Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mentioning once again, Josh Ward was drafted at pretty much the exact spot every single phantom and draft prediction article had him going at.

And most importantly, before we called out his name, the only young midfielders on our list were 7 game rookie Jai Newcombe and VFL player Finn Maginness.

It would have been negligent not to take the best available midfielder.
Where he was drafted in his draft year has absolutely zero to do with where he is today. Case in point DGB. Cmac was take at 28 in the same draft year but is a significantly higher rated player internally than Ward is

I’ve been impressed by his last two games but he still has a fair way to go before he jumps ahead of our starting mids not including McKenzie who is still a fair way ahead of Ward despite being taken a year later in draft year

Still has a fair way to go before we can start crowing how good he is

Where he was drafted in his draft year has absolutely zero to do with where he is today. Case in point DGB. Cmac was take at 28 in the same draft year but is a significantly higher rated player internally than Ward is

I’ve been impressed by his last two games but he still has a fair way to go before he jumps ahead of our starting mids not including McKenzie who is still a fair way ahead of Ward despite being taken a year later in draft year

Still has a fair way to go before we can start crowing how good he is

All of that is correct. I don't disagree at all.

But I was mostly replying to people who said we 'should have drafted player X' instead.

Ward was always going at our pick. He'd be at Richmond if they had the pick before us.

Cmac was take at 28 in the same draft year but is a significantly higher rated player internally than Ward is
Is he? How would you know how they are rated internally? It was a lot easier for Croc to get a good run at it as there wasn't the same kind of competition for his spot. Ward has had to play well out of position just to get any game time. It is impossible to make this call.

Is he? How would you know how they are rated internally? It was a lot easier for Croc to get a good run at it as there wasn't the same kind of competition for his spot. Ward has had to play well out of position just to get any game time. It is impossible to make this call.
Impossible really? Cmac has been dropped once since his debut. Went back to Box Hill, amassed 35 possessions was a clear BOG and has stayed in the ones ever since. He has had a cracking year this year and really come on with his forward craft. Ward has been in and out of the side in the past two years, playing several games this year in the twos. Its been publicly stated by coaching staff that he has aspects of his game that he needs to keep working on

Also worth noting that Cmac was drafted as a mid who had question marks over his disposal. Since being drafted, wasnt good enough to get a spot in the midfield but was able to re-engineer his game style to become a highly effective high half forward who reliably kicks goals each week. Ward was drafted as a mid. Wasn't good enough to to get a spot in the midfield so was tried predominantly on the wing, half back. Didnt quite work so is waiting to get a spot in midfield. Got that chance when Day and them Mckzenzie went out injured. Played well in finals but is still behind Day and McKenzie. Ward will need a big preseason to jump ahead of Mckenzie in the que for midfield minutes

Yes I don't know how each player is rated internally, but pretty confident that Cmac and Mckenzie are rated higher - for now

Josh Ward is not going anywhere. These boys are going to push each other throughout the off season to get that coveted spot in the middle. We are a squad and there will be plenty of opportunities for everyone to push their case including the guys who are starting from way behind like HH.

Impossible really? Cmac has been dropped once since his debut. Went back to Box Hill, amassed 35 possessions was a clear BOG and has stayed in the ones ever since. He has had a cracking year this year and really come on with his forward craft. Ward has been in and out of the side in the past two years, playing several games this year in the twos. Its been publicly stated by coaching staff that he has aspects of his game that he needs to keep working on

Also worth noting that Cmac was drafted as a mid who had question marks over his disposal. Since being drafted, wasnt good enough to get a spot in the midfield but was able to re-engineer his game style to become a highly effective high half forward who reliably kicks goals each week. Ward was drafted as a mid. Wasn't good enough to to get a spot in the midfield so was tried predominantly on the wing, half back. Didnt quite work so is waiting to get a spot in midfield. Got that chance when Day and them Mckzenzie went out injured. Played well in finals but is still behind Day and McKenzie. Ward will need a big preseason to jump ahead of Mckenzie in the que for midfield minutes

Yes I don't know how each player is rated internally, but pretty confident that Cmac and Mckenzie are rated higher - for now
You are basing this simply on the fact that Ward had to work on some things in the VFL. So did Mackenzie. Macdonald also had things to work on, but had the luxury of doing it in the ones due to there being less competition for his spot.

None of this is any proof of how they are rated internally. They are all developing youngsters who all play quite differently.

This is how you rate them, which is fine, just don't argue how the club does.

Would love to know froM the draft watchers whether Ward showed the same signs as being a worry with the ball in hand as he has at the top level?

Seems to have issues with his vision and also gets cornered where he can only dispose in limited directions pending where the pressure is coming at him from.

At present they are significant flaws but I suspect it will click at a point and we have the player that was rated in the top 10.

Ward has shown flashes of the talent he could become and has only recently turned 21. IMO he hasn’t learnt how to fit into this team as a mid just yet and needs the game time to get this right. When he does he will become a weapon for us. Problem for him/us is that he may not get that gametime other than through injuries, so it may be a slower burn with him as his game experience may come more thru box hill. Absolute keeper for mine.

Would love to know froM the draft watchers whether Ward showed the same signs as being a worry with the ball in hand as he has at the top level?

Seems to have issues with his vision and also gets cornered where he can only dispose in limited directions pending where the pressure is coming at him from.

At present they are significant flaws but I suspect it will click at a point and we have the player that was rated in the top 10.
One thing to look frwd to in coming years is his ability to give and get running away with the ball at good pace and above average ball use. Can hoist it high a bit too much when in congestion but his best trait has always been the give and get . Not suited for the link man role as much hence why he's struggled on the outside this season. McKenzie has adjusted Lot better to that position. Ward can cover heap ground /km's so, from what I've seen he's not anywhere near that level ATM. İt will come, too good for it not to.

Nothing that I noticed at an underage level, was probably the second best midfield project behind Nick Daicos and even then they were pretty close, as shown by their performance over their last u18 year. With JHF the other although less pure midfielder and more of a hybrid mid-fwd.

His issue I’ve noticed is his intensity and pace of the game, which is at AFL level and sometimes VFL in poor patches, aswell as confidence in himself.

His vision is good and his composure is too, they're his strengths. They’re just shown worse off because of the weak points.

Worpel had a similar issue. Although without the top level talent Ward has in regards to skill.

Very confident these will go away and his strengths will shine, you could see as such in the Dogs EF game, where he was one touch, clean at pace with creativity in his handskills and toughness around the ball. Coupled this with his foot skills being damaging and crafty, with burst and speed in the contest and around the ground.

Curious about the vision comment- I thought one of the best aspects of his game during the final series was that his kicking into 50 was elite/was able to pick out players that others probably wouldn't have seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing that I noticed at an underage level, was probably the second best midfield project behind Nick Daicos and even then they were pretty close, as shown by their performance over their last u18 year. With JHF the other although less pure midfielder and more of a hybrid mid-fwd.

His issue I’ve noticed is his intensity and pace of the game, which is at AFL level and sometimes VFL in poor patches, aswell as confidence in himself.

His vision is good and his composure is too, they're his strengths. They’re just shown worse off because of the weak points.

Worpel had a similar issue. Although without the top level talent Ward has in regards to skill.

Very confident these will go away and his strengths will shine, you could see as such in the Dogs EF game, where he was one touch, clean at pace with creativity in his handskills and toughness around the ball. Coupled this with his foot skills being damaging and crafty, with burst and speed in the contest and around the ground.

Knew little to nothing about him pre arrival at Hawthorn. The changes in his AFL level performances this year have been dramatic.

The strengths that weren't clear previously (as you've mentioned above) have made him look like a new player to my eyes.

Super impressed with his potential now. Previously I just saw him as a solid young player with sure distribution skills. Suddenly has breakaway speed and laser like kicking. The pass to Newcombe on the 50 against the dogs was Amon or D'Ambrossio esque.

Looking forward to seeing he and MacKenzie shine as they lift our midfield with speed away from the contest, hard two way run, and super precise foot skills.

Agree, has shown he can be a top liner - good decision making, decent skills, attacking the contest etc...but have noted in 2 key games for us over the last cpl of months (GWS & Port) where intensity has lifted the panic element has stifled these abilities somewhat... hopefully just a case of needing more exposure and working through it...ie between the ears stuff.

Curious about the vision comment- I thought one of the best aspects of his game during the final series was that his kicking into 50 was elite/was able to pick out players that others probably wouldn't have seen.
That KICK to Jai Newcombe in the first final between 3-4 players was one of the best darts i have ever seen. Confidence and turning "over thinking" into instinct takes time for some players. I think he will get it all together and be a great player for us.

Agree, has shown he can be a top liner - good decision making, decent skills, attacking the contest etc...but have noted in 2 key games for us over the last cpl of months (GWS & Port) where intensity has lifted the panic element has stifled these abilities somewhat... hopefully just a case of needing more exposure and working through it...ie between the ears stuff.
Very much inbetween the ears. Confidence within himself and his game. But the adaption to the game, and the speed of the game.

Dogs game was also a high finals intensity and he was brilliant, it’s about consistency for him and to continue to build. He has a big pre season and could genuinely break out as a starter and top liner.

It’s definitely a strength of his game, it’s the other things that stifle that and his creativity. Like a roadblock.

Some of his kicks in the Dogs game were brilliant.

His kick to Newcombe a low dart through a bunch of opposition players, not going above eye line and 35 or so metres after faking the long one was incredible.

As well as the chip kick to Dylan Moore across his body.

A lot of the things he can do others can’t with his vision and smarts, it’s about the other things to open this up more.

Knew little to nothing about him pre arrival at Hawthorn. The changes in his AFL level performances this year have been dramatic.

The strengths that weren't clear previously (as you've mentioned above) have made him look like a new player to my eyes.

Super impressed with his potential now. Previously I just saw him as a solid young player with sure distribution skills. Suddenly has breakaway speed and laser like kicking. The pass to Newcombe on the 50 against the dogs was Amon or D'Ambrossio esque.

Looking forward to seeing he and MacKenzie shine as they lift our midfield with speed away from the contest, hard two way run, and super precise foot skills.
I think it’s nothing about his talent, even his workrate, or hard work he puts in. It’s all between the ears for Ward, obviously some minor things he needed to work on as any 20 year old would, but it’s about adjustments and it clicking, once it does watch out, goes for a bunch of players across the league.

Definitely aswell, that kick was brilliant, not many are able to even see it let alone pull it off, and he has worked his ass off during the pre season to get his burst speed even more than it was, it’s a continuous improvement on this but then just knowing he’s put the work in and performing. He is rated extremely highly internally.

Mackenzie is a little different as he needs to work on his tank too, but both have their working points for the pre season and I’d be shocked if they both weren’t in the best 22 next year and even beyond that, performing at a near A Grade level soon.

That KICK to Jai Newcombe in the first final between 3-4 players was one of the best darts i have ever seen. Confidence and turning "over thinking" into instinct takes time for some players. I think he will get it all together and be a great player for us.
This is exactly it, absolutely spot on. Can say I deal with it myself so I can feel where Ward comes from, but this is the exact thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back