Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Confidence.

It's a beautiful thing.
It's funny because it never felt like he lacked for confidence. Always seemed very sure of himself.

I have a feeling Clarko's system stifled that in a lot of younger players.

It's funny because it never felt like he lacked for confidence. Always seemed very sure of himself.

I have a feeling Clarko's system stifled that in a lot of younger players.
Nah, he was very much a confidence player. When he got an early goal or strong mark you really noticed his presence more afterwards.

It'd probably be fair to say that's the same for every young bloke still finding their feet, but feel it was more noticeable with Lewis.

This year he's had that belief from the start and is killing it. He knows he's a monster now, it's beautiful to watch!

Extending his contract last year would have saved us a lot of $$$. We may have tried.

2 full seasons of elite football would have cemented his status in the game and justified a large contract.

Do we make a god father offer off the back of 9 elite games?

We really have no choice. If we don't, someone else will. If his form is an out of contract mirage, we will be stuck in nowhere land for years.

As I said, I think we have no choice but to go all in and roll the dice on him.
I could see Mitch building into this form even last year before that debacle in the boxing ring derailed his season.

Doesn't feel like a flash in the pan, if anything he will get even better next year.

Do we make a god father offer off the back of 9 elite games?

We really have no choice. If we don't, someone else will.

If that happens and Mitch wants to take it, (which i doubt as he's invested) then we ask for the world in a trade

I want this deal to be a sign of the times. That Hawthorn can offer thumper contracts. That we will commit to you long term if you commit to us.

Will also attract other players in.

The Sicily deal was a good start.

The Clarko model is now gone. And we aren't a top 4 side anymore. We need to find other ways to reward our players and attract free agents in.

I want this deal to be a sign of the times. That Hawthorn can offer thumper contracts. That we will commit to you long term if you commit to us.

The Clarko model is now gone. And we aren't a top 4 side anymore. We need to find other ways to reward our players and attract free agents in.
I agree with most of what you’re saying but I still don’t want us to be reckless and handcuff our salary cap like the Saints and * have in recent times. I do however want players and their agents to know that the old regime is a thing of the past 👍🏼

Nah, he was very much a confidence player. When he got an early goal or strong mark you really noticed his presence more afterwards.

It'd probably be fair to say that's the same for every young bloke still finding their feet, but feel it was more noticeable with Lewis.

This year he's had that belief from the start and is killing it. He knows he's a monster now, it's beautiful to watch!
That's a bit different to lacking confidence though, and also not sure he was that much of a confidence player just a bloke who didn't get a good run. Shoulder injuries for a key forward take some getting over, always seemed to have little set backs whenever he was getting a good run at it too.

There were actually a few comments about ML having a slightly cocky personality given his skill as a sportsman, at golf and stuff like that, and that he was pushed to tone it down a little bit.

For all of Lewis' inconsistencies, he hasn't played a game without kicking a goal in 2 seasons now.

What sort of contract do you want to see Mitch Lewis offered ?

What sort of contract do you want to see Mitch Lewis offered ?

Train Reality GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't for the life of me understand why people rated Naughton so highly but not Lewis, identical stats since 2019

Been a fan of Lewis since his round 7 match of 2019 when he took 4 huge contested marks
Naughton has just had more prime time exposure, Friday nights, finals and part of a winning side.

Those 3:20pm Sunday slots have been why most haven't taken much notice of Lewis. Sort of the same reason why WA teams can be ignored. Out of sight, out of mind.

Naughton has just had more prime time exposure, Friday nights, finals and part of a winning side.

Those 3:20pm Sunday slots have been why most haven't taken much notice of Lewis. Sort of the same reason why WA teams can be ignored. Out of sight, out of mind.
Without looking at the stats I'd also assume that he's had better service from his midfield hitting lace out for shots on goal. Also helps that Naughton can stand on others heads to take a mark. Taking a speccy is the highlight equivalent of dunking a basketball which wows the crowd.

That's not the reason even our fans didn't rate him, I struggle getting my head around dismissing a player thats taking 2 contested marks per game, kicking a 1.5 goals a game while never having a full pre season

Some of our fans are questioning Tom Mitchell
Tom Mitchell is still our best player, but he does not suit the current gameplan at all.

On a side note looking at some of the previous posts I do not understand you guys at all. Seriously criticising Clarko for holding Lewis back? Pick 76 that was well on his way to becoming a regular in only his second year, how did he hold him back? I never saw anyone shocked that he spent time in the seconds for a year after that, he had obvious flaws he had to work on and he did. Sicily was way more of a headcase early on and he got the keys to the kingdom creatively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back