Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

Shame (not really) for Worpel is that due to us playing 2 finals, he will play 11 games this year and be ineligible for the Rising Star next year

Would've gone ok in it you would think
He won’t meet any of the new “implied criteria” set forth by the media last year.

1. First year player
2. Top 10 pick
3. Not play for Hawthorn

Sshhhh... keep the lid on this kid.

He's going to be a good player, let's keep him hungry & always looking to improve.

Whilst I agree that quite typically posters are going over the top.

But having said that nothing we say in here is going to have any bearing on how he plays, unless he trawls through the comments looking for posts about him.

But having said that nothing we say in here is going to have any bearing on how he plays, unless he trawls through the comments looking for posts about him.

Has been said by quite a few that players do pop on to Bigfooty - Gibbo mentioned it only a few years back. Wouldn't shock me if the younger lads are especially curious about what is being said on here.

G'day Worps, if you're reading. Keep killing it!

Has been said by quite a few that players do pop on to Bigfooty - Gibbo mentioned it only a few years back. Wouldn't shock me if the younger lads are especially curious about what is being said on here.

G'day Worps, if you're reading. Keep killing it!

Man I'd hope they don't. I really hope the club is smart enough to ward them away from sites like this.

Man I'd hope they don't. I really hope the club is smart enough to ward them away from sites like this.

Guarantee you part of the first year player induction is about how to avoid pages like this. It would be only natural for players to be tempted to read stuff that was written about them - I sure as hell would be checking it out if I was a player, if only for a laugh.

like you can stop them, or their mates getting on here and then telling them about it, or their family getting on here and reading about it

like you can stop them, or their mates getting on here and then telling them about it, or their family getting on here and reading about it

Wouldn't be at all shocked if some of them post on here for a laugh also. If I was a player I would probably join in on conversations potting myself just to stir the pot. Would all depend on the player - some would do well to never come on here, others would probably laugh off the criticism and find it funny that a bunch of armchair critics are saying what we do.

So, he wore 38 as a junior and is now playing in the 38.

Given he was "supposed" to be given 36 based on the Club's history of drafted players getting jumper numbers in draft order, he must have asked for it.

So, likely he stays in that for his career. Aesthetically pleasing number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be at all shocked if some of them post on here for a laugh also. If I was a player I would probably join in on conversations potting myself just to stir the pot. Would all depend on the player - some would do well to never come on here, others would probably laugh off the criticism and find it funny that a bunch of armchair critics are saying what we do.
Haha if ........you're Schoey, without doubt

Players would get a lot worse on social media.

At least there is some positivity on this board.

Agreed - I would be asking players to avoid Twitter like the plague.

Funnily enough I saw CJ posting on one of the Hawthorn Instagram posts saying 'First comment' like so many nuffies do on there. Then Dylan Moore replied to him saying he was his favourite player and to please follow him back. Was amusing to see them pulling the piss out of the comments they cop.

I'm predicting future captain, brownlow, norm smith, 7 x all Australian and 5 premierships. Is that really over the top? I'm not joking

As other posters have already mentioned, loved Smitty's comment that Warrior-pel couldn't give a shit about anything else going on except his footy.
Think we'll see pretty level efforts from the kid, nearly always good, sometimes damned good, not getting caught up by the bs going on around him. You could hear in his post match he's already fed up with the boring-as media back story about his family being Cats supporters and now how does that all work.....just stupid dross to him that he'd like people to get past and focus on the game itself.
That's a nice starting point for a player.
Just belongs at the level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back