Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood really lucky Worps turned when he did. Was absolutely trying to murder him.

Very soft moment from Selwood who claims to be a tough player but chose to go the man and hit someone in the head instead of putting his head over it and try to pick it up.
Actually thought he realised last minute he was about to get hit and tried to brace for contact, but Worps a step ahead and went around him

Interesting I was reading the Geelong board. Quite a bit of negativity towards the Geelong team and Scott the coach.

The Hawks boards actually have quite reasoned discussions here in comparison, although I guess it helps to have the best coach in the competition.

Anyway what struck me was the Geelong Boards was talking about Worpel and saying the reason he didn't get drafted was his disposal is poor (and I guess why Geelong didn't pick him earlier).

From the games I've watched he seems pretty good. Maybe he was carrying an injury during his junior footy years or the Hawks coaches have improved his kicking style with coaching and analytics? Does anyone have any background information on the improvement in Worps' disposal (if that is the case)?

Wow. I thought Selwood pulled out so he didn't destroy Worpel (and cop a ban), it looked like that from the original angle to me anyway.

But that vision there doesn't look good.

Actually thought he realised last minute he was about to get hit and tried to brace for contact, but Worps a step ahead and went around him
I also think it looks, just a little, like Selwood pulled up a bit. Maybe it's just the slow mo, but I see a change in his speed, and his feet move as if to plant a little rather than run through.

I'm no Selwood fan, but don't believe in tarring people when not deserved.

Selwood really lucky Worps turned when he did. Was absolutely trying to murder him.

Very soft moment from Selwood who claims to be a tough player but chose to go the man and hit someone in the head instead of putting his head over it and try to pick it up.
Should be cited for attempting to strike

I also think it looks, just a little, like Selwood pulled up a bit. Maybe it's just the slow mo, but I see a change in his speed, and his feet move as if to plant a little rather than run through.

You always plant your feet on impact, otherwise you go flying too. He literally puts all his body weight into making contact and almost falls on his arse when the Worpus is already gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worps lucky not to get 3x weeks for attempting to headbutt Selwood's elbow...

Pull up? Try to hit him? In any case it’s pretty obvious Selwood wasn’t prepared to put his head over the ball and take a hit from the worpedo ;)
To me he was trying to soccer it, probably struggles to get down that low at Pace anymore much like Hodgey
At the last minute when he realises he's been beaten and thinks he's about to be run through he gets the arm up and tries to brace himself but Worp speed goes around him and he almost falls over from the expected contact that didn't eventuate.

Don't think he lined him up and tried to take his head off as much as I'd like to say so

He's a keeper, that's for sure. Deserves a nomination this week. Back to back nominations if it happens, would be a first for the Hawks yeah?

I don't know who nominates the rising star each week, but if it's someone from the media, Worps has some task in front of him. Nominating two Hawks in succession just isn't on.

To me he was trying to soccer it, probably struggles to get down that low at Pace anymore much like Hodgey
At the last minute when he realises he's been beaten and thinks he's about to be run through he gets the arm up and tries to brace himself but Worp speed goes around him and he almost falls over from the expected contact that didn't eventuate.

Don't think he lined him up and tried to take his head off as much as I'd like to say so

exactly what i thought

He should be tarred, he was closer to the ball thanworpel initially, and shat his dacks, and pulled up. Head over the ball picking it up and nobody is questioning whether he might have attempted a strike. So brave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back