Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is McCabe is very slight of frame and is at least a couple of preseasons away to have an AFL ready frame. Curtin is a 98 kg manchild and is ready to hit the ground running.
Drafting is done for way down the track. What the player does in their first couple of years means little compared to where they end up.

I don’t think McCabe shaped our pick though. I’d say we just rated Watson the better talent.

One of my best friends was around 5'10" at the end of year 12 (17 years old). End of first year uni went to 6'7".
The Wiz wont grow, his growth plates mostly fused years ago. Those who gain height as late teens tend to be a reasonable height already and haven't completely stopped growing. What is amazing now, is how many of these very tall players are good athletes, once upon a time the 6'6''plus range were mostly beanpoles, old hawks fans will remember Ken Beck, a typical example from decades ago.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the lad perform, though a tad worried about the hype. (not the height)

Is there anyone that’s actually watched Watson that is complaining? I feel if you’re on the fence, watch his highlights, and hide your erection if you’re at work.

Pumped, elite talent in an area it’s rare to find elite talent in, and a real game changer.

Think Greene, Papley, Kosi.

Player sponsorship incoming?

The Wiz wont grow, his growth plates mostly fused years ago. Those who gain height as late teens tend to be a reasonable height already and haven't completely stopped growing. What is amazing now, is how many of these very tall players are good athletes, once upon a time the 6'6''plus range were mostly beanpoles, old hawks fans will remember Ken Beck, a typical example from decades ago.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the lad perform, though a tad worried about the hype. (not the height)
I never said that the Wiz was going to grow. He is no Serong ;)

Dogs and Melbourne were taking Watson if we didnt. Melbourne were dead keen on him.

Forget height. Small forward is the only position it doesnt really matter, he is so unbelievably clean with his ball handling. I got no idea how to post clips but did anyone see that goal he kicked where he crumbed the ball in the middle of a pack , shuffled onto his right foot and dribbled it through a bunch of players legs.. all in about 0.5 secs. Ridiculous.

Regarding Wiz's size, I think it will be an advantage. His pace and sideways movement are Elite.
The advantage he gets is that he will draw many free kicks in the fwd line. All legit.

He won't need to duck like Duckwood used to.
Hope the crowd come up with something similar like Bruesty.
Wizzer or something.

I'm nut sure why so many are keen to move him into the midfield. We already bat deep there, he will play forward for the next 15 years.

Was hoping we would pick up a KP player, as I think we are short of quality KP. However very excited to see the Wizard light up the G, and have that forward pocket pairing sewn up with Ginni for the next 10 years.

It's almond like they have forgotten how much we've struggled to score goals over the last few years. Our midfield is deep, whilst our forward line needed addressing.

Edit: could have thrown in a gag about addressing our forward cashews in there too

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anyone that’s actually watched Watson that is complaining? I feel if you’re on the fence, watch his highlights, and hide your erection if you’re at work.

Pumped, elite talent in an area it’s rare to find elite talent in, and a real game changer.

Think Greene, Papley, Kosi.

Not disappointed at all. If our recruiters backed in Watson over Curtin (who I wanted) then who am I to argue. Kid is undoubtedly talented and I'm stoked he is a Hawk now.

I'm nut sure why so many are keen to move him into the midfield. We already bat deep there, he will play forward for the next 15 years.

Was hoping we would pick up a KP player, as I think we are short of quality KP. However very excited to see the Wizard light up the G, and have that forward pocket pairing sewn up with Ginni for the next 10 years.

It's almond like they have forgotten how much we've struggled to score goals over the last few years. Our midfield is deep, whilst our forward line needed addressing.

And you want this kind of kid in your forward half - he'll be saying 'cashew me if you pecan' to opposition defenders in no time.

Last edited:
Not disappointed at all. If our recruiters backed in Watson over Curtin (who I wanted) then who am I to argue. Kid is undoubtedly talented and I'm stoked he is a Hawk now.
I preferred Curtin as well, but looking at his expression when drafted to Adelaide I think there may be at least one good reason we didn't go down that path.

It will be interesting whether he retains his original nickname of Bulldog

The Wiz is a recent moniker bestowed on him by Cal Twomey hence when asked, he always says ‘Cal will like that’
The Wizard moniker is well and truly here for good.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

It will be interesting whether he retains his original nickname of Bulldog

The Wiz is a recent moniker bestowed on him by Cal Twomey hence when asked, he always says ‘Cal will like that’

Giving shit to Twomey - I love this kid more and more.

I preferred Curtin as well, but looking at his expression when drafted to Adelaide I think there may be at least one good reason we didn't go down that path.
I think he expected to go to vic or wc. Probably well prepared for that. I can appreciate why it could be a shock when it was playing out the way you hoped right up until the crows swooped in with a trade. I think we need to give young guys with little media exposure the benefit of the doubt.

Giving s**t to Twomey - I love this kid more and more.
Twomey might actually “like” a Hawthorn tweet for once in his life with Wiz in our jumper. Not likely though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back