Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

The bloody Irish Romans gave us John Kennedy Snr and Dermott Brereton and Robert Dipperdemenico

Then the Protestants gave us Jefferey Kennett.
Reckon you missed anyone or is this a definitive list?

Can I trade him in for 4x Impeys?

Maybe,, but I am still waiting on a trade for Jeff to the Melbourne FC...

On the subject of Nash. I always believed in him. Always wanted him in the 22. Nash before 2021 never lost a hard ball get... or one-on-one... he always broke even at least... so I always believed in him.

I am proud to have helped build the Nash wagon when it was in total disrepair. I am not alone. Nash has had himself a small corner on-line that was always behind him. Why anyone lost faith in Nash i can't understand. He is a boss.

On the subject of Nash. I always believed in him. Always wanted him in the 22. Nash before 2021 never lost a hard ball get... or one-on-one... he always broke even at least... so I always believed in him.

I am proud to have helped build the Nash wagon when it was in total disrepair. I am not alone. Nash has had himself a small corner on-line that was always behind him. Why anyone lost faith in Nash i can't understand. He is a boss.
Watching Nash develop to where he is now kinda makes me feel like Harry Potter's parents in the final book;
as he walks to his death in the forbidden forest we appear around him always having been there with him, even when it felt like the world was against him

Always been on his band wagon. Has too many good attributes.

Can’t wait to see him play in 2022. Was the back end of 2021 a flash in the pan or do we have a genuine massive and athletic inside mid?

Can’t wait to see him play in 2022. Was the back end of 2021 a flash in the pan or do we have a genuine massive and athletic inside mi

Can’t wait to see him play in 2022. Was the back end of 2021 a flash in the pan or do we have a genuine massive and athletic inside mid?
If he makes it as a midfielder, the confidence earned will make him more dangerous resting up fwd too.
Sort of double win imho.
But it's midfield or bust. Wish him the best.

If he makes it as a midfielder, the confidence earned will make him more dangerous resting up fwd too.
Sort of double win imho.
But it's midfield or bust. Wish him the best.
Yer particularly when he can drag his midfield opponent forward, makes him even more damaging and not on a true defender.

The biggest thing for me tho is confidence, those games last year let him know he belongs, a bit like Dylan Moore - if he can double down on that and really Star this season we might see completely different Nash. We might even see him get more creative with the Gaelic style kicks. I reckon he will star this year, big hopes.

Saw him down the street to, his an absolute unit.

Yer particularly when he can drag his midfield opponent forward, makes him even more damaging and not on a true defender.

The biggest thing for me tho is confidence, those games last year let him know he belongs, a bit like Dylan Moore - if he can double down on that and really Star this season we might see completely different Nash. We might even see him get more creative with the Gaelic style kicks. I reckon he will star this year, big hopes.

Saw him down the street to, his an absolute unit.
I must admit I thought he should be cut from the list prior to the midfield move.

And Dylan Moore is a good example. His final game vs Gold Coast was top class.

He's close to my favorite player.
Nash really would be a massive win if he could build on his form from last year.

I must admit I thought he should be cut from the list prior to the midfield move.

And Dylan Moore is a good example. His final game vs Gold Coast was top class.

He's close to my favorite player.
Nash really would be a massive win if he could build on his form from last year.

Cheers for your honesty JZedd. Its amazing how many Moore and Nash bashers are now singing their praises. The rubbish posted about both of these players in particular was really poor IMO. As they say haters gonna hate - until they get proven wrong and then become the head cheerleaders...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers for your honesty JZedd. Its amazing how many Moore and Nash bashers are now singing their praises. The rubbish posted about both of these players in particular was really poor IMO. As they say haters gonna hate - until they get proven wrong and then become the head cheerleaders...

I find it amazing how the vibe is play the kids but then they want them cut unless they’re the next bont inside 20 games

It’s rebuild rebuild rebuild but many don’t have the stomach for it

Even when Nash was struggling on the forward line, I was hoping we would persevere with him. He is such a rare package because of his size and athleticism. He is also a very neat tacker - hits hard and low and makes them stick - and has some tricks. All this was evident when he played forward but he always looked a bit out of his depth and like many I wondered if he would ever get the hang of AFL. The move to the middle was a revelation. He immediately looked as if he had been playing the game since he was a tot. The moral to the story is that VFL forward work does not have much in common with either Gaelic football or rugby.

As someone who supported Nash, but had given up on Moore becoming a best 22 player, any doubt I had in either wasn't as much about them as the position they were played in. Moore was hidden in a pocket where he was expected to play a Puopolo, Rioli style role that he didn't have the pace for. I assumed he'd be lost to the AFL based on that and not because he wasn't talented. I think there were a few Nash doubters that felt similar.

What about the other way, go with those dangerous mid-forward types when they go forward who flourish with the match up they usually find.

Could he go back with Martin, Bont, Petracca... and use his size, height and speed to blanket them?

Forward he didn't look any great shakes, I don't think marking will ever be his go but stopping those types getting a grab at it might be easier.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What about the other way, go with those dangerous mid-forward types when they go forward who flourish with the match up they usually find.

Could he go back with Martin, Bont, Petracca... and use his size, height and speed to blanket them?

Forward he didn't look any great shakes, I don't think marking will ever be his go but stopping those types getting a grab at it might be easier.

Interesting question. I wouldn't back him in right now in a one on one with any of those types (you could probably add Fyfe and Stringer). However he has the height advantage and his marking is improving. I am looking forward to his development this year. I don't think we really know what he can do yet.

I think he would get lost in the defensive structures, but maybe in time. His forward defence was surprisingly good tho

I expected Nash to be cut, and was all aboard team #playthekids. There's no denying that he was completely lost up forward and was not able to impact games even defensively - which was the one thing he was brought in the side to do.

The reason for that seems to have been a complete lack in confidence, which was in turn was seemingly because he was being played in the wrong position. When he's in the middle he can play on instinct and can use his physical gifts to have an impact, even without the ball.

At the end of the season the whole midfield unit looked much better with Nash and Wingard in it. It seemed to me that there was more space for players to move, and I think that is largely because of Nash's physical presence (and also a slight set-up change in general).

Forget the strong tackles, several clearances each game and 20 odd touches - that extra room for everyone else was the biggest bonus of his late season move into the middle.

Anyway people have told me that I just hate Nash, which is simply laughable. The reality is I love the story of players coming from overseas and succeeding (in all sports), it's always interesting to me.

I expected Nash to be cut, and was all aboard team #playthekids. There's no denying that he was completely lost up forward and was not able to impact games even defensively - which was the one thing he was brought in the side to do.

The reason for that seems to have been a complete lack in confidence, which was in turn was seemingly because he was being played in the wrong position. When he's in the middle he can play on instinct and can use his physical gifts to have an impact, even without the ball.

At the end of the season the whole midfield unit looked much better with Nash and Wingard in it. It seemed to me that there was more space for players to move, and I think that is largely because of Nash's physical presence (and also a slight set-up change in general).

Forget the strong tackles, several clearances each game and 20 odd touches - that extra room for everyone else was the biggest bonus of his late season move into the middle.

Anyway people have told me that I just hate Nash, which is simply laughable. The reality is I love the story of players coming from overseas and succeeding (in all sports), it's always interesting to me.
You said play the kids. You said delist Nash. Nash was a kid. Then you wonder why people think you hate Nash. Bewildering.

I think he would get lost in the defensive structures, but maybe in time. His forward defence was surprisingly good tho
I think its more using his size/athleticism to cover the big opposition mids surging forward from the contest/stoppage rather than defending deep per se. He’s one of few players with speed to catch/keep up and effect a proper tackle for when say petracca runs forward. While some players can keep up not many can also stop a clean handball out.

You said play the kids. You said delist Nash. Nash was a kid. Then you wonder why people think you hate Nash. Bewildering.

"Play the kids" wasn't me just wanting the club to play every single kid on the list. I wanted to see younger players in the side over someone like Shiels and McEvoy, or Stratton and Puopolo in previous seasons.

This is all completely unrelated to my belief that Nash wasn't up to the level. After Nash's performances at Box Hill I was happy to see him get another go, only for him to stink it up in the forward line again and subsequently be dropped. After that I thought he was done.

Now this is an easy concept to understand. But what is bewildering is that you weren't able to work it out for yourself, and your continual conflation of "not rating" and "hating," despite having that humongous brain that you do just love to tell us all about.

Last edited:

I rewatched a few of the games where Nash was in the centre and there were a few reasons why those games coincided with better midfield performances. As a midfield unit we were drawn less to the contest, we had more people occupying the outside of the contest which didn't allow easy clearances against us, and with guys like Nash and Newcombe we also had players who provided significant on ball pressure and didn't allow the ball to leak out to more damaging opposition players on the outside.

The set-up change was the key part, that said, it was the change up in players that allowed it to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back