Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Ned Reeves. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this helps the discussion but a perennial top side rates Reeves in their ' top 5' players to stop against us .
Those were the days.

Anyway, good to see he got through on the weekend after the concussion a week earlier.

Ned Reeves (28 hit-outs, 13 disposals, five clearances, two marks)

“I thought Ned set himself up really well this week and had a presence around the ground and in particular, at stoppage. He was big and he got more of the ball across the ground. We set Ned the task of having a real presence and going up against a ruck like (Peter) Ladhams. Now it’s about becoming really consistent in this area and having a real presence on the ground.”

Those were the days.

Anyway, good to see he got through on the weekend after the concussion a week earlier.

“I thought Ned set himself up really well this week and had a presence around the ground and in particular, at stoppage. He was big and he got more of the ball across the ground. We set Ned the task of having a real presence and going up against a ruck like (Peter) Ladhams. Now it’s about becoming really consistent in this area and having a real presence on the ground.”
The good old days of pre round 1 2024 🙂

Those were the days.

Interesting. I thought he can off injured again. Didn’t play a lot of the last quarter (or it seemed that way from the eye), meaning we had to move Calsher into the ruck.

Noticed he’s not on the injury list, which is good.

I’ve also noticed that he has a pretty good handball (particularly compared to the rest of our seniors). Needs to start doing the big man stuff well - taking marks, etc. Often see him standing quietly by a pack rather than throwing his body in and laying a tackle.

Still time. Hopefully he is achieving his KOIs and gets another run soon.

Those were the days.

He didn't get through the game though, spent the last quarter on the pine after (yet another) head knock.

He didn't get through the game though, spent the last quarter on the pine after (yet another) head knock.
No mention of him being out with concussion protocols.

Reeves is fine

Good to hear. He's probably had more knocks in the last few weeks than his whole career.

He's clearly trying to change his game and get more involved around the ground, but he can't help being so damn tall - it's a long way down to the ground, and he's getting there by bending, which leaves him open to lots of accidental/glancing bumps.

Ned Reeves (One goal, 36 hit-outs, 10 disposals, four clearances, two tackles)

“Ned broke his hand in the second quarter but full credit to him, he played out the game, which was really pleasing. He had an influence on the game in the second half and he kicked a goal to get us back within a goal. It’s a great effort, I don’t know if anyone has ever played with a broken hand, it couldn’t have been an easy thing to do but that’s full credit to his mentality and his toughness to get through and still help the team. We already had Henry out at half-time and we were about to lose Chad at three-quarter time so full credit to Ned.”

Very impressive today against a quality opponent in ROB.
Played well around the ground too.

Surprised to log in now and not see more takes in Reeves. Thought he played very well and exceeded my expectations given the form so far this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised to log in now and not see more takes in Reeves. Thought he played very well and exceeded my expectations given the form so far this year.
He was excellent, into everything. I owe him an apology for being worried about Meek not being there. I was thrilled for him when he kicked that goal in the first.

I just don’t think they can.

Reeves was good yesterday. That was his best game this year. His work around the ground and his competitiveness were a positive improvement on his early season games
I tend to disagree.

Meek has clearly improved and Reeves showed he was happier to engage and deal physically with O’Brien and obviously did some handy things at ground level.

So my very brief assessment on Ned is he is working hard on improving his weaknesses. Both of these guys are getting better.

Collingwood at their best play Cameron and Cox together and it works well. They often play one deep forward resting to help Mihocek. No reason why we couldn’t do the same.

The key is for one of our two rucks to add confidence to their ability as a marking target inside F50.

Would mean Gunston probably slides out in a full strength team.

He looked physically a lot bigger yesterday. I dare say with the rule change he's been spending some extra time in the gym. Played really well.
He was far more willing to look for body contact in the ruck deal and was far more competitive as a result. Decent outing yesterday and seriously good number 2 ruck. But we can’t play him and Meek in the same side.

He is going to have to be patient this season and keep working hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Ned Reeves. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back