Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Harry Morrison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Played a very good game. I hope he can really build on this performance.

He played really well against North earlier in the year then couldn’t back it up against the faster, better teams.

He does a lot really well and works very hard out there just needs to find a way to stay involved.

If only he was faster he’d nearly be the perfect winger.

Just want to echo the sentiment that Morrison deserves more credit than he gets from a lot of the fanbase.

He might not have any standout athletic attributes or skills, but what I think he does have is an athletic and skill profile that is without any glaring weaknesses.

But that’s not to say he doesn’t have standout qualities. I’d argue his work rate, focus/concentration, and leadership are all well above the average AFL player.

Watching at the ground on Sunday he worked as hard as anyone to defend his wing. And I often saw him directing his teammates to fill gaps in the zone and taking charge to direct them when to drop off their man when chasing which would have created space Carlton could have used to get through.

Harry was a large reason our team defence was so strong and he worked just as hard when the team streamed forward. 10 score involvements, behind only Moore with 11.

Holds his spot indefinitely while providing that output.

Morrison is the ultimate teammate. One of the best defensively in transition and always where he needs to be when we have the ball and when we don't have it. When Sam talks about predictability to your teammates, Morrison exemplifies this. He has a great football IQ and does everything very well including kicking for goal.

Might be a surprise asset now that the rest of the team have become predictable to each other. Going to be interesting at selection this week

................ Going to be interesting at selection this week

Yep. Not sure if others heard what I did during the post game presser by Mitch, but when asked about Harry he kind of uhm'd about being too complimentary, mentioning that Jiath was perhaps a touch unlucky to miss out playing and that he was having 'this one off' but could have played if it was THE game to get the team into finals.

Sammy seems more wedded to Jiath than supporters on here, and anyone expecting that Moz is now in permanent ink on the whiteboard might be a little disappointed.

Yep. Not sure if others heard what I did during the post game presser by Mitch, but when asked about Harry he kind of uhm'd about being too complimentary, mentioning that Jiath was perhaps a touch unlucky to miss out playing and that he was having 'this one off' but could have played if it was THE game to get the team into finals.

Sammy seems more wedded to Jiath than supporters on here, and anyone expecting that Moz is now in permanent ink on the whiteboard might be a little disappointed.
CJ is obviously well ahead of Morrison when it comes to athleticism. Which means he can cover more ground and quicker. He's also better in the air and has a longer range kick.

Morrison I'd have ahead of CJ on tackling, short precision kicks, and (this is more subjective) reading the play.

I think what Sam likes about CJ on that wing is that he is a strong middle distance runner. He can get up and back all game but can also sprint with the best. There's also an x-factor potential to his game that most don't have.

Morrison will never be able to do what CJ does better than him, but CJ can work on the stuff Morrison is currently better at - and the difference there is already a lot closer.

I wouldn't be surprised if CJ comes back in but Morrison holds his spot in the team while somebody else is another "late out" with soreness.

CJ is obviously well ahead of Morrison when it comes to athleticism. Which means he can cover more ground and quicker. He's also better in the air and has a longer range kick.

Morrison I'd have ahead of CJ on tackling, short precision kicks, and (this is more subjective) reading the play.

I think what Sam likes about CJ on that wing is that he is a strong middle distance runner. He can get up and back all game but can also sprint with the best. There's also an x-factor potential to his game that most don't have.

Morrison will never be able to do what CJ does better than him, but CJ can work on the stuff Morrison is currently better at - and the difference there is already a lot closer.

I wouldn't be surprised if CJ comes back in but Morrison holds his spot in the team while somebody else is another "late out" with soreness.

Agree with every word.

We'll need CJ up and about for finals, if that means he gets another week off, so be it. If CJ is back in then Harry can move to sub and Breust or Gunston can have a week off.

Harry would be a great sub option. No disrespect to Breust, but Harry is a much better option for sub. Can play any medium to small position, whereas Breust has only one at this stage of his career.

Harry would be a great sub option. No disrespect to Breust, but Harry is a much better option for sub. Can play any medium to small position, whereas Breust has only one at this stage of his career.
Morrison is indeed a great sub option. Not sure he’s a “much better” one than Breust though.

Breust has proven to be very good at coming on late and impacting the scoreboard.

The fact Breust would only ever come on to play small forward isn’t really a big deal either. The flexibility of the team means we can easily move a few around into other roles they have experience playing.

Morrison is indeed a great sub option. Not sure he’s a “much better” one than Breust though.

Breust has proven to be very good at coming on late and impacting the scoreboard.

The fact Breust would only ever come on to play small forward isn’t really a big deal either. The flexibility of the team means we can easily move a few around into other roles they have experience playing.
More flexibility has gotta be better, and if we need to sub early in the match I'd rather have Morrison than Breust.

More flexibility has gotta be better, and if we need to sub early in the match I'd rather have Morrison than Breust.
I get where you're coming from. If a sub can play more roles then it minimizes the amount of other changes needed to be made to the the line-up we've gone in with.

But I think if you have all the imbedded flexibility already in the best 22 like we have then it's better to think more tactically with the sub. Go for someone who could spark the side by impacting the game on the scoreboard. Or like in the case of the Collingwood game, a contingency plan that involves having someone who can tag if needed.

Anyway, just highlights our quality depth with how many good sub options we have available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold! Still laughing about the way he said " who the **** is Harry Morrison?"
Btw, harry has very good endurance, aerobic capacity to run all day all be it at a consistent pace without any burst and clean with his disposal. CJ isn't that far ahead of him imo, in fact H has been in arguably better form including BH games.

Has been dropped more than any player on our list, during an unsuccessful period for our club.

Yet he's continued to front up, and work his arse off at BH, week in week out.

Now he plays his 100th game when the team is flying, and at super exciting time for the club. And is in great form himself.

Should he perform well in the last 2 rounds, I see him lining up in our first final.

Well done lad. So well deserved, and a great story of perseverance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Harry is our most versatile player (well, may be 2nd most behind weddle now)
He can play tall, play small, play any position a part from ruck, and he plays the role asked of him

His biggest issue is that he has no outstanding feature. He's not super quick, he's not the best mark, only an above average kick and handball.

Has been dropped more than any player on our list, during an unsuccessful period for our club.

Yet he's continued to front up, and work his arse off at BH, week in week out.

Now he plays his 100th game when the team is flying, and at super exciting time for the club. And is in great form himself.

Should he perform well in the last 2 rounds, I see him lining up in our first final.

Well done lad. So well deserved, and a great story of perseverance.
Resilience/perseverance is one of the most important unmeasurable attributes not only for footballers but for everyone. Harry is a great example of how important it is to just keep plugging away no matter what.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Harry Morrison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back