Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Sam Frost. Hits trigger for 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Super interesting how many picks were involved in that trade.

I guess the future second rounder we are giving up will be worth about 24 to 30 range.

Can someone do a calculation to confirm the points values please?

For 2019 draft we gain 257 points
In: pick 42 (395)
pick 61 (135)
Out: pick 50 (273)

2020 draft.
Assume Hawks scrape into the 8 and dees improve but still just outside the 8

Out: pick 29 (653)
In: pick 62 (123)

Bottom line - we gain 257 points this year and give up a bit over 500 next year.

Net cost: about 270 points
So in effect he has cost us pick about pick 50 in what is shaping as a weak draft in 2020

This trade on paper is good right now.

IF we can have a good season next year(i.e. make finals, finish top 6) and Frost can contribute well, then this trade will look even better than it already does.

This trade will hopefully go down in the moneyball success storys along with Impey, Scully, Scrimshaw, Titch

-Tall defensive line-up r1 2020
-Hardwick(S) Frawley(T) Stratton (M)
-Sicily(M) Mcevoy(T) Frost(S)

Small defensive line-up r1 2020
-Hardwick(S) Frawley(T) Stratton(S)
-Sicily(M) Frost(T) Scrimshaw(M)

Very excited about this trade, I think Frost will thrive in our system and allow Sicily to thrive even more.

I think the trade value was pretty decent although it is subjet to future performance:
- Best case scenario: Frost = pick 71
- Worst case scenario: Frost = pick 30
- Likely scenario: Frost ~ pick 52 (Haw 6th, Melb 10th)

Welcome to Hawthorn Frosty!

The winner is...

images

From what I read Melbourne were not prepared to offer him a contract. From that perspective the little that Melbourne got from the deal was a bonus for them. There was no reciprocation for the Lewis deal.

Welcome to the club Sam, I think you are just what we need and I'm sure you will play your best footy under clear instruction and a positive environment.

I'm hoping he can be as effective as pre-injury Goose Maguire (Saints) - but quicker.

Probs not trusted to hit a lead at 30m-40m, but could run 20m & kick 60m if given license.

Not that it's generally our style, but it's handy to have an 80m player as KPP (CHB), who can break a line & kick over a zone every now & again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping he can be as effective as pre-injury Goose Maguire (Saints) - but quicker.

Probs not trusted to hit a lead at 30m-40m, but could run 20m & kick 60m if given license.

Not that it's generally our style, but it's handy to have an 80m player as KPP (CHB), who can break a line & kick over a zone every now & again.
Yeah he may not be a reliable kick but he sure can roost them.

Teams will not want to fall asleep around 50 with Sicily and Frost lurking.

Completely fleeced us on this trade. Unbelievable.

Congratulations.
I am not sure why everyone thinks it was one sided, if Hawks finish similar to this year, Melbourne would have about pick 28, they gave up pick 42, that is quite a nice jump up, can still pick up good players in top 30. Melbourne got Landon and only gave up 4 spots in exchange with Fremantle. I would have thought Melbourne did extremely well in the Langdon deal and still very well in this deal if Frost was excess. I am still not sure whether Hawks can guarantee spot for Frost, as between him and O'Brien for the last spot in the backline.

Dees could be getting pick 19 next year for those saying we fleeced them.
No way are they taking the Priority Picks off Gil Coast, nor will no side bid on an Academy or Father/Son player.

Can't be 19 & won't be anywhere near that.

Exactly what we needed.

I never want to see Sic standing a ruckman ever again, reminds me of the bad old days when Joel Smith was our key back.

Apart from that, we now have Brand, Kosi and Frost all fighting for the second key back post. That's healthy.

It could even end up a Frost/Brand combo in future waitint for Kosi; or Frost/Kosi.

No matter what; Scrimshaw, Sicily, and our captain can all breath a little easier, if a injury happens or form drops off.

And for me, the key point is Frawley can now take his time, if/when he has bad days.

Grief is a funny thing, you never know when or how it's gonna bite. Get behind him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Sam Frost. Hits trigger for 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back