Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2058904

Incredible that he's having a more direct scoreboard opportunities than Cyril.
If he had 0.8 behinds per game like Cyril, he'd be averaging 1.7 goals per game.
Amazing rookie season.
This kid is a star.
Another reason why I don't like the player comparisons, Cyril was never a goal first player. He only had a ping when it was the best available opportunity. Love what Watson's doing but he's averaging those shots because he's taken a ping almost every time the opportunity presented itself, hence the inaccuracy.

If Watson stays injury free like Cyril couldn't, every chance he has a better career, and he almost definitely kicks more goals, but there are very few people close to as complete as Cyril was for his position in Year 1 in the AFL.

I think if the past few weeks are an indicator Watson is every chance of getting there, don't reckon he's close to the same overall impact yet.

Another reason why I don't like the player comparisons, Cyril was never a goal first player. He only had a ping when it was the best available opportunity. Love what Watson's doing but he's averaging those shots because he's taken a ping almost every time the opportunity presented itself, hence the inaccuracy.

If Watson stays injury free like Cyril couldn't, every chance he has a better career, and he almost definitely kicks more goals, but there are very few people close to as complete as Cyril was for his position in Year 1 in the AFL.

I think if the past few weeks are an indicator Watson is every chance of getting there, don't reckon he's close to the same overall impact yet.
Also not many other goals to go around in Cyril’s first year when Rough and Buddy put through 188 between them.

Cyril also had 24 goal assists.

I love what Watsons been able to do. I do agree he’s a bit behind Cyril’s first year.

Also not many other goals to go around in Cyril’s first year when Rough and Buddy put through 188 between them.

Cyril also had 24 goal assists.

I love what Watsons been able to do. I do agree he’s a bit behind Cyril’s first year.
And Cyril set up a few good looks, reckon he'd have had 30-40 assists if both those boys were a bit more accurate. 188 goals between em but 139 behinds too.

There is only one Cyril.
Watson has a long way to go before he reaches the same level, if he ever does, but the point still stands about his performances being exceptionally good.

There is only one Cyril.
Watson has a long way to go before he reaches the same level, if he ever does, but the point still stands about his performances being exceptionally good.
Get what you're saying, there's no other young small forward I'd rather have given what he's shown over the past few weeks!

Watching his interview on 360 the other night he made an interesting comment about his goal kicking practice, with Sammy.
I couldn’t quite make it out but I think he said “aim well, miss well”, then said I won’t say more about that. Perhaps something Sammy said to him, like a mantra.
I found that interesting.

Watching his interview on 360 the other night he made an interesting comment about his goal kicking practice, with Sammy.
I couldn’t quite make it out but I think he said “aim well, miss well”, then said I won’t say more about that. Perhaps something Sammy said to him, like a mantra.
I found that interesting.

I heard it as "aim small miss small"

Have heard it from him a couple of times but cant fathom what it could mean.

It's a term used quite often in terms of pistol / rifle marksmanship

Yup.
Instead of generically shooting at an area, you take a very specific point of aim and work at your technique to miss that target by as little as possible. That will give you the greatest margin to then contain your shot within a far more restricted zone of 'miss'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a term used quite often in terms of pistol / rifle marksmanship

Yep. If you aim at the target and miss, you might miss the target, if you aim at the bullseye and miss, you'll still hit the target. It's good advice, same logic as telling someone to kick it to someone behind the goals. They actually put up little targets behind the goals at practice.

1000005850.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back