

The pressure for spots puts pressure on guys like CJ to keep evolving their game.

If he gets a genuine pre-season I think we see him back to his best. I would like to see him move back to the half back line also - move Weddle up the ground and allow Amon or Morrison to play the other wing. CJ's best work was when he was intercepting/rebounding and using his pace to turn defence into attack. I think he is not quite as adept on the wing.

CJ's best work was when he was intercepting/rebounding and using his pace to turn defence into attack. I think he is not quite as adept on the wing.
This is it for me too. While his kicking can improve, his execution isn't quite good enough for a wing position. I'm ok with him kicking kaos balls into the forward line after he's come bounding out of the backline.

This is it for me too. While his kicking can improve, his execution isn't quite good enough for a wing position. I'm ok with him kicking kaos balls into the forward line after he's come bounding out of the backline.
If he is to play as a half back, then he better hope we have other players injured, or Hardwick playing forward, so he gets a regular gig.

As he has struggled with his body, many others on the list have improved significantly.

6 seasons of AFL for only 56 games.

The fact he has a deal until 2027 on the back of 3 months of playing injury free is great for his financial security.

However, those around him are clearly more physically resilient, and he needs to get/stay fit. Otherwise he may well stagnate / regress as the team improves.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is to play as a half back, then he better hope we have other players injured, or Hardwick playing forward, so he gets a regular gig.
I doubt he would want this.
Fingers crossed that his body holds up & he can truly reach his full potential, his best is in our best 22.
But yeah he really needs to get in amongst it next year

With regards to CJ staying fit this is totally unscientific but just from my visual observations he looks like he needs to really develop his core / upper legs.

It’s the same when Mitch Lewis returned, he looked like a baby giraffe his legs were so skinny I was almost waiting for the moment his knee was going to give way.

Compare both CJ and Lewis’s builds with those of Newk and to lesser extent Worps who are just bulls and Newks quads are a thing of legend. And these bulls play week after week without missing a beat (Newk hasn’t missed a game in three and a half years straight).

I know comparing CJ to Newk is comparing apples with oranges and they are totally different body types but I feel to make it in the AFL you need to have an AFL body and a certain amount of muscle/bulk to absorb the impacts / build resilience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back