Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli was definitely stronger, quicker, more explosive and a better athlete in general. He was a very rare mix of those traits.

Edit: I didn't want to bring up the age thing as it could come across as condescending, when that's not my intention. But I see KermitJagger had addressed this too.

Physiclly Rioli could do things that no one else could, especially before his hammies had an impact. I'm not sure how you could really argue otherwise given you'd have been only a few years old when Rioli was drafted. Take it from those who were lucky enough to watch him every week.

Puopolo is a better comparison, albeit Watson is more skilful and had more "x-factor." I'd say Watson is a rich man's Puopolo.
It’s less of a comparison to Cyril, and more of a contrast to how good I believe Watson is as an athlete.

To say he vastly different as a player (Cyril to Watson) is wrong, but the need to compare them consistently is also not needed, as they’re different in their own ways.

I get the age thing, again. It can come across that way but don’t worry it hasn’t, but the fact is, I’ve watched a lot of him both during his career and rewatching, as I have for a lot of hawthorn games and the afl generally.

I don’t think you can say “Rioli was definitely stronger, quicker, more explosive and a better athlete in general. He was a very rare mix of those traits.” Just don’t believe that to be true, not to say Cyril wasn’t incredible as an athlete, but Watsons athletic profile is similarly top quality. (Strong and powerful, quick, explosive, endurance, leap, de-acceleration) which will only be honed more as he continues at afl level.

As I said there’s really no need to compare them, but to say with such definitive certainty that Watson isn’t as athletic is wrong, could be the same for me saying he is albeit both opinions.

Good old Bruce mcavaney , he retired from calling without ever pronouncing puopolo's name correctly. Pulopolo was poppy's name as far as he was concerned.

Watson the better athlete? No chance. Agility is a component of athleticism. While Watson’s caused debate about head high frees in his first season, opponents could hardly get a finger on Rioli throughout his career, such was his agility and evasiveness.

This is Watson’s thread though so I mean no disrespect, very happy that he’s a Hawk.

Comparisons to past players aside, I reckon Watson's impact on games will be huge.

His game sense, field kicking and defensive pressure is absolutely elite. He can take hangers, burst from stoppages, and break lines. This isn't even touching on the offensive scoring prowess that he will refine over the off-season.

He's also a strong nugget for his size and fears absolutely no one. Last game he was actively bursting through tackles and spoiling the ball when pitted against a ruck!

We're loading up on elite athletes and footy players, but also X-factor, and I bloody love it!

No one has - perhaps no one will - combine the athleticism AND footballing ability of Rioli.

Rioli was only endurance (and a couple of good hamstrings) away from being arguably one of the best players in history. Rioli 13 touches game was in the discussion for BOG. If he could have lasted in the middle and got to 20-25 consistently, it would be a case of Ablett Jnr who? Rioli was a more gifted athlete than Buddy, I have no doubt.

As a result, Puopolo was incredibly under-rated as both a footballer and an athlete - he came across to us as a mature-age, but could do things no-one else his height could. Long to Puopolo in the pack was a legitimate strategy. if not for Rioli, Puopolo would have been the one in the limelight, likely earning multiple AA (or Hawthorn style, being "unlucky" every year.

Saying Watson presents a similar (potentially even an upgrade) profile to Puopolo is a tremendous thing.

Geez I loved that defensive spoil off the back of the center square that stopped a much taller Blues player mark.
Came down hard on the flat of his back and was straight back up and available to the play.
The kid is hard. Like seriously hard.
Love him.
Saad I think it was, Watto gave his hammy a workout it couldn't handle in the end
He's so tenacious & like you said seriously hard but mostly I enjoying his team 1st ethic. I'm sure he would luv to kick a massive bag but he just knows that it's true with this young team & the 2 oldies 🤣 that it's one for all & all for one.
The massive bag & there will be many will eventually come when he's ready.
We've got a ripper in him

I think I've also seen enough of his physicality and contested work at AFL level to be confident that his future includes significant midfield time.

Could be a more athletic Lachie Neale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I've also seen enough of his physicality and contested work at AFL level to be confident that his future includes significant midfield time.

Could be a more athletic Lachie Neale.

I know some here questioned whether he had the frame/makeup to go through the middle before we drafted him......having watched him play now I don't see a single thing that would hold him back.
He's more CBA for me than following all around the ground where he might get hit pillar to post, but he has the instincts to be first to the ball and explode from stoppage like only the best do.

No one has - perhaps no one will - combine the athleticism AND footballing ability of Rioli.

Rioli was only endurance (and a couple of good hamstrings) away from being arguably one of the best players in history. Rioli 13 touches game was in the discussion for BOG. If he could have lasted in the middle and got to 20-25 consistently, it would be a case of Ablett Jnr who? Rioli was a more gifted athlete than Buddy, I have no doubt.

As a result, Puopolo was incredibly under-rated as both a footballer and an athlete - he came across to us as a mature-age, but could do things no-one else his height could. Long to Puopolo in the pack was a legitimate strategy. if not for Rioli, Puopolo would have been the one in the limelight, likely earning multiple AA (or Hawthorn style, being "unlucky" every year.

Saying Watson presents a similar (potentially even an upgrade) profile to Puopolo is a tremendous thing.
Gee, I think your understating Buddy's athleticism. Endurance wise he was vastly better than Cyril, more robust, too.

I know some here questioned whether he had the frame/makeup to go through the middle before we drafted him......having watched him play now I don't see a single thing that would hold him back.
He's more CBA for me than following all around the ground where he might get hit pillar to post, but he has the instincts to be first to the ball and explode from stoppage like only the best do.
Agree. Probably more of the Moore CBA cameo before returning to forward role to begin with. But if he takes to winning clearances like he showed briefly late in the Collingwood game then serious consideration would have to be made for a more midfield focused role.

In all the years watching footy I have never seen anyone read the play as early as what the Wiz does.

He's ranked in the top 15 in the league for crumbs. That is, gaining ground balls that are won by a player after a marking contest.

His speed, acceleration and learning under Breust has helped a lot with that. It's probably a big reason why no small forward in history has ever produced a first season like the Wiz in terms of scoring chances.

Duursma will be a good player I'm sure but I'm so so glad North chose Zane and left Watson for us.

Going to be a fun 15 or so years watching this little champ run around for us.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
We could be down the wizard and newk if north had a semblance of decision making, let’s not imagine this time line

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back