Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Easily the biggest win from the weekend, he just looked like he was ready to lead the forward line.

Looks ready to break out this year and he still has more growth in him as well. I am also sure it is no coincidence he looks a lot better with the ball coming in quickly and isn't dealing with 3 defenders in the air each time.

It was quite obvious across the summer trainings that Mitch was really starting to find his voice and belief.

At different training sessions he was quite vocal and was starting to really set a different standard for himself in the match play.

It’s good to hear Sam mention on 360 that both he and Moorey have stepped up as the real leaders amongst the group, and when he comes out and clunks everything like he did early in the game on the weekend it’s even better to see that he can put those words into actions.

He just had to keep building on that now.

I was a bit questioning leaving Kosi out and also hoping to see Jeka and Callow get games this year but I really liked Sam just telling Mitch. YTMND and getting everyone out of his way to attack the ball and telling everyone to get it in quick. A few times Newcombe instantly turned and played on from about 60-65 to target Lewis or Gunston in a 1v1. Under Clarkson we often took our time there so we could setup defensively to create a forward 50 stoppage and minimise any rebound risk.

Also I imagine their conversation before the game going something like this:

Sam: Hey Mitch, do you know the story about Trent Croad being traded for pick 1 so the club could draft Luke Hodge?
Mitch: Yeah..
Sam: Worked out pretty well didn't it? Well the club traded ME to west coast for pick 88 because they wanted to draft YOU, so are you going to prove that it was worth it or did the club trade away a 5 time Crimmins medallist, 3x all Australian and Brownlow medallist for nothing?

I was a bit questioning leaving Kosi out and also hoping to see Jeka and Callow get games this year but I really liked Sam just telling Mitch. YTMND and getting everyone out of his way to attack the ball and telling everyone to get it in quick. A few times Newcombe instantly turned and played on from about 60-65 to target Lewis or Gunston in a 1v1. Under Clarkson we often took our time there so we could setup defensively to create a forward 50 stoppage and minimise any rebound risk.

Also I imagine their conversation before the game going something like this:

Sam: Hey Mitch, do you know the story about Trent Croad being traded for pick 1 so the club could draft Luke Hodge?
Mitch: Yeah..
Sam: Worked out pretty well didn't it? Well the club traded ME to west coast for pick 88 because they wanted to draft YOU, so are you going to prove that it was worth it or did the club trade away a 5 time Crimmins medallist, 3x all Australian and Brownlow medallist for nothing?
I think it goes to something I felt when I saw the news of Kosi being excluded, it has something to do with the make-up of the forward line and how it keeps its structure.

Gunners has a wealth of experience playing and working around other key forwards, he knows how the forward line needs to work to open up space for other guys. He has had massive seasons working around bigger, taller blokes in Roughy and Franklin, adapting his role for them. Kosi does not have that string to his bow - he is all intensity on the ground but he had a lot of situations last year where he was leading into other blokes space, barrelling them out of the way going for chest marks and creating chaos.

Lewis' finish to 2019 was very similar to his first game this year, in that Roughy was dropped to the VFL and Mitch was thrown into the forward line with all the confidence in the world that he was the big banana, and the forward line would work around him. If we tried to play both of those guys along with Jack, we'd be too tall and Kosi would be disruptive to that forward structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily the biggest win from the weekend, he just looked like he was ready to lead the forward line.

Looks ready to break out this year and he still has more growth in him as well. I am also sure it is no coincidence he looks a lot better with the ball coming in quickly and isn't dealing with 3 defenders in the air each time.
Yeah was hard to know how much of it was him, players delivering better due their own development, or game plan.

Doesn’t really matter because we know he can do it. Seems to be becoming a bit of a leader over the preseason too. Good on him

No wonder it took the Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees nearly 60 years to find silverware with comments like that
Ben Brown is your Key Forward

Leave the key forward talks for clubs who have had generational ones

Go back to the alps

You know they’re a hawthorn supporter right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back