Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure he’ll get a lot of opportunity today, but fingers crossed.
shut up.

The workrate on Mitch, when he competes with the same ball with Jack, and then ends up on the end of it.

Kid was picked at #78, then had a shoulder reco and a bad ankle injury.
First full pre-season this year and getting the rewards. He is working very hard on building his tank and will continue to get better and his work rate continues to improve.
We now need Kosi to keep making that improvement as that link between back and high forward/wing, was great to see him back today

Another very good game today from Mitch.
Playing on the best opposition defender week after week, and thriving.
Criticisms around being lazy and/or soft feel pretty dated this season - fair indication of his progress.
I particularly like the fact that he routinely seems to be right where we need him, competing hard - whether its deep or high half-forward. His footy IQ is growing with each game.

His game today was really really good, his becoming so consistent and his work up the ground thought was exceptionally good. Is finding alot of time in the contests now. Genuinely Flying!

One thing to keep in mind is he is a few years ahead of kozi, if Kozi can develop alongside Lewis, they both crash packs and will be a nightmare to play on and should be be peaking together in two years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just another reminder that some on this board were claiming he was behind Kosi and Jeka and we should have looked to trade him for whatever we could get last trade period.

Everyone gets things wrong on an opinion based forum.

I've been a big believer in Lewis, and have been vocal for years regarding Clarko's outdated gameplan, and it being time for a change. But I also thought Nash was honestly the worst player I had ever seen play for us, up until the end of last season. It happens.

I've been a big believer in Lewis, and have been vocal for years regarding Clarko's outdated gameplan, and it being time for a change. But I also thought Nash was honestly the worst player I had ever seen play for us, up until the end of last season. It happens.
To be fair to you J2S Nash as a forward pocket was an absolute stinker.

But Nash as a midfield/ruck utility ain't half bad.

We could only judge him on his performances and position he was being played in (I was also guilty of laying the boot into Connor)

Of course. But this was a player who showed his powerful marking and consistent ability to hit the scoreboard years ago but then clearly hit a rough period with injuries, and then when he returned last year and continued to keep hitting the scoreboard as his development got back on track there were still people lining up to ship him off in favour of two key forwards who (prior to this week) haven't even got a game at senior level this year.

This isn't a case of a player who's just come out of nowhere or found his calling in a new role (ie. Nash). This is the continuation of a steadily building young key forward who was interrupted by injuries.

My post wasn't meant to just be about ridiculing those who did call it wrong - though there was certainly an element of that in there, so I'll wear it if that was the main takeaway. The point was that we shouldn't be so quick to write-off developing players. Morrison is another that many would have chosen to delist or trade away for scraps at the end of last year. If we'd dumped those two we would almost certainly be in the bottom 4 right now and melting over how well they were performing at their new clubs.

Rolled my eyes when I heard him say this on 360 tonight. Absolutely pathetic criticism. He didn’t showboat or hold the footy out mockingly or go wait on the goal line. He just slowed down and took his time milking a few extra crucial seconds off the clock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back