Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm also not worried about him making it. In time, and with better contested football, he will be fine. Watched the whole game and anyone who thought he had more impact than Finn clearly didn't.
For what it's worth, Finn has been our best player at AFL level this year, how quickly some forget, whereas at this stage, Josh has been making up the numbers in the AFL team.
At this stage, Hustwaite looks a better proposition, as does Finn. Sam loves Ward, and knows his potential, but he'll never gift games, and you'd hope Finn is at the front of the queue at this stage (for a midfield berth)
OTOH, Watson is clearly a level above, and the coach's biggest headache this week will be working out how to fit him back in the side (if there are no injuries)
Finally, my guess is Reeves has an ankle issue, and that injury may solve his other headache selection problem.
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

I wouldn't rush Ward back in yet. I would like for him to have a really long block of pure inside midfield games at VFL level. Frustrates me seeing him getting wasted on the wing, no doubt it's great for his education but he needs to play in the guts.

He's doing so well and you can see his confidence building. He's starting to take the game on.

Next preseason will be the big watch for Ward. If his body strength can improve he will start to compete better against the AFL mids.

I wouldn't rush Ward back in yet. I would like for him to have a really long block of pure inside midfield games at VFL level. Frustrates me seeing him getting wasted on the wing, no doubt it's great for his education but he needs to play in the guts.

He's doing so well and you can see his confidence building. He's starting to take the game on.

Next preseason will be the big watch for Ward. If his body strength can improve he will start to compete better against the AFL mids.
Been out of the ones for nearly a month, don't think you could describe it as rushing him back!

I'm also not worried about him making it. In time, and with better contested football, he will be fine. Watched the whole game and anyone who thought he had more impact than Finn clearly didn't.
For what it's worth, Finn has been our best player at AFL level this year, how quickly some forget, whereas at this stage, Josh has been making up the numbers in the AFL team.
At this stage, Hustwaite looks a better proposition, as does Finn. Sam loves Ward, and knows his potential, but he'll never gift games, and you'd hope Finn is at the front of the queue at this stage (for a midfield berth)
OTOH, Watson is clearly a level above, and the coach's biggest headache this week will be working out how to fit him back in the side (if there are no injuries)
Finally, my guess is Reeves has an ankle issue, and that injury may solve his other headache selection problem.
I watched the game twice and Ward was almost BOG with Ramsden and Watson (who started slower).

Wards game was clearly way better than VFL, Ramsden bullied a VFL ruck and Watson is way too good for VFL.

Maginness worked hard, ate the footy and inside work was just too strong for his counterparts, Ward did the same with a lot more class and speed.

I watched the game twice and Ward was almost BOG with Ramsden and Watson (who started slower).

Wards game was clearly way better than VFL, Ramsden bullied a VFL ruck and Watson is way too good for VFL.

Maginness worked hard, ate the footy and inside work was just too strong for his counterparts, Ward did the same with a lot more class and speed.
Essendons VFL team is 💩

Grain of salt all round please

Essendons VFL team is 💩

Grain of salt all round please
Essendon’s midfield at VFL level is strong, Hately, Shiel and Setterfield is a good trio for the level. Watson clearly too good for the level and Ward is too, has shown this every week, just needs to continue to build on what he’s down there for, which he is.

Finn Maginness = voted our best player vs Gold Coast. ( 3 goals)
I get what you mean. Finn has been voted the best player in a game at AFL level this year, where as Ward has not? I’m putting that down to age and years played, but also, in saying that, this does not contribute to the ‘Finn played better at VFL level on the weekend’ argument.

Ward’s ball use and fitness is well above VFL standard. His strength and contested work isn’t.

To be an inside mid at AFL level he needs to be destroying VFL mids on the inside. Instead when he moves up he loses a lot of his endurance advantage as well as being below average at the contest.

Personally I feel he still needs to show more at VFL level to demand a spot at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ward’s ball use and fitness is well above VFL standard. His strength and contested work isn’t.

To be an inside mid at AFL level he needs to be destroying VFL mids on the inside. Instead when he moves up he loses a lot of his endurance advantage as well as being below average at the contest.

Personally I feel he still needs to show more at VFL level to demand a spot at AFL level.
He did that exactly on the weekend, multiple times just burst through congestion and laced out targets in the 50.

If he's going to make it will need to improve his clearance work but the weekend was a huge step in the right direction.

Last edited:

It is. His issue is his stoppage craft which comes through positioning, movement and reading of the hand around stoppages, his strength, burst, speed and inside game is well above VFL level, and his burst and speed are strengths of his game. He is playing inside mid at VFL level learning stoppage and centre bounce craft.

He did that exactly on the weekend, multiple times just burst through congestion and laced out targets in the 50.

If he's going to make it will need to improve his clearance work but the weekend was a huge step in the right direction.
Clearance work is entirely different to inside or contested work. His craft is what he is learning not his “contest or competitive work” or whatever other people are mentioning. You’re spot on.

Sorry guys, don't see it with Ward. I think he'll continue to be found out at AFL level. Apart from having clean skills, doesn't have much else in the kit bag.
Moves like a Mack truck at times and his contested work is very poor.
Used to think this too, but his game on the weekend converted me. He'll make it big in the AFL. It will just click

Used to think this too, but his game on the weekend converted me. He'll make it big in the AFL. It will just click
Anyone who think he moves like a Mack truck is delusional, like it’s the funniest thing I’ve read. The bloke is quick and explosive with class and skill and a work ethic to suit, he’ll make it. Nothing surer.

Last edited:
Anyone who think he moves like a Mack truck is delusional, like it’s the funniest thing I’ve read. The bloke his quick, strong and explosive with class and skill and a work ethic to suit, he’ll make it. Nothing surer.

I recognized his explosive running for the first time this year against the pies. He has more than enough acceleration to make it an AFL mid.

Really looking forward to him coming back into the seniors and adding grunt and class to what we already have.

He’s alright when he gets a bit of space. Hopefully he can keep taking the steps forward he needs to make it.

It is. His issue is his stoppage craft which comes through positioning, movement and reading of the hand around stoppages, his strength, burst, speed and inside game is well above VFL level, and his burst and speed are strengths of his game. He is playing inside mid at VFL level learning stoppage and centre bounce craft.
It’s really not. He’s got at most an above average inside game at VFL level. He’s just able to outwork any mid at the level which is where he wins a lot of his possessions.

His game isn’t currently translating because of how high the step up is at AFL. Players are able to move him off the ball at contests then run away with the ball.

He’s not slow but he’s not super quick either. His strength is his endurance and ball use. He needs to add more strings to his bow to make it though

I recognized his explosive running for the first time this year against the pies. He has more than enough acceleration to make it an AFL mid.

Really looking forward to him coming back into the seniors and adding grunt and class to what we already have.
His issue has been confidence in himself which meant he wasn’t able to showcase his talent. Hopefully he continues to do this and try improve self confidence.

He’s alright when he gets a bit of space. Hopefully he can keep taking the steps forward he needs to make it.
He creates the space, he’s strong enough and his pace, especially burst is really good.

It’s really not. He’s got at most an above average inside game at VFL level. He’s just able to outwork any mid at the level which is where he wins a lot of his possessions.

His game isn’t currently translating because of how high the step up is at AFL. Players are able to move him off the ball at contests then run away with the ball.

He’s not slow but he’s not super quick either. His strength is his endurance and ball use. He needs to add more strings to his bow to make it though
I’ve watched VFL for a while now and every game Ward has played, started in one of his first where he went and dominated in the wet against a GWS outfit at Sydney Showgrounds.

His inside game which I would say is a mix of, tackling and defensive pressure, ability around congestion, cleanliness and movement through traffic, accumulation and positioning to get contested football, the intent and lastly craft of stoppages/centre bounces.

An inside game, or contested side is not directly correlated with clearance or craft which is what he is down at the VFL level working on, because most of football is contest and post clearance.

Every part of this I’d say he is pretty strong at, cleanliness, movement and burst through traffic, accumulating and positioning to get contested ground balls post clearance etc are strengths. Some he’s working on through just intent, backing himself in, tackling pressure etc (clearly a superb two way runner).

His main problem as I stated as apart of an “inside game” isn’t a physical or ability issue. It’s simply backing himself in, but the main component he’s working on is his stoppage and centre bounce craft, which is reading the tap, the ball, his man, cues, positioning, body work etc.

His inside game is average at AFL level because it’s inconsistent, has shown his capacity to be good and also poor in this area which is why he moved down. He is still clearly an AFL standard player who is far too good for VFL football and this comes with his inside game, which is vastly superior to VFL players. Not entirely a big surprise.

Again there’s a difference between what people have been bagging him for or saying he’s poor at with his overall inside and contested game, even suggesting pace is an issue…

Has been made clear and even more so watching him not just from coaches mouths his work in progress is his ‘CRAFT’ as an inside midfielder which is ‘STOPPAGE OR CENTRE BOUNCE CRAFT’ which is not directly associated with his ability in a contest, which happens a lot in footy and hawthorn are first at in the league, post clearance. This would be the same for Connor MacDonald, hence him rarely if ever getting inside time.

“not super quick but not slow”

He is a pretty quick player with a strong burst. He has good vision, cleanliness, hand and foot skills mixed with a strong work ethic, endurance base and leadership. He has a bucket load of talent and he’s down there working on something which will click eventually, has progressed well over his short stint at VFL level.

There’s plenty supporters wouldn’t see or know about players but if you look at his game like anyone, you will always see clear strengths, weaknesses which in better terminology are things to improve.

He has clear strengths as listed above and will continue to develop his other areas, which is his overall craft, stoppage and centre bounce craft mentioned by coaches, consistency of high production, application, self belief/confidence to back in the skill sets of players, playing to strengths and developing physically to get the perfect body for his personal performance.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back