Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

can play anywhere but hopefully destined to play midfield
Imagine if Weds does develop the way we think he will, and does move into the midfield. That midfield will go from formidable to unstoppable: Day, Duke, Worps, Nash, Weddle, the mind fairly boggles....

Might be just me but I don't really care if Weddle becomes a midfielder or not.

What Wedds is showing in the position he plays is promising enough. Having a genuine utility who can shut down an opponent in defence, tear down the wing with a few bounces in attack and bob up for a 50m goal on the HFF is exciting and a much bigger point of difference than having him just in the middle.

If he can do some rotations through there all the better, but at this stage he could be the best tall utility in the league and that's something much harder to find than a midfielder.

Might be just me but I don't really care if Weddle becomes a midfielder or not.

What Wedds is showing in the position he plays is promising enough. Having a genuine utility who can shut down an opponent in defence, tear down the wing with a few bounces in attack and bob up for a 50m goal on the HFF is exciting and a much bigger point of difference than having him just in the middle.

If he can do some rotations through there all the better, but at this stage he could be the best tall utility in the league and that's something much harder to find than a midfielder.
I genuinely think we're better served with him staying in his current role.
Our midfield is log-jammed up the wazzoo and he provides so much flexibility.

That play late in the last quarter. After rucking and being just about everywhere on the ground, wins a holding the ball decision in the back line, trots off, takes a couple of bounces and bombs it 50 metres plus into attack. Easy as you like.

He can play anywhere. A lot of players they say that about, I find myself wondering 'how would he go in the ruck?' But Weds can play ruck too! He can play ruck, back, forward, midfield, wing, literally any position on the ground.

He could be that outside mid we think Bailey Smith will be. If Smith decides to move elsewhere. If we get Battle, for instance, it frees up a spot in defence. Would not play him in the ruck. Think he and Nash could be back ups though. As they are now. The really big deal is that he is a swing man that can play anywhere. So, IMO, midfield would be the spot and play him elsewhere as needed.

He could be that outside mid we think Bailey Smith will be. If Smith decides to move elsewhere. If we get Battle, for instance, it frees up a spot in defence. Would not play him in the ruck. Think he and Nash could be back ups though. As they are now. The really big deal is that he is a swing man that can play anywhere. So, IMO, midfield would be the spot and play him elsewhere as needed.
Agreed. I meant to say I think his ultimate position is midfield, but time will tell…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he’s already atoned for his “footsteps” moment but did so again backing back for a crucial mark today. Love the kid
Was very courageous (10 mins to go in the last qtr) & stood up tall. So good 👍

I know Sheezel, Wardlaw, and Ashcroft are great players, but I wouldn't swap Weddle for any of them.
His positional flexibility and attacking flair makes him one of the most valuable players in the AFL.
totally agree. Wardlaw gets a lot of media praise for a bloke whose kicking is meh. Sure he hunts the ball for a half of footy before he tires, but his disposal needs a lot of work. Sheezel and Ashcroft are top shelf, but again, we would laugh at any proposal to trade him for either. Weddle is a unicorn.

totally agree. Wardlaw gets a lot of media praise for a bloke whose kicking is meh. Sure he hunts the ball for a half of footy before he tires, but his disposal needs a lot of work. Sheezel and Ashcroft are top shelf, but again, we would laugh at any proposal to trade him for either. Weddle is a unicorn.

C'mon, no one is laughing at a trade for Sheezel. He is a phenomenon and is playing like a top 3 player in the league right now. If he was in a better side he'd be getting serious brownlow votes.

Drafted as a forward. Dominated at HBF and is now dominating in the midfield. He is outperforming Daicos at the same age and is primed to become the best player in the league.

He's putting up GAJ numbers as a midfielder in his second season, and it was a fairly foreign position to him.

Since moving into the midfield over the last nine games:
29.11 touches (12.67 contested)
5.11 marks
3.77 tackles
5.11 clearances
11 goals
10 direct goal assists
5.78 score involvements

Agree regarding Ashcroft though. He's a gun, but I think Weddle is a better user and I believe he (Weddle) has more upside, probably has as much upside as anyone 21 or younger in the competition.

Last edited:
C'mon, no one is laughing at a trade for Sheezel. He is a phenomenon and is playing like a top 3 player in the league right now. If he was in a better side he'd be getting serious brownlow votes.

Drafted as a forward. Dominated at HBF and is now dominating in the midfield. He is outperforming Daicos at the same age and is primed to become the best player in the league.

Agree regarding Ashcroft though. He's a gun, but I think Weddle is a better user and I believe he (Weddle) has more upside, probably has as much upside as anyone 21 or younger in the competition.
I said Sheezel was top shelf, but neither club would trade for the other. Unicorns with significant growth in almost every position on the ground, small or tall, yeah we are not giving up Weddle for anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back