Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2024 Peter Crimmins medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he needs to get that out of his game. The one weakness in his game is that he gets caught holding the ball frequently. It won’t cut it in finals.
Can't say I've noticed him getting caught frequently. Even if you assume he gives away no other type of frees he's only giving away just over 1 a game which is on par with most of the other bullocking mids in the game.

Worpel is the one that gets caught a bit.

His ability to break tackles, get from inside a contest to the outside is what sets him apart from other mids, his bullocking and power is next level. To take that away would destroy his game. He also gives away 1 free a game. Even if every single one of those was a holding the ball (which it isn’t), the good still far outweighs the bad
Agree 100%

To ask Newk to stop breaking tackles because he gets caught every once in a while would be like asking Steph Curry to stop shooting threes cause he misses about half of them 😂

Let the player play!

Would like him to get close to 20 goals next season.

If we can get 35+ goals a season from Newcombe, Worpel and Day it would be a great return.

He does?

I watch him incredibly closely and I honestly can't recall that many times. Do you have any stats to back it up?

He did just break the record for broken tackles in a season too didn't he?
Of course he doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am no doubt terribly biased, however, wouldn't swap him for any other mid in the competition including golden boy Daicos - still has material upside
Agreed, my also biased opinion is he is the best young mid in the comp.

Can't be tackled, contested ball winning beast, and a lazer boot.

If he can average close to 30 a game, he will win a Brownlow.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I heard talk they wanted to shoot a commercial with Jai Newcombe and a tiger. During the shoot Newcombe had to sit very close to the tiger and hold up a product, but as he approached and crouched to sit, the tiger let out a low growl. The tiger handler, quietly said "Get up very slowly, and and slow as you can back away with no sudden movements." So the tiger got up very slowly, and and slow as it could, backed away with no sudden movements.

From the man himself:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2024 Peter Crimmins medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back