Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks electric in full flight. Hair starts flying back and he just takes off.

One more pre season and his running power will go past all but a few. His in tight work was sorely needed on the weekend.
Watching his clearance in the third where he burst out the front was a thing of beauty in person. The recording didn't do it justice!

View attachment 2100530The last hope...
Your time has come, young Josh.
Do us proud.
He did us proud. Sensational performance in just 64% time on the ground. From where I was sitting on the 4th level at the Punt Road end, he and Newcombe turned the game in the second quarter. His pressure rating must have been near the best on the ground. His hunger for the ball to gain possession was as elite as I've seen. He cannot be dropped after that. And Cameron Mackenzie is my favourite player.

15.40 to go in the 2nd quarter. Bulldogs up. They win a ball on the far wing and look to get some overlap run. Bailey Williams gives a handball and looks to take off and receive. Ward stops in his tracks, gut runs to cover Williams which cuts off the outlet. They're forced into a risky kick... turnover. Ball gets pumped forward and Dear ends up kicking his soccer goal. We rarely lose momentum from there. Massive 1% which shows his growth. Cannot be dropped from here.

15.40 to go in the 2nd quarter. Bulldogs up. They win a ball on the far wing and look to get some overlap run. Bailey Williams gives a handball and looks to take off and receive. Ward stops in his tracks, gut runs to cover Williams which cuts off the outlet. They're forced into a risky kick... turnover. Ball gets pumped forward and Dear ends up kicking his soccer goal. We rarely lose momentum from there. Massive 1% which shows his growth. Cannot be dropped from here.

I noticed this too on the Kayo Mini. Amazing stuff.

Just went and watched that play.

That was determined defensive running from Josh.

I'll admit, I've had serious doubts around what value-add he brings to the team. Great for him and the club he was able to play with that intensity and really contribute, still needs a little polish on disposal but hopefully he can build on this game and take a lot of confidence out of it. Well done.

Speaking from experience, a broken nose often means a lot of blood initially but is very unlikely to keep him out next week. Never good for the looks either.
I had my nose broken boxing on a Friday arvo, had it reset that night and could barely feel it from that point, and I'm soft AF.

No way Ward will miss a week on.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Both Ward and Mackenzie would comfortably get 25-30 disposals a week if they played regularly in the middle. Both quality young players, bleed brown and gold and will keep getting better and better with maturing bodies and greater midfield minutes. Without Daysy and more midfield opportunity Mackenzie was great in round 24 and Ward thrived on Friday night!

Both Ward and Mackenzie would comfortably get 25-30 disposals a week if they played regularly in the middle. Both quality young players, bleed brown and gold and will keep getting better and better with maturing bodies and greater midfield minutes. Without Daysy and more midfield opportunity Mackenzie was great in round 24 and Ward thrived on Friday night!
Mackenzie and Ward are going to be 200 game players for us - its great to watch the development of all of these kids.

I’m getting major James Kelly/Brad Sewell vibes from Josh.

Slow starter but in time, became the unassuming, “unsexy” cast member in an all-star midfield.

Absolutely loved his game.

I’m getting major James Kelly/Brad Sewell vibes from Josh.

Slow starter but in time, became the unassuming, “unsexy” cast member in an all-star midfield.

Absolutely loved his game.
Don’t think he’ll be the unsexy member. He’s got the “sexiness”.

He needs to continue to demand the ball, and play at a 100% rate. If so he’ll use his elite endurance to find a lot of the ball, and with his cleanliness, toughness and hand skills he’ll be a very good inside mid. But to top that off he will end up a hybrid type due to his foot skills and speed, you see it in patches with the breakaway clearance he had against the Dogs, the bullet of a pass to Newcombe etc, has got very good leadership qualities too ontop of just being a very smart footballer, with great vision.

He’s going to be ultra good, this midfield will build into a dogs level one with 4 or so almost elite mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 2:50 mins to go in the second quarter he drilled a 40m kick to Newcombe. The kick went through/past five Doggies players and Newcombe didn't have to move. That's the kind of vision and kicking skills that I believe he will produce much more often.

That was one of the best kicks I've seen this year.

Like a bloody laser beam to hit him. If it had resulted in a goal we'd all be watching on repeat.

He's gone from a sketchy looking, mid paced half back type to a super highly skilled and quick runner, with added penetration by foot.

Was always safe with the ball in hand. Now he looks safe and dangerous at the same time.

Love his transformation. Based on Friday night it's all but complete. Slotted in beautifully, and did a handful of A-grade type things.

He and MacKenzie are going to elevate this side even further, it's almost a lock imo.

Last edited:
yes, its easy now to see why the interest in Bailey Smith has waned over the past few months. Ward and Mackenzie have really developed beautifully over the latter half of this season, and both look to be future stars. Plus, I am still very bullish on HH, and you'd think that Macdonald, Weddle and Watson might get a go in there in the future.
Bailey Smith is a great player, but I doubt he'd get a look in at centre bounce for the Hawks, who are assembling perhaps the best young midfield in the AFL.

Does he become a versatile player or simply demand the midfiled spot with a recognised display like Friday night?

Ward hasn’t really had a chance to play consistently in the guts due to our core four mids being established. He's been OK on the wing but you can tell it isn't his natural position and he overthinks significantly.

I wouldn’t mind Will Day playing the Silk/Hodge role of 70% half-forward/back with stints in the midfield. Day would excel, and it would give Ward a chance to grow into his best position.

Ward's hands in close are excellent; they are quick and clean. Plus his kicking is very good, and IMO, it will prove to be a weapon for us when he's out in the open and on the move.

His strengths fit seamlessly into our fast paced gameplan.

I believe it has been a matter of confidence for Ward, as he showed in his first and second season that he can perform to a high standard (for a youngster) - it is just up to Mitchell to work out how to fit him and Mackenzie into the midfield rotation.

Last edited:
Ward's hands in close are excellent; they are quick and clean. Plus his kicking is very good, and IMO, it will prove to be a weapon for us when he's out in the open and on the move.

His strengths fit seamlessly into out fast paced gameplan.

I believe it has been a matter of confidence for Ward, as he showed in his first and second season that he can perform to a high standard (for a youngster) - it is just up to Mitchell to work out how to fit him and Mackenzie into the midfield rotation.
Scary thought J2S! Newcombe, Day, Worpol, Nash, Ward, MacKenzie ALL rotating thru the middle. Sam's plan of lowering minutes for each mid so they can have maximum impact consistently. Really Scary!!!

As I said would take a 2nd rounder for him cause he’s not in our best 22 when Day and McKenzie are fit.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
And this is why we are all so exited you have nothing to do with our team list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back