Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

All good. Great win. Made mistake of mentioning an error or too.
Shoulda kept my mouth shut. I never seem to learn.
Not sure why you're playing the attacked victim here. You told everyone else to be real about Ward and then instead of providing evidence of horrendous moments when challenged you started being a campaigner about spelling mistakes.

1000006752.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't think of too many horrendous moments? Morrison kicked it straight to Treloar, Frost kicked it straight to Naughton, both ended in goals and I still consider them to have had great games. Did Ward have any that directly contributed to goals?
I had a few beers so memory of details not great but did he have possession just outside our F50 and there was a free player about 40 out and he tried to hit him up but kicked it straight to a Dog's defender.

I should add that I'm not posting this as a critique of his game it was just something I remember.

*Just had a look 7:23 out in the 3rd, Weddle picks out Ward and Ward tries to kick right footed to Watson who is free and shanks it straight to a Dog's defender just inside 50.

Once again I'm not here to criticise him, I thought he had a fine game, just answering the question.

So no didn't lead to a goal, rather missed setting up a set shot 45 out straight in front.

It was a terrible kick from Ward but boy oh boy woweee the kick from Weddle to him was a beauty.

I had a few beers so memory of details not great but did he have possession just outside our F50 and there was a free player about 40 out and he tried to hit him up but kicked it straight to a Dog's defender.

I should add that I'm not posting this as a critique of his game it was just something I remember.

*Just had a look 7:23 out in the 3rd, Weddle picks out Ward and Ward tries to kick right footed to Watson who is free and shanks it straight to a Dog's defender just inside 50.

Once again I'm not here to criticise him, I thought he had a fine game, just answering the question.

So no didn't lead to a goal, rather missed setting up a set shot 45 out straight in front.

It was a terrible kick from Ward but boy oh boy woweee the kick from Weddle to him was a beauty.
Yeah he kicked an instep on his non preferred trying to hit up the free player quickly. Shows confidence to back his right foot which is good.

Hit a kick earlier in the game where he darted a low dart 35m to Newcombe on the 50, aswell as a chip kick to Moore around his body, and the clearance burst out of the centre to Chols score.

Good with the bad.

Yeah he kicked an instep on his non preferred trying to hit up the free player quickly. Shows confidence to back his right foot which is good.

Hit a kick earlier in the game where he darted a low dart 35m to Newcombe on the 50, aswell as a chip kick to Moore around his body, and the clearance burst out of the centre to Chols score.

Good with the bad.
Exactly, and yeah that kick to Jai was lovely.

He kicked on his right and went wonky, it happens.

Had low time on ground in the first and third quarters. Rather than playing with four main rotations we seemed to go with the main 3 with Ward rotating in when one needed a break.

Also enabled him to go flat out when he was out there.
This is exactly what I was hoping for. (Regarding Ward going flat out). Love this guy's perseverance.

Had a good game. But also had some horrendous moments - let’s keep it real
What's more real is his overall performance. To play his first final and produce a great game with 9 tackles in 64% game time... Well what can I say.

Do you have any more insightful comments?

I have no doubt this young man will become a very good player for the Hawks. With game time at senior level, his confidence and skill execution will improve. Only need to look at Worpel's improvement this year.
He made a few skill errors yesterday but I thought he played very well.

I have no doubt this young man will become a very good player for the Hawks. With game time at senior level, his confidence and skill execution will improve. Only need to look at Worpel's improvement this year.
He made a few skill errors yesterday but I thought he played very well.
100%. He would have been nervous, first final, not sure of his place in the side, one of the last guys picked for the game etc.
I thought he was fantastic, did so much for the team.
Loved what I saw from Wardy. Go on with it young fella!

For anyone who previously complained about Wardy not being tough enough - he just played over a half of a footy final with a broken nose and still ended up with the most tackles on the ground.

Disposal was clean and he hunted the ball and the man when it was his turn.

Absolute warrior.
Put Harmes on his arse with a solid hit too (although Ward had the favourable angle).

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back