Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

At least at TAC cup level Nick was getting more ball while hitting the scoreboard. Averaged some crazy numbers, 35 disposals and 2 goals a game.

He was unbelievable.
Their metro stuff was awfully similar and Ward was probably better which is partially where my thoughts come from. In season Daicos was the dominant player statistics wise, although he was very much good whilst inflating statistics, Ward wasn’t far behind during the year in terms of impact for their NAB sides. Although as I said completely irrelevant to now.

If this is purely a ‘between the ears’ thing I think the club should look at getting someone in to help. I have a completely unfounded theory that players who are more intelligent than average can far more easily get in their heads and overthink things and get in their own way as a result. Prime example - Will Langford. He clearly had talent and his late 2014 form proved it. How he then faded out I swear was all mental - including that horrible stint late in his career where he missed a painful amount of easy shots for goal. Compare this to say Buddy who isn’t going to ace a test but his instinctual play was scarily good.

Ward is exceptionally smart based on his academic achievements - let’s hope he doesn’t go the same way as Will and can get out of his head on game day.
I think that would be a great idea, personally I love Ward, his onfield and off-field stuff both reasons for why I like him as a person and player, but I see similarities in myself and him, to an extent, you always look at trying to relate to a player. For myself, I play aswell and deal with similar things, overthinking the game, not playing on instinct, not trusting myself, confidence within self, and being ultra meticulous about planning. Talking to someone about it is a great start, and then it’s working through how to shake the shackles and then let it ride after that.

But in his example, as you say, he’s ultra smart, 98 ATAR or something ridiculous, studying multiple degrees. It’s about working through it with someone, finding the keys to unlocking himself and hopefully 2025 is that year it happens.

If this is purely a ‘between the ears’ thing I think the club should look at getting someone in to help. I have a completely unfounded theory that players who are more intelligent than average can far more easily get in their heads and overthink things and get in their own way as a result. Prime example - Will Langford. He clearly had talent and his late 2014 form proved it. How he then faded out I swear was all mental - including that horrible stint late in his career where he missed a painful amount of easy shots for goal. Compare this to say Buddy who isn’t going to ace a test but his instinctual play was scarily good.

Ward is exceptionally smart based on his academic achievements - let’s hope he doesn’t go the same way as Will and can get out of his head on game day.
I know that Dylan Moore in an interview said that he was doing mindfulness meditation as he tends to overthink a fair bit. It'd be good if Josh did too.

I know that Dylan Moore in an interview said that he was doing mindfulness meditation as he tends to overthink a fair bit. It'd be good if Josh did too.
Season 3 Crying GIF by The Simpsons

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back