Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

This ducking action was brought into the game by the Selwood twins who taught their younger brothers. Joel Selwood did the exact same thing as Ginni for the first ten years of his career. The only difference was Selwood did it 3-4 times a game whilst gathering 25-30 possessions. The AFL made a huge mistake by rewarding this ducking. What happened was younger players like Mathieson, Weightman and Ginni decided to emulate Selwood but did it every time they got the ball. There was some backlash against these young players. So for last 5 years of his career Joel Selwood changed to shrugging both of his shoulders while going low to draw a high free kick. Ginni needs to stop doing this action for 3-4 weeks and then bring back a more subtle shoulder shrug so it is not so obvious for the umpires.

Last edited:
It's fine to contact the club, but will they admit that publicly? As no player should ever be adjudicated differently.

It also really highlighted how amateurish the umpires were when Brad Close threw himself into the legs of a stationary Hawk and received a free kick.

All fans want to see is consistency, not guesswork.
I'm sure all she's admitting to is that they made errors and free kicks should have been paid. She is not admitting to a conspiracy against Ginny, just saying that umpires didn't make the correct call and missed free kicks. We really need umpires to be full time so these guys can go through a video review and be questioned by their coaches, "why did you miss that free?" "you were in correct spot and had clear vision, what were you looking at to not see the high contact?"

My suggestion to Ginny, is to go with short sleeves and get a very boring short back and sides haircut so in the heat of the contest the umpires can't quickly identify it's the guy in long sleeves and headband and not pay a free.

Laura Kane of the AFL contacted the HFC today and said their umpires got it wrong yesterday.
This sounds more like the AFL trying to nip things in the bud early and trying to take heat out of the conversation and off umpires.

At the end of the day, the umpires are umpiring with different standards, which when directed at two players specifically is unsportsmanlike behaviour and we should have fair grounds to refuse certain umpires if it keeps happening, our lack of vocalness here compared to other clubs is the bit that drives me up the wall.

But in a weird way it will make a stronger side, so let it keep happening but and the big but, the club needs to swing for the hills for the players

I'm sure all she's admitting to is that they made errors and free kicks should have been paid. She is not admitting to a conspiracy against Ginny, just saying that umpires didn't make the correct call and missed free kicks. We really need umpires to be full time so these guys can go through a video review and be questioned by their coaches, "why did you miss that free?" "you were in correct spot and had clear vision, what were you looking at to not see the high contact?"

My suggestion to Ginny, is to go with short sleeves and get a very boring short back and sides haircut so in the heat of the contest the umpires can't quickly identify it's the guy in long sleeves and headband and not pay a free.
The way it was explained to me was she freely admitted to the error, apologised for it and particularly as Geelong got similar free kicks, she wanted the AFL to be “on the front foot”. I don’t believe she got into the conspiracy theory.

Jeez the stats in this article are interesting 21 high contact frees in his first year, down to four last year after the AFL's stance on ducking the shoulder changed, and just a single free kick as a Hawk

This sounds more like the AFL trying to nip things in the bud early and trying to take heat out of the conversation and off umpires.
Sounds to me like the AFL contacting a club (which is entitled to query some umpiring calls) and acknowledging the calls were wrong.

Nothing more.

The way it was explained to me was she freely admitted to the error, apologised for it and particularly as Geelong got similar free kicks, she wanted the AFL to be “on the front foot”. I don’t believe she got into the conspiracy theory.
Well done to the AFL - the right thing to do on her part... It's quite rare the AFL does it.

Not going to lie though, it doesn't make me less angry at the AFL though, especially when i see Ginni go off with a blood nose.

This ducking action was brought into the game by the Selwood twins who taught their younger brothers. Joel Selwood did the exact same thing as Ginni for the for first ten years of his career. The only difference was Selwood did it 3-4 times a game whilst gathering 25-30 possessions. The AFL made a huge mistake by rewarding this ducking. What happened was younger players like Mathieson, Weightman and Ginni decided to emulate Selwood but did it every time they got the ball. There was some backlash against these young players. So for last 5 years of his career Joel Selwood changed to shrugging both of his shoulders while going low to draw a high free kick. Ginni needs to stop doing this action for 3-4 weeks and then bring back a more subtle shoulder shrug so it is not so obvious for the umpires.
I don’t know what game you were watching. I did not see Ginnivan drop his knees or his shoulder. Ginnivan has learnt this action has to be removed from his game. I very much agree with this attitude. He was clearly taken high.

Fabulous news, we’re so grateful AFL for shedding your newfound wisdom.
Now we can all rest assured.

Undoubtedly Ginnivan (and Watson too when he’s back playing) will get the 3 or 4 frees each week that are warranted.

Or else it’s just f*cking lip service and the blinkered umpires will give us a fair week and then revert to their entrenched biased umpiring. Just as they did with Buddy for a decade and a half with us and Sydney, and as they’re doing with Sicily now.
And as they did with Selwood in the reverse manner throughout his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Macrae, but he really threw Ginni under the bus with that horse race thing. First time Ginni hears its an issue is when Macrae is slagging him off to the media. Pretty poor to not mention anything to him first.

Ginnivan "read the room" and left. Schultz deal was done only thing left was a good old public humiliation from the coach to get things moving.

Hang on - he wasn’t getting these sort of frees back in 2022…..and still kicked 40 for the year.
Ginnivan received 21 free kicks for high contact in 2022 when he kicked 40 goals as a rookie at Collingwood. That number dropped to just four last year after a directive from the AFL to not reward players who attempt to draw free kicks.

I don’t know what game you were watching. I did not see Ginnivan drop his knees or his shoulder. Ginnivan has learnt this action has to be removed from his game. I very much agree with this attitude. He was clearly taken high.

All the clear frees yesterday (three of them) had no dropping or whatever, just blatant arm across the shoulder/neck from a player behind him. He didn't drop, he didn't shrug or whatever - he played the ball, got fouled and got nothing.

Ginnivan received 21 free kicks for high contact in 2022 when he kicked 40 goals as a rookie at Collingwood. That number dropped to just four last year after a directive from the AFL to not reward players who attempt to draw free kicks.
That is clear evidence he is being umpired differently.

Terrific article in The Age expressing Peter Schwab’s views on Ginnivan’s non-free kicks.
I’ve got a lot of time for Schwabby.

He’s a former director of the umpires, as well as having done everything else in footy.

He refers to the umpires “subconscious bias” when not awarding Ginnivan the frees he clearly should have got.
I’ve absolutely no doubt that his views, expressed privately, would be a lot stronger than that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back