Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved his game tonight, very impressive. Got good leg speed and his height allows him to be a marking target. A lot of potential. Although he's still got a very gaelic sort of approach towards goal where he sort of heavily favours his right side and isn't balanced when he kicks it. Hopefully he can improve on this.

In gaelic football you rarely kick the ball 'straight-on' when you are shooting at goal.
If you are running at speed and can't move off to the side you would more typically slice across the ball with the outside of your boot.
Dropping it onto his boot in more of a punting action is going against his natural instincts to a certain extent.
It will take him a while to get used to that, particularly for set shots.

I've seen a few references to his rugby background, and I think the influence of this on his skill-set is being overstated a bit.
For context, Conor is from the same county as me and grew up playing midfield in gaelic football for Simonstown Gaels.
In GF, you typically put your tallest guy midfield to contest kick-outs, but he also has to have serious mobility to get up and down the field and support defence & attack.
We obviously don't have an aussie rules style tackle so Conor would have been encouraged to run hard & direct at the opposition.
Bigger field than rugby so you need a bigger tank to get around.
Not denying he would have a few tricks from rugby which would help, specifically his tackling ability, but he's primarily a gaelic footballer who also played rugby (as opposed to vice versa).
Didn't he represent the country in u18 rugby though. That's a pretty high level for his "second sport".

Connor made the hardest tackle of the night... bones were rattled, yet the tackle was fair.
And he knew to go low for the the Impey/Gresham/Nash sandwich. That was well done for a guy 198cm.
7 tackles for the night, after 5 on debut last week. He is building a resume.

gnash means "to strike the teeth together“. Sort of fits for a Connor Nash tackle.

Edit: Conor... :drunk:

Last edited:
Really like what I’ve seen so far . Obviously has some great physical attributes but I love his want to contest.

Will be fascinating to see what position the club develops him in too . At the minute a pressuring forward seems a good fit occasionally pushing up the ground

His kicking will improve. So will his game craft . Building blocks are definitely there .

Really like what I’ve seen so far . Obviously has some great physical attributes but I love his want to contest.

Will be fascinating to see what position the club develops him in too . At the minute a pressuring forward seems a good fit occasionally pushing up the ground

His kicking will improve. So will his game craft . Building blocks are definitely there .
Just watched the game back. He was two straight kicks away from an absolute top class performance. Had a brilliant first half, continued to find plenty of the ball and played his role beautifully, he should be stoked.

I believe he'll hold his spot for next week, but I hope he can work out that set shot routine. Obviously he thinks it works for him, but I wonder if we'll see a drop punt or the nine-iron in the future...

Interestingly enough I have watched Box Hill on tv a couple of times and Nash's kicking for goal was "gun barrel" straight, so I was a bit surprised by his set shots last night. I have no doubt he will improve on that.
Importantly his forward pressure was exceptional and I hope will emulate Cyril in creating panic among defenders.
Disclaimer: I am an unashamed fan of the two Conors and have high hopes for both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen a few references to his rugby background, and I think the influence of this on his skill-set is being overstated a bit.
For context, Conor is from the same county as me and grew up playing midfield in gaelic football for Simonstown Gaels.
In GF, you typically put your tallest guy midfield to contest kick-outs, but he also has to have serious mobility to get up and down the field and support defence & attack.
We obviously don't have an aussie rules style tackle so Conor would have been encouraged to run hard & direct at the opposition.
Bigger field than rugby so you need a bigger tank to get around.
Not denying he would have a few tricks from rugby which would help, specifically his tackling ability, but he's primarily a gaelic footballer who also played rugby (as opposed to vice versa).

That is weird because both himself and his parents said the opposite....

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fastest player on the ground last night, put in the most sprinting efforts and the most repeat sprinting efforts. Equal game high tackles and had an absolutely elite score involvement/possession ratio.

He'd have been a first round pick easily had he grown up with the sport.

For BHH watchers, has his kicking been an issue at BHH level?

His goal kicking reminds me of ex Collingwood ruckman, James Manson, which isn't great...

I have watched Nash a couple of times for Box Hill and was impressed with his kicking. Regular Box Hill watchers may want to elaborate further.
James Manson had a dreadful kicking technique and is not comparable to Nash who I suspect will eventually be an elite kick.

Loved his game tonight, very impressive. Got good leg speed and his height allows him to be a marking target. A lot of potential. Although he's still got a very gaelic sort of approach towards goal where he sort of heavily favours his right side and isn't balanced when he kicks it. Hopefully he can improve on this.

Hopefully it will come with practice.

After the way he played last night, I think he needs to change his name to Conan. When he really hits his strides, he will be the destroyer of sides!

Already has. Cona Nash. Not much of a stretch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back