Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mentioned in the Dear thread about Brayshaw's commentary sucking the energy out of footy.

How's this one.
"Newcombe... they're in front"

I don't mind the less is more approach for televised games as I enjoy hearing the crowd going nuts. But for anyone listening there they would not know how Newcombe had kicked that great goal.

Mentioned in the Dear thread about Brayshaw's commentary sucking the energy out of footy.

How's this one.

Quite a contrast to Hudson's "Who does he think he is, Dunstall? ... HE IS!!".

I don't mind the less is more approach for televised games as I enjoy hearing the crowd going nuts. But for anyone listening there they would not know how Newcombe had kicked that great goal.
You wouldn't know he'd kicked a goal at all tbh

Not everything has to be a quip like some callers seem to think, but how easy is it to just say "Newcombe around the body from 45... goal!"

How's this one.

Brayshaw cannot find the middle ground.

He's next level on Triple M, but has clearly been told to tone it way down for television. Unfortunately he tones it down way too far.

Imagine being a Collingwood supporter rewatching your beloved 2024 Grand Final replay and you have to endure that Steele Sidebottom bomb from 50..

'..wow!'.

That's all you could muster up JB?

King absolutely adores Newk.

Basically said if he was taken at pick 5 as opposed to MSD the greater footy media would be looking at him in a completely different light. Star of the comp.

"Bontempelli in a different jumper"

King absolutely adores Newk.

Basically said if he was taken at pick 5 as opposed to MSD the greater footy media would be looking at him in a completely different light. Star of the comp.

"Bontempelli in a different jumper"
About time he started to get some love. Been one of the best players in the comp in the second half of the season. Rated no 2 by champion data in last 6 weeks.

He has all the attributes to win a Brownlow and be one of the best in comp for a number of years.

Absolute star.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes '23 + '24:

1. N. Daicos 225
2. M. Bontempelli 195
3. L. Neale 192
4. Z. Butters 187
5. C. Serong 186
6. P. Cripps 177
7. E. Gulden 176
8. Z. Merrett 156
9. N. Anderson 144
10. J. Newcombe 142

Top 10 player in the comp according to the coaches over the last 2 season. I'd say that is pretty elite company.

Coaches votes '23 + '24:

1. N. Daicos 225 (30 wins)
2. M. Bontempelli 195 (26 wins)
3. L. Neale 192 (31 wins)
4. Z. Butters 187 (33 wins)
5. C. Serong 186 (22 wins)
6. P. Cripps 177 (26 wins)
7. E. Gulden 176 (29 wins)
8. Z. Merrett 156 (22 wins)
9. N. Anderson 144 (20 wins)
10. J. Newcombe 142 (21 wins)

Top 10 player in the comp according to the coaches over the last 2 season. I'd say that is pretty elite company.
Even more impressive when you overlay the number of wins by each team in that period (given the 5s and 4s usually go to the winning team) and the evenness of our team.

Most of the above had a lot more opportunity to rack up big votes than Duke and/or also benefitted from being basically the only reason their club can win a game (Merrett, Anderson and Cripps). Would be fascinated as to the number of scoring games by each player over the last two years.

Sneaky chance at a Brownlow next year if his (and the teams) form holds although suspect, like our great teams, that there might be too many taking votes off him (Day, Moore, Sicily)

Even more impressive when you overlay the number of wins by each team in that period (given the 5s and 4s usually go to the winning team) and the evenness of our team.

Most of the above had a lot more opportunity to rack up big votes than Duke and/or also benefitted from being basically the only reason their club can win a game (Merrett, Anderson and Cripps). Would be fascinated as to the number of scoring games by each player over the last two years.

Sneaky chance at a Brownlow next year if his (and the teams) form holds although suspect, like our great teams, that there might be too many taking votes off him (Day, Moore, Sicily)

This years Norm Smith Medalist.

It's never the greatest measure of influence but Newcombe has been the highest rated player on the ground according to champion data in all 4 games (well, 3.9 games) that Will Day missed. It's a tremendous effort that almost got us into a prelim.

Despite a poor moment just before half time he was by far our cleanest player, I think him and Day will be one of the best midfield duos in the comp next season.

It's never the greatest measure of influence but Newcombe has been the highest rated player on the ground according to champion data in all 4 games (well, 3.9 games) that Will Day missed. It's a tremendous effort that almost got us into a prelim.

Despite a poor moment just before half time he was by far our cleanest player, I think him and Day will be one of the best midfield duos in the comp next season.

His finals matches have confirmed that his game made for September, so it's great to see that recognized in the player ratings.

As you mention, that's not always the case.

The Newcombe curve got a little steeper over the past couple of weeks.

His finals matches have confirmed that his game made for September, so it's great to see that recognized in the player ratings.

As you mention, that's not always the case.

The Newcombe curve got a little steeper over the past couple of weeks.
I can't remember the last time a Hawthorn player was the highest rated player on the ground 4 weeks in a row either. Newcombe being built for finals is one of my main takeaways from quite a fruitful season, so excited for him to hit the ground running from round 1 next year, could easily make AA.

Our best player in both finals. I hope he wins the Crimmins on that alone.

He lacked class midfield support last night without Day and that was probably the difference. But Newcombe has stamped himself as a truly elite midfielder who stands up in finals. He will be pivotal to future finals success

I had Scrim pipping Newk for the Yabby but he was the best mid on the ground by far for either team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back