Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

What defensive troubles? He's been doing some absolutely massive chases down the field. Why are you expecting him to pressure like a small forward? Would you apply the same to Lewis?

His chase downs are excellent, but he gets wrong footed, and that's it. Watch for it and let me know.

I'm not trying to get into Chol, he's giving us great service, I see it as a positive that he can get stronger in one area.

You could tell on the weekend he was really putting in with his defensive stuff. Maximum effort.

I am intrigued what he can become when Lewis is back and we potentially have Dear in the side and Mabs can roam around as 3rd tall. If we can train him up as a highly skilled running tall getting up and down the ground with his exquisite kicking he will be a huge asset.

I was listening to Jordan Lewis commentating and there was a moment when he realised just how good a kick Chol is. I reckon a preconceived picture of what Chol was like shattered in his head and at 3/4 time he mentioned Chol had played a very good quarter. I think people are starting to see his patches of quality with continued exposure at the top level.

Granted he does have some flaws as others have pointed to above but if he can play within these and improve his strengths further hes going to have to be watched by oppo.

He’s def growing as a player.

I just went back spent half an hour running a double speed review of our F50 entries and I have to say, Chol was actually bloody awesome. His chasing, kicking and presenting on the lead were all you could ever ask of a forward. His field kicking it top shelf.

My perception remains that he gets moved off the ball a bit easily from the previous games, but that's an aside and may be a in error. I suspect the moments he stopped against North were because he was absolutely knackered from previous efforts.

I quite like Lloyd as a football analyst and heard him on FC the other night.
He wasn't impressed with Chol so far and that we could regret the contract we offered him.

I think he has been an improvement over Kosi and a good pick up for now.
But in time, I expect our younger talls to go past him.

He wasn't impressed with Chol so far and that we could regret the contract we offered him.

I'm comfortable with his contract given rising TPP and the trade price.
At worst Chol will be a serviceable placeholder, but I think we will get better value out of him.

I think you are very wrong.

Agree 100%. Ramsden to go past Chol in 12 -24 months for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chol has kicked 40 goals in a season.
What is Ramsden's highest goal tally for a season at Box Hill.
Not sure, I’d suggest around 10, which is Chol’s second best tally since he made his debut in 2016. He has had a very ordinary career so far. He is more than six years older than Ramsden, who is tracking better than Chol was at the same age. I would be disappointed if Max didn’t overtake him in the next season or two. Chol is reasonable back up but isn’t going to get a game in any top 4 team, which hopefully will be us in a few seasons.

Chol has been the #1 KPF for tackles inside 50 and equal second for pressure acts.

He's a ruck/forward being played out of position due to necessity as a lone KPF which is not his strong suit.

Don't get the hate for Chol.
People expected him to come to the Hawks and suddenly be a different player perhaps? I've actually been impressed with him defensively. Everyone spoke about his workrate and how he can be lazy but he has been the opposite. Chases hard, tackles hard and has really improved his own game as he became our only target forward. Early he was struggling to half a contest but in his last couple of games he was playing off to the side of a pack so he could jump across and prevent an intercept mark.

You'd like to see him start clunking a few more marks but with Ginni, Wiz, Moore and Croc at his feet it's a win for us to get a possible crumbling goal.

Hopefully he can get his arm right and Lewis can get past his knee issue and we can structure up how we planned in preseason, with Dear as the third tall option.

Chol has been the #1 KPF for tackles inside 50 and equal second for pressure acts.

He's a ruck/forward being played out of position due to necessity as a lone KPF which is not his strong suit.
I’ll be honest, I’d rather he was no.1 for marks inside 50 and second most for goals out of KPF. In fact, I’ll go as far to say that the other KPFs don’t lay as many tackles because they mark the ball before the oppo gets their hands on it.

Hate Lloyd, but he’s right. We signed a stop gap player to a 4 year contract. He’s an improvement on Kosi, but I don’t think that’s a good enough reason for a 4 year contract.

As always when I’m negative about a hawks player, I’m hoping I’m wrong.

I’ll be honest, I’d rather he was no.1 for marks inside 50 and second most for goals out of KPF. In fact, I’ll go as far to say that the other KPFs don’t lay as many tackles because they mark the ball before the oppo gets their hands on it.

If you can figure out a way to get a Charlie Curnow for a pick in the 30s I'm all ears.

In fact you may as well send your CV to Sleepy Mark and you can share the corner office with Roughy.

Chol has 0.2 less I50 marks than Larkey and Naughton.

He's on par with Max King and Riccardi.

He's really not been all that bad given he's playing as a sole key forward.

Chol was never going to be Wayne Carey for us, but it's a critical position where we lack senior bodies, we'd have been stuffed without him this year.
Yep, I've been pleasantly surprised by Chol overall. Looking forward to seeing him back in the team.

Hate Lloyd, but he’s right. We signed a stop gap player to a 4 year contract. He’s an improvement on Kosi, but I don’t think that’s a good enough reason for a 4 year contract.

As always when I’m negative about a hawks player, I’m hoping I’m wrong.
Four year contract or not the money he is on is about bang on AFL average. Not sure why people are placing marquee expectations on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back