Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He was fantastic 2019 no doubt, but that's now 3 years ago and remarkably his trajectory seems to be getting worse by the year since then.
Football ability doesn’t just disappear. Especially not from a 20 year old bnf winner.

He might not improve from that year. But at a minimum he should be able to get back to that level. Especially given how hard he works.

Which makes it all the more frustrating that he is struggling. And as frustrated as we are as fans I’m sure it’s even more frustrating for him.

Trajectory isn't linear, no reason not to back him in.

I think the concern would be that we've seen his absolute best, and most players don't play their absolute best week in week out.
Anything less than his best level is just good enough to hurt you.
He can find the pill, mostly, but has the hardest time producing a significant advantage with his execution and decision making.
He needs a script, but the problem is footy is free flowing and a series of ever changing scenarios that he attempts to Tazzie devil through.
I'd be happy to move on from him, say we can use his value to upgrade a late pick in the first round/or very early second (moving Tom along) 5-6 or so spots, to nab someone that excels in a particular point of need......Munkara come on down.:cool::fire:

Football ability doesn’t just disappear. Especially not from a 20 year old bnf winner.

He might not improve from that year. But at a minimum he should be able to get back to that level. Especially given how hard he works.

Which makes it all the more frustrating that he is struggling. And as frustrated as we are as fans I’m sure it’s even more frustrating for him.
I’m confident he can play better than he has been but to play devils advocate, Rhys Palmer peaked in his first year. It does happen.

I’m confident he can play better than he has been but to play devils advocate, Rhys Palmer peaked in his first year. It does happen.
Generally there’s another reason for it. Serious injuries, poor off field behaviour, not working hard enough.

Worps doesn’t fit any of these categories. At least not that I’ve heard of.

From a couple of interviews he has done it sounds like he puts a lot of pressure on himself and I wonder if that plays any part?

you don't know what injuries players play with and you have no idea of any off field issues - not saying Worpel does have but we have no idea
Pretty dumb to say we have no idea, not a single player caught up in a shit storm has ever come as surprise.

If a player doesnt miss a day pre-season, hasn't had surgery and doesnt miss games, pretty safe to say injuries have a minimal affect.

Pretty dumb to say we have no idea, not a single player caught up in a shit storm has ever come as surprise.

If a player doesnt miss a day pre-season, hasn't had surgery and doesnt miss games, pretty safe to say injuries have a minimal affect.
Could be as simple as a person having depression especially due to COVID and not seeing family for an extended period. Not all skeletons in the closet become public. Sometimes the club would not even know.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be as simple as a person having depression especially due to COVID and not seeing family for an extended period. Not all skeletons in the closet become public. Sometimes the club would not even know.
You're missing the entire point🤦‍♂️ Worpel is a player that will get the best out of himself and will return to his best unlike other examples of players that never did

Seem to be alot of theories as to why his form is down. Injury? Can't play alongside Tom? Being played out of position? Doesn't suit Sam's gamestyle?

But the concerning thing is that his form isn't an isolated dip. It's realistically been on a downward trajectory for 3 years and probably now at its low ebb.

Working on something or overcoming an issue to reverse a form dip is one thing. Reversing what's now a prolonged problem is quite another.

If it's maybe now all above the shoulders and a confidence issue then a change of club might be the best for him and the Hawks. These last few weeks is the first time I've been realistically thinking this. Having said that I still really hope Sam can help Worps turn things around. We know he can play.

Seem to be alot of theories as to why his form is down. Injury? Can't play alongside Tom? Being played out of position? Doesn't suit Sam's gamestyle?

But the concerning thing is that his form isn't an isolated dip. It's realistically been on a downward trajectory for 3 years and probably now at its low ebb.

Working on something or overcoming an issue to reverse a form dip is one thing. Reversing what's now a prolonged problem is quite another.

If it's maybe now all above the shoulders and a confidence issue then a change of club might be the best for him and the Hawks. These last few weeks is the first time I've been realistically thinking this. Having said that I still really hope Sam can help Worps turn things around. We know he can play.
Mental/Confidence would be my guess based on available evidence. Perhaps winning the PCM and entering the leadership group at such a young age has added a weight of expectation that he's struggled with. Leading to a vicious cycle of fear of disappointing people and panic that he hasn't been able to work his way out of poor form.

It makes me wonder if the decision to not have a leadership group this year was in any way Sam's attempt to alleviate some of that pressure from him without having to actually drop him from the group - which would always feel like a backwards step even if he was onboard with it all. I know there were other reasons stated for that decision to not have a leadership group but of course they'd need to have an explanation.

Players can have good runs when they burst into scene and everything is going right and opposition isn’t focused on them. But with performance comes attention and a players weaknesses get figured out and exploited.

Coaches figured out pretty quickly after 2019 that worpel just chased the ball (including getting sucked into contest) and wasn’t defensively accountable so could be exploited the other way. He is also a poor kick so okay to let me kick the ball but sweat on his options by hand.

The 2019 worpel isn’t coming back as coaches/opponents won’t let it. He has to improve / evolve his game which he has failed at. Other players have taken his inside spot further pushing him into roles he’s not suited to.

You’re not out of form for 3 years.

Players can have good runs when they burst into scene and everything is going right and opposition isn’t focused on them. But with performance comes attention and a players weaknesses get figured out and exploited.

Coaches figured out pretty quickly after 2019 that worpel just chased the ball (including getting sucked into contest) and wasn’t defensively accountable so could be exploited the other way. He is also a poor kick so okay to let me kick the ball but sweat on his options by hand.

The 2019 worpel isn’t coming back as coaches/opponents won’t let it. He has to improve / evolve his game which he has failed at. Other players have taken his inside spot further pushing him into roles he’s not suited to.

I think you've nailed it.
It's a big conundrum.
I reckon he's one of those players that would Iook good in a really good side.

I think you've nailed it.
It's a big conundrum.
I reckon he's one of those players that would Iook good in a really good side.
Spot on.

The difference is being midfielder 5/6 (2019) -v- midfielder 2/3 (2020 onwards).

Opposition actually put work into you when you become a regular in the midfield.

If he can’t deal with that level of scrutiny he needs to play in a team where he has the luxury of being midfielder 5/6 again.

Less pressure, less opposition focus. 🤷‍♂️

I would like the 2018/19 natural instinct for the footy Worpel back tho, the confidence and performance issues has really had an impact here

Bit like Tom Mitchell to he is one that would benefit from some extra size

We definitely saw him getting exposed defensively the last couple of years.

But I’m not sure it explains his ball winning falling off a cliff this year especially when he should have
more space this year. In the back end of 2020 and 21 he was showing some good form. So it’s not like it’s been forever since he’s been good.

In 2019 2 of best games North and Gold Coast came when he was being tagged. Difference was he was confident and on the move at the contest. And I think that’s the thing. He looks like he’s playing with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Hopefully a couple more games at VFL and he will be back.

This. At some point certain posters might have to just accept 2019 was a flash in the pan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back