Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Pffft...

How to say you've never thrown dodecahedron dice without saying I've never thrown dodecahedron dice. :rolleyes:
On another note, my copy of the 1979 dungeon master's guide was the first actual copy in Australia. It was one of the first 50,000 original print run. And the only one of those to make it to Australia. I could almost out-nerd Gary Gygax. (although he was the bloke who actually sent me the book - so he probably still wins.)

Also worth noting that Jake Rogers who was picked 14th by the Suns is also 170cm. IMO with the way the game is played these days around the protection of the head it is going to allow more and more shorter players to succeed at the top level. The key for this to happen is they have to be quick which both Watson and Rogers are.

Rogers is a tenacious ball of muscle. Hopefully Watson puts on some more muscle and fills out a bit like Rogers had.

Rogers is a tenacious ball of muscle. Hopefully Watson puts on some more muscle and fills out a bit like Rogers had.
I was googling images of Watson as I thought he was already pretty nuggety for his age. Anyway, the main point is that whilst doing so I came across this article from when he was a kid.

I was googling images of Watson as I thought he was already pretty nuggety for his age. Anyway, the main point is that whilst doing so I came across this article from when he was a kid.

Nicholas was selected for the Australian School Boys athletics team in long jump last year and plays high level basketball in Maroondah.

Impressive for someone of his stature..

Might need our boards fact guru to back this up but I was just wondering who is the shortest ever player to wear a Hawthorn guernsey. We know Noodle is the tallest at 209cm (6'10") and with a quick google search I came up with Ern Utting who was 166cm (5'5").

The list of 7 players below were awarded 2 x Brownlow's, 1 x Norm Smith, team leading goal kickers and Team of the Century awards. Oh and the funniest fun fact that made me laugh is Ern Utting's nickname was 'Tich'.

View attachment 1859799
Barry Cable was 1.70 and went alright. (obviously there's Johnny as well)

Nicholas was selected for the Australian School Boys athletics team in long jump last year and plays high level basketball in Maroondah.

Impressive for someone of his stature..

What it didn't mention is that he was just really good at NBA 2K.

Barry Cable was 1.70 and went alright. (obviously there's Johnny as well)

Platts was arguably the best on baller we've had since Matthews, his success is definitely the one I'd point to.

Just insanely damaging in everything he did with ball in hand for 12 odd years. Got it a lot, was almost always moving at pace when he did. Was tagged during an era where you could get belted a lot. Walked right through that and was elite in most every department. 200+ goals as an on baller too.

Give Watson the 44 if he wants it.

They're vastly different players, but that jumper makes a real point that height alone won't dictate what his ceiling can be.

The way he is able to change direction on a dime, coupled with (seemingly) his ability to make extremely quick decisions, is going to make players look like they are on ice skates.
Those highlights where he's in and out of a move, and handing off or kicking before his opponent has even finished reacting to that first move are mind bending.

That's where I think he's Cyril like.

Platts was arguably the best on baller we've had since Matthews, his success is definitely the one I'd point to.

Just insanely damaging in everything he did with ball in hand for 12 odd years. Got it a lot, was almost always moving at pace when he did. Was tagged during an era where you could get belted a lot. Walked right through that and was elite in most every department. 200+ goals as an on baller too.

They're vastly different players, but that jumper makes a real point that height alone won't dictate what his ceiling can be.
Henry Hustwaite is in the #44 atm so there'd have to be a number shuffle for that to happen. I like the number choice though.

If Ginni gets the #33 then our forward line could feature #22, #33 and #44

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are saying we need a Dermie/Dipper/Ayres body guard system for the Wiz

Awesome summary of The Rat.

When I find myself in times of trouble, youtube highlights come to me
Nick 'the Wizard' Watson, let it be, let it be
And though he hasn't started
it won't be long til we can see
Nick 'the Wizard' Watson, on the 'G, let it be.
the wizardry on the 'g, wizardry for all to see
Nick 'the Wizard' Watson, let it be, let it be...

So you are saying we need a Dermie/Dipper/Ayres body guard system for the Wiz

Almost massive consequences when those three hit the snooze button on GF day 1989' !

Don't think he'll ever deal with anything remotely like what the Rat copped in all seriousness.

Just a very different time.

When I find myself in times of trouble, youtube highlights come to me
Nick 'the Wizard' Watson, let it be, let it be
And though he hasn't started
it won't be long til we can see
Nick 'the Wizard' Watson, on the 'G, let it be.
the wizardry on the 'g, wizardry for all to see
Nick 'the Wizard' Watson, let it be, let it be...

Even though small in stature I kind've get the feeling that Watson isn't the type to need a bodyguard. I mean you can't hit what you can't catch.
Clarko likes this post.....(sorry I couldn't help myself)

Might need our boards fact guru to back this up but I was just wondering who is the shortest ever player to wear a Hawthorn guernsey. We know Noodle is the tallest at 209cm (6'10") and with a quick google search I came up with Ern Utting who was 166cm (5'5").

The list of 7 players below were awarded 2 x Brownlow's, 1 x Norm Smith, team leading goal kickers and Team of the Century awards. Oh and the funniest fun fact that made me laugh is Ern Utting's nickname was 'Tich'.

View attachment 1859799
I’ll be calling Watson Ern utting at games now cheers Carn ern

Also worth noting that Jake Rogers who was picked 14th by the Suns is also 170cm. IMO with the way the game is played these days around the protection of the head it is going to allow more and more shorter players to succeed at the top level. The key for this to happen is they have to be quick which both Watson and Rogers are.
That kind of positivity about Watson's height is downright dangerous Bugs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back