Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like the 2018/19 natural instinct for the footy Worpel back tho, the confidence and performance issues has really had an impact here

Bit like Tom Mitchell to he is one that would benefit from some extra size
He doesn’t need size, he needs balance. The single biggest factor in his drop in form since 2019 is that opposition mids know they can easily pressure him to ground. If anything, I’d strip a bit of weight off to improve his agility and mobility generally.

He doesn’t need size, he needs balance. The single biggest factor in his drop in form since 2019 is that opposition mids know they can easily pressure him to ground. If anything, I’d strip a bit of weight off to improve his agility and mobility generally.
Yeah he goes to ground in almost every contest now, its really strange. You would think his core strength would be so much better now.

He may have had 30+, but I'd certainly not accuse Worps of being a class above VFL level from that video.
Good to see significant (albeit edited) vision of both Finn and Worps from the messy VFL win over North. My key observation is:

1. Both are keen to get rid of it very quickly, but it’s often messy.
2. Finn often followed up his first (erroneous) possession to clean up, but he shouldn’t need to if he is clean with the first give by hand
3. Worps is banging it on the boot by instinct (which he has done since juniors). To show improvement, at this level, he needs to be more composed and buy himself a bit more time at the contest.

The big issue for both (effort isn’t a problem) is being able to push off quickly and/or find that little bit of space coming out of the contest. This enables them to make more composed decisions. Once they start doing it at VFL level, THEN they get a shot back at AFL level.

I’m not saying either of them will become a Shaun Burgoyne or Scott Pendlebury, but they need to start showing that type of ability to find space in traffic at VFL level in order to step back up to the seniors with confidence.

Good to see significant (albeit edited) vision of both Finn and Worps from the messy VFL win over North. My key observation is:

1. Both are keen to get rid of it very quickly, but it’s often messy.
2. Finn often followed up his first (erroneous) possession to clean up, but he shouldn’t need to if he is clean with the first give by hand
3. Worps is banging it on the boot by instinct (which he has done since juniors). To show improvement, at this level, he needs to be more composed and buy himself a bit more time at the contest.

The big issue for both (effort isn’t a problem) is being able to push off quickly and/or find that little bit of space coming out of the contest. This enables them to make more composed decisions. Once they start doing it at VFL level, THEN they get a shot back at AFL level.

I’m not saying either of them will become a Shaun Burgoyne or Scott Pendlebury, but they need to start showing that type of ability to find space in traffic at VFL level in order to step back up to the seniors with confidence.
Worpel is actually pretty good with finding space at either level around stoppages and centre bounces. He does well to work his opponent to the opposite side of where he thinks the ball will drop and then pushes off said opponent gaining a heap of space to his preferred position.

This element of his game is not an issue IMO. It’s knowing when to do it. If you get space from your opponent around stoppages and centre bounces but DONT get the footy, the player you are accountable for will burn you.

It’s why he needs more games at VFL against a better midfield group. He got beaten convincingly against a quality VFL Suns midfield the week prior. The good thing is this is completely trainable and common for players who are low on confidence.

There’s a quality AFL player in Worpel. He just needs to find it again.

Worpel is actually pretty good with finding space at either level around stoppages and centre bounces. He does well to work his opponent to the opposite side of where he thinks the ball will drop and then pushes off said opponent gaining a heap of space to his preferred position.

This element of his game is not an issue IMO. It’s knowing when to do it. If you get space from your opponent around stoppages and centre bounces but DONT get the footy, the player you are accountable for will burn you.

It’s why he needs more games at VFL against a better midfield group. He got beaten convincingly against a quality VFL Suns midfield the week prior. The good thing is this is completely trainable and common for players who are low on confidence.

There’s a quality AFL player in Worpel. He just needs to find it again.
I’m talking about finding space once he has GOT the ball, not in order to get it.

No need to worry about defending at the stoppage if you’ve got the pull in your hands.

He just needs to work on moving laterally to get away from defenders and find that extra split second before disposing of the ball.

Better than trying to fend off and getting slammmed

Some good points above about him going to ground. His kicking is a big issue too.

It is great that we aren't accepting of it and making him correct his game. Both him and the club will be better for it. I'm sure he will fix it he is a talent and hard worker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finished with 26 disposals, 12 clearances, 8 tackles and 2 goals.
25 clearances the last 2 weeks. That’s the sort of effort he needs to bring to AFL level. Do that and the rest will come in time.

25 clearances the last 2 weeks. That’s the sort of effort he needs to bring to AFL level. Do that and the rest will come in time.

Isn’t that part of the problem? Tom is playing the primary character player (or Jai?).

Isn’t that part of the problem? Tom is playing the primary character player (or Jai?).
Tom’s been shifted around out of the centre bounces in some games and had games where he’s been given a clear run at it.

And I see jai playing a different role to Worps.

Worps lack of form has been all his own doing

I would love for Worpel to have a real solid month of crushing the VFL before coming back in to the seniors. Get his hands on plenty of the pill and brim full of confidence.

I would love for Worpel to have a real solid month of crushing the VFL before coming back in to the seniors. Get his hands on plenty of the pill and brim full of confidence.
Agree.

In some ways if a player is frustrated at AFL level that they aren’t getting the role they covet (inside extractor), sending them back to VFL to play that role, then return with that desire “sated” makes some sense.

The key may be his mindset upon return to the seniors, ie. being more accepting of the half forward- inside mid - outside mid rotation Sam is putting the mids through, and embracing the need to be flexible.

I’d get him back in after the bye. Our midfield is a work in progress and he’s young enough to still be in the frame moving forward. There are obviously real concerns but I think he should be rewarded for going back and performing well

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back