Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Lachie Bramble - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Odd by the Dogs.
For some reason the selection of Jeka by Geelong last week and Bramble by the Dogs this week hints to more of IP acquisition than anything else.

that might sound dumb, but I reckon there is some truth to it

For some reason the selection of Jeka by Geelong last week and Bramble by the Dogs this week hints to more of IP acquisition than anything else.

that might sound dumb, but I reckon there is some truth to it

Why would they want our IP?

The Doggies could have simply invited Bramble down to train and the coaches could have asked him questions if they wanted IP.

I struggle to name one that Id rate higher.
Cooper Stevens sure rolls off the tongue.
A few others might have some clutching their pearls, but ...

O'Sullivan, Macdonald, Tucker and even Bennets (who is going to have his job cut out to get a look in with Ginnivan and Watson recruited).

Bramble played 30 for the Hawks and is likely to play more for the dogs (given their list needs).
We've been pretty brutal with our list cull this year, and rightly so - so no tears for Bramble. But Duryea has been OK for them, and I expect Bramble will be an even better fit.

Cooper Stevens sure rolls off the tongue.
A few others might have some clutching their pearls, but ...

O'Sullivan, Macdonald, Tucker and even Bennets (who is going to have his job cut out to get a look in with Ginnivan and Watson recruited).

Bramble played 30 for the Hawks and is likely to play more for the dogs (given their list needs).
We've been pretty brutal with our list cull this year, and rightly so - so no tears for Bramble. But Duryea has been OK for them, and I expect Bramble will be an even better fit.
The players you have referenced are mostly in their first couple of years in the afl system and still getting established, whereas Brambles is a much more known quantity.

I like Brambles, but in terms of where we are in our journey, I think it makes more sense to continue to invest in players with greater scope for development.

Tim O'Brien, Taylor Duryea Matthew Suckling and Lachie Bramble.

Who else can we throw in the wheelie bin for the dogs to dumpster dive on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Suckling and Taylor Duryea are both Hawthorn dual premiership players who left of their own accord as a free agent and trade respectively. Suckling was a walk up best 22 player 2012-2015 who only missed the 2013 flag due to an ACL. Duryea was a best 22 player for the 2014 and 2015 seasons, and is on the cusp of being a 200 game player. People calling them ‘rejects’ or ‘sloppy seconds’ are being pretty disrespectful to two blokes who played very good roles in a ridiculously great side.

Last edited:
Matt Suckling and Taylor Duryea are both Hawthorn dual premiership players who left of their own accord as a free agent and trade respectively. Suckling was a walk up best 22 player 2012-2015 who only missed the 2013 flag due to an ACL. Duryea was a best 22 player for the 2014 and 2015 seasons, and is on the cusp of being a 200 game player. People calling them ‘rejects’ or ‘sloppy seconds’ are being pretty disrespectful to two blokes who played very good roles in a ridiculously great side.
Well said.
Both very solid role players.

Odd by the Dogs.

Why?

Their wings are Oacar Baker and Cam Poulter.

Hayden Crozier is gone.
Duryea is 33 soon.
Jason Johannisen is getting on.
Vandameer is always injured.

If one of Dale or Richards go down they are seriously lacking in rebound options.
Bevo still thinks they are a genuine premiership fancy so they've picked up mature aged insurance who is still good enough to be worth a spot on an AFL list.

Good for Lachie.

Why?

Hayden Crozier is gone.
Duryea is 33 soon.

If one of Dale or Richards go down they are seriously lacking in rebound options.
Bevo still thinks they are a genuine premiership fancy so they've picked up mature aged insurance who is still good enough to be worth a spot on an AFL list.

Good for Lachie.

Smith, Macrae and Treloar also spend time on the wings.

Why?

Hayden Crozier is gone.
Duryea is 33 soon.

Good for Lachie.
He’s not really gonna move the needle for them much at all.

He’s not really gonna move the needle for them much at all.
If the player that fills your last list spot moves the needle at all then it’s a win. He adds a mature body and competition for a spot in the best 22 at the very least, I think it is an astute pick up by them.

The players you have referenced are mostly in their first couple of years in the afl system and still getting established, whereas Brambles is a much more known quantity.

I like Brambles, but in terms of where we are in our journey, I think it makes more sense to continue to invest in players with greater scope for development.

I have to agree. The players I mentioned have been kept because they have that youthful potential (albeit, they'll need to progress promptly to keep their spot) - and with the exception of Macdonald, they fulfil different roles. We have a half-backs in abundance, so it's good list management to make the call on Bramble.

But I think he'll be more than handy for the dogs who have that list need.

And FWIW, (as much as I like the Tassie boy Sanders) I think the dogs list would look a lot better with a wizard in their stale, ground-level forward line.

Well said.
Both very solid role players.
During that time Suckling was the best kick in the comp and i'm of the opinion that he is the most skilled kick of all time. He could pull off kicks that nobody else could his consistency was an issue as if he didn't nail the kick it was a dribbler. Other players could kick wonky floating helicopters that at least went in the right direction on the miss-kicks, his would just dribble the wrong way. But when he was on it was 60meter lasers. Not only did he hit long difficult targets he got the ball there quick so defenders had no chance to catch up while it was hanging in the air.

I think Duryea in particular has done really well as he doesn’t have the weapons that Suckers had and I must admit didn’t think he would last as long as he has after leaving the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back