Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to mention keeps him out of Tassie’s grasp if they get a similar OOC player grab deal that GC/GWS did.
Definitely won't keep him out of Tassie Cryptik's grasp

Glad he’s signed on but 5 years seems excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Seems to be the way at the moment. If you want to entice a quality player from another club, you have to offer the 5+ year deals. So in turn we had to be in that range too.

Well done Connor....I was standing right behind the goal when you played in the snow at Manuka.

The thing I love about Connor's story is that he seemed destined for success in Irish rugby or Gaelic, but he took a huge risk to move to the other side of the world and try to make it as a professional in a foreign sport. Good onya Connor. Love that you have made it

Don’t get me wrong, glad he’s signed. But 5 years is a long contract, conceding it is becoming more the norm recently, especially with enticements from opposition teams.

But a lot can change in 5 years… he could even elevate further. But at this point he’s had 1 season where he has stepped up to the level we need, and it took half of this season to get going again. He’s still at least out 3rd or 4th mid and as our younger guys develop it’s hard to see him ever being more than that.

He’s absolutely versatile and playing a good role in the team but he’s not exactly upper echelon elite. Wouldn’t have blinked at 3 years he thoroughly deserves that. Just think 5 is really your top tier player contracts.

Best of luck to him. He’s proven me wrong as a player already with where he’s got to. Hopefully the next 5 years he continues the rise.

Don’t get me wrong, glad he’s signed. But 5 years is a long contract, conceding it is becoming more the norm recently, especially with enticements from opposition teams.

But a lot can change in 5 years… he could even elevate further. But at this point he’s had 1 season where he has stepped up to the level we need, and it took half of this season to get going again. He’s still at least out 3rd or 4th mid and as our younger guys develop it’s hard to see him ever being more than that.

He’s absolutely versatile and playing a good role in the team but he’s not exactly upper echelon elite. Wouldn’t have blinked at 3 years he thoroughly deserves that. Just think 5 is really your top tier player contracts.

Best of luck to him. He’s proven me wrong as a player already with where he’s got to. Hopefully the next 5 years he continues the rise.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has another top 5 PCM finish.
He is very highly rated within the four walls.

He is only going to get better and is still young - absolutely stoked for this guy

Watched him in the VFL in his first season playing against Coburg. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him sprint from back pocket across the entire length of the ground to get on the end of a handball to kick a goal. His athleticism was something I hadn't really seen since Kouta. Said to my mate after the goal if this kid learns how to play AFL he will become an absolute weopon for us

In the same game I said to my mate that I liked the look of our young first year forward/relieving ruck. Didn't do much on the day but there was something about him. Player was Mitch Lewis

He is only going to get better and is still young - absolutely stoked for this guy

Watched him in the VFL in his first season playing against Coburg. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him sprint from back pocket across the entire length of the ground to get on the end of a handball to kick a goal. His athleticism was something I hadn't really seen since Kouta. Said to my mate after the goal if this kid learns how to play AFL he will become an absolute weopon for us

In the same game I said to my mate that I liked the look of our young first year forward/relieving ruck. Didn't do much on the day but there was something about him. Player was Mitch Lewis
Agreed, I was all aboard the Nash train the minute I saw the videos of him playing Gaelic and running down the wing, sprinting away from a kid half his size. Someone that big and that quick just has to click with this sport.

Could you imagine watching a 5-minute Nash highlight reel? I don't think my back could take it. Watching one of those tackles live is enough to make me wince.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely won't keep him out of Tassie Cryptik's grasp
I think the club were really concerned that we would lose Tassie Cryptik's membership if Nash went. Good to see we continue to be the family club looking after everyone.

Really drives home just how much he has had to learn and adapt to play the game. Even just the way he's moving on the basketball court in that video is so unnatural and awkward looking. Compared to now where you can sometimes see the Irish influence in some of the clever instinctual things he does, but he otherwise looks like he's been playing the game his whole life.

It is a miracle that he stuck it out for so long playing in positions that didn't suit him when it sounds like he could have gone home at any point and been a Bontempelli-like figure playing GAA or Union in Ireland.

Really drives home just how much he has had to learn and adapt to play the game. Even just the way he's moving on the basketball court in that video is so unnatural and awkward looking. Compared to now where you can sometimes see the Irish influence in some of the clever instinctual things he does, but he otherwise looks like he's been playing the game his whole life.

It is a miracle that he stuck it out for so long playing in positions that didn't suit him when it sounds like he could have gone home at any point and been a Bontempelli-like figure playing GAA or Union in Ireland.
All of those out-of-position games have still been part of his development. He knows what to do and where to be so much more in any given position and situation.

All of those out-of-position games have still been part of his development. He knows what to do and where to be so much more in any given position and situation.
That's a good point, GG. Nothing is wasted. I think he is on he way to becoming a true utility. He has been used as a loose kick-in target at times this year and his forward craft is quite good - mostly GAs but I can see him having more scoreboard impact as he develops his overhead marking. He will often get uneven contests because of his size.

If 5 years seems too long for some, consider our midfield coming up against him for the next 3-4 in his prime. I'm much happier to have him in the centre protecting our guys and crunching theirs than the other way around.

He may slow up once he ticks over 30 but until then, someone has to have the skill set to replace him in the side and I don't see anyone who has the versatility on our current list except Wedds. But I'm sure Sam has other plans for Wedds which won't effect how Conor plays his role in the side.

toy story cup GIF

Agreed, I also think he would have looked even more out of place if we tried putting him in the midfield in 2018. Remember he was picked in the side for finals as a forward pocket back then when clearly still very raw and not knowing what to do.

Having minimal instructions of, chase, tackle, stand under high ball etc.. was a lower risk. We saw earlier in the year that even MacDonald whose played his whole life and was a gun midfielder as a junior in his 3rd AFL season basically playing every game since drafted, was a liability in centre bounces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2029!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back