Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

All we need from Chol is to play the Roughhead role:

1. Contest everything, especially the high ball
2. Get the ball to the small men

If he takes a mark and kicks a goal or two, that's a bonus.

I think the comments by media that he’s lazy are actually lazy.

He’s competing very well for our smalls.

It’s the Chad Wingard situation all over again, he had a reputation before he came to the club. Whether it was right or wrong at the time is irrelevant, since coming to the club he was nothing but a professional and well liked. Yet everyone kept making the same assumptions about him.

Same with Chol. Really disappointing because he deserves a lot of credit for his effort in a struggling team.

had a stinker against the suns, just lost all confidence in himself all night, but none of that had to do with effort, his effort has been excellent and he's been very good in most other games.

I think the lazy calls are to do solely with his efforts in marking contests. Clearly he has been putting in good efforts with chasing and tackling.

First five rounds, to me looked like he's a chance for mark of the year where he recognised he had the sit, then in other contests less favourable to him, would barely put an arm up.

Yesterday, I reckon he competed for every high ball that came his way. Fitness, confidence, whatever. He gets better :thumbsu:

Anyone notice Chol getting after the north players near the end of Q2 when they bumped Moore after he marked?

He halved a ton of contests as the #1 tall forward and set up a number of scores with great field kicking. Great addition to the team!

He was absolutely moving yesterday, just churning up the track. Love how quick he is for someone his size.

I thought he would really tire having to play sole KPF, presenting right up the ground, and then relieving Meek in the ruck. But Chol worked so hard all game.

Think Chol has changed the team structure in a pretty big way because he competes hard and also runs hard both ways as a very mobile tall. And also rucks. I assume he well get better at it as he plays more games and has more understanding and confidence of his role. He seemed a bit lost in the GCS game but so did the entire team.

I feel like the laziness stuff comes from him looking so relaxed, languid and unbothered when he's putting in effort.

Mesut Özil used to cop the same treatment, despite him regularly being at the top of the KM covered charts each game. Just effortless movement.

Darren jarman. Had insane tackle count stats for the era, but because he made it all look so easy……

It’s funny. Yesterday, I thought he did some great things but didn’t rip apart a defense that he might have been able to really get a hold of. Because of that, I was a little disappointed. After reading all the really positive comments, it made me think again.

I reckon I didn’t give him enough credit for making and halving a lot of contests in the forward 50. That being said, I don’t ever look at him in a one-on-one duel and feel comfortable that he’ll win out. I think he needs to work on his body positioning/strength in those contests. He’ll then be nearly unstoppable.

I used to think that he would be the stay at home forward and Lewis would be the high CHF. Having now seen his foot skills and body work, I’m beginning to think the opposite. However, if he’s playing part time in the ruck he will need a bit of “rest” as a deep forward.

Will be really interesting watching the two of them build a synergy when ML is back. Also very different to Buddy/Rough, who grew together from day 1, so it may take a little time for them to hit their straps as a combo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s funny. Yesterday, I thought he did some great things but didn’t rip apart a defense that he might have been able to really get a hold of. Because of that, I was a little disappointed. After reading all the really positive comments, it made me think again.

I reckon I didn’t give him enough credit for making and halving a lot of contests in the forward 50. That being said, I don’t ever look at him in a one-on-one duel and feel comfortable that he’ll win out. I think he needs to work on his body positioning/strength in those contests. He’ll then be nearly unstoppable.

I used to think that he would be the stay at home forward and Lewis would be the high CHF. Having now seen his foot skills and body work, I’m beginning to think the opposite. However, if he’s playing part time in the ruck he will need a bit of “rest” as a deep forward.

Will be really interesting watching the two of them build a synergy when ML is back. Also very different to Buddy/Rough, who grew together from day 1, so it may take a little time for them to hit their straps as a combo.

I don't think Chol is a stay at home forward from what I have seen this season. He seems to be more comfortable roaming up and down the ground and backing up in the ruck. Not sure about his fitness and stamina but after 6 games I see him being of greatest value in a role similar to Cameron at Geelong. I am very interested to see how this develops.

Watching Chil against the Roos and one thing occurred to me that may explain his laconic appearance, which may also explain some of his marking and defensive troubles.

He's fast as you could ask for in a big man in a straight line, but his lateral movement is almost non-existent. As soon as he needs to prop against pressure or change direction laterally, he just waves the white flag.

If my observation is correct, it is actually something the club could test and work on. And he could significantly improve as a player over the course of a pre-season

Does anyone else agree? Or is it just my over imaginative noggin?

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Watching Chil against the Roos and one thing occurred to me that may explain his laconic appearance, which may also explain some of his marking and defensive troubles.

He's fast as you could ask for in a big man in a straight line, but his lateral movement is almost non-existent. As soon as he needs to prop against pressure or change direction laterally, he just waves the white flag.

If my observation is correct, it is actually something the club could test and work on. And he could significantly improve as a player over the course of a pre-season

Does anyone else agree? Or is it just my over imaginative noggin?

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
What defensive troubles? He's been doing some absolutely massive chases down the field. Why are you expecting him to pressure like a small forward? Would you apply the same to Lewis?

It’s the Chad Wingard situation all over again, he had a reputation before he came to the club. Whether it was right or wrong at the time is irrelevant, since coming to the club he was nothing but a professional and well liked. Yet everyone kept making the same assumptions about him.

Same with Chol. Really disappointing because he deserves a lot of credit for his effort in a struggling team.
I agree, just wish he was a tad more consistent with his effort. Has the ability.

Better than Kosi so he is an upgrade, he could be a very good player.

He comes across as somewhat laconic.
But as you posted, he's competing very nicely and we haven't seen the best of him yet. Great acquisition and his competing in the Ruck is also a bonus.

Chol has impressed me in the opening 6 games. It's not been an ideal start, losing Lewis has meant he's getting the best defender each week and our midfield issues have meant that a lot of our movement going forward has been slow and allowed opposition sides to structure up.

I can understand the lazy comments that some make, as others have said he can appear laconic at times but if you watch him closely throughout the game he is working hard up and down the field and putting in some big chases. His pressure is far better than I expected and given his agility for his height, he can create a lot of perceived pressure.

One thing I noted from the game on Sunday is he has now started to play with better positioning to allow him to play to his strengths. On a number of occasions he sat off the contest and then gave himself the room for a run and jump at the ball. Ideally he clunks the marks in this situation but what he has done is caused a lot of 50/50 contests that we have then scored from. I think these are the signs of him growing in confidence and backing himself to do these things. Early in the year he was starting behind the contest and easily being blocked out of a run, or he'd be running under the ball.

I'm hoping that with Lewis returning in the coming weeks that it'll free him up a little and allow him to take a second defender and create some headaches for teams.

Chol has impressed me in the opening 6 games. It's not been an ideal start, losing Lewis has meant he's getting the best defender each week and our midfield issues have meant that a lot of our movement going forward has been slow and allowed opposition sides to structure up.

I can understand the lazy comments that some make, as others have said he can appear laconic at times but if you watch him closely throughout the game he is working hard up and down the field and putting in some big chases. His pressure is far better than I expected and given his agility for his height, he can create a lot of perceived pressure.

One thing I noted from the game on Sunday is he has now started to play with better positioning to allow him to play to his strengths. On a number of occasions he sat off the contest and then gave himself the room for a run and jump at the ball. Ideally he clunks the marks in this situation but what he has done is caused a lot of 50/50 contests that we have then scored from. I think these are the signs of him growing in confidence and backing himself to do these things. Early in the year he was starting behind the contest and easily being blocked out of a run, or he'd be running under the ball.

I'm hoping that with Lewis returning in the coming weeks that it'll free him up a little and allow him to take a second defender and create some headaches for teams.
I reckon that second part was as much Gunston doing as Chols, he just has a bit more fitness now to put in the extra sprints at Gunston direction.

Imagine Chol with Gunston decision making… this is the Gold the Gunston brings long term and will be as valuable as hodge for Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back