Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to have to disagree here, if I was the 18 other clubs in 2024 I will be offering a huge contract for seamus which just open up future challenges, essentially this time next year he is already considering next steps instead of atleast a years grace.

Clubs put in years of work on key players, particularly ones that are gettable
You realise he has extended to the end of 2025, yeah?

“This time next year” he’ll still have over a year to go with us on this deal.

By then if he’s continuing to be best 22 and living up to his potential we’ll already be in talks to extend him again.

When was the last time a young, best 22 player walked out on us over money?

Franklin. Although it wasn't just about money, but it wasn't not about money. We could have offered him much more but we wouldn't have added 2 premierships afterwards.
No. It wasn't about money - period.

But let's just say it was for the sake of argument, that's one example in 10 years ago. Clearly the club doesn't have a problem with retention of best 22 players when it comes to the terms of their deals. They know what they're doing.

It just feels like a pleasant surprise to be honest. Expectations of someone who gets delisted and re-rookied are often extremely low from a supporter perspective. So for him to not only debut but actually become a reliable, strong contributor is really pleasing.

I'll file him in the Hardwick as a defender, Moore and Reeves categories of much better than I thought they'd ever be.

Sent from my SCV41 using Tapatalk

It just feels like a pleasant surprise to be honest. Expectations of someone who gets delisted and re-rookied are often extremely low from a supporter perspective. So for him to not only debut but actually become a reliable, strong contributor is really pleasing.

I'll file him in the Hardwick as a defender, Moore and Reeves categories of much better than I thought they'd ever be.

When he wins his seventh Norm Smith, and 8th Brownlow, he'll be much better than I thought he'd be.

I was never concerned about his delisting - it had nothing to do with ability. Everyone at the club and most astute punters knew what we had, he was just riddled with injuries that never allowed him to get any consistency into his training. It was always about freeing up a spot on the main list, getting his body right (which we did) and then seeing what he could do. Bit different to Dylan Moore who did have in juries as well early on but was very borderline in his second year until that infamous game against GC where he had a massive game and polled brownlow votes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

358818899_628308756030897_1866450103403711720_n.jpg

It is a strange feeling that I feel most comfortable when he has the ball in hand, for a bloke who has played so few AFL games.

he just doesn’t look flustered at all

very consistent, very reliable and very bloody good decision maker.

Congratulations are well deserved

Well deserved for his period of work! He’s given us a much different look since he’s been in the side.

I have to admit though I didn’t think Saturday was his best work and the nomination has caught me off guard. Must’ve been a quiet week for rising stars?

A natural dasher with clean skills …….. a bit of Prichard in young Seamus.
One of my absolute favourite players as a kid. His delivery to our forwards was top shelf. Was hard at it too, even though he didn’t have a heap of size.

If Seamus turns out anywhere near as good as Pritch we’ll be laughing all the way to the bank.

One of my absolute favourite players as a kid. His delivery to our forwards was top shelf. Was hard at it too, even though he didn’t have a heap of size.

If Seamus turns out anywhere near as good as Pritch we’ll be laughing all the way to the bank.
Childhood memories etched with Rex Hunt calling ‘Pritchard to a long, long leadddd from Dunstall’.

Onya Shammy. Great wheels. Clean skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back