Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was all in on Max Holmes in his draft year (electric speed and good footy instincts) and was shattered when when Geelong traded up to nab him. When we took Mitchell a few picks later, I loved the look of him but like most, knew very little about him. After two years of battling injuries we finally get to see how much potential this kid has. As good a Holmes has proven to be so far, I honstly wouldn’t swap Seamus for Max Holmes
Apparently we were into Max Holmes. The fact that our talent scouts identified Mitchell and Tyler who were both speculative picks and not in phantom drafts etc shows that we should have good faith in our recruiting team. DGB was highly ranked by all talent scouts and in a survey a number of recruiters said they would take him number one if they had the first pick. We had to take Downie as well. Saemus along with Holmes look likely to be two of the better draft hunches of what was a compromised draft with no games in Victoria.

Has there been a quicker rise from debut to absolute best 22 lock? May be one or two, but to also come from someone recently delisted....woweee

Can't wait to see him play when he genuinely has confidence and takes it all on

It’s come from nowhere. I watched the intra club where he was marking Luke Bruest for large periods. He did look ok, but nobody could’ve seen this coming.

Still can’t believe the turnaround from delisting last year to current performance. Like Moore before him, is such a windfall for the overall team when a player on the outer comes good. Looks a potential lock in backline for a long time.
Agreed. He has definitely proven to others at the club how, when the comfort of being on a AFL list is removed, even for a short period of time, it can be a great motivator.

Makes you think maybe there’s a couple more players on our list who could benefit from being delisted….then rookied as a more clear kick up the bum to get them focused! 😉

Agreed. He has definitely proven to others at the club how, when the comfort of being on a AFL list is removed, even for a short period of time, it can be a great motivator.

Makes you think maybe there’s a couple more players on our list who could benefit from being delisted….then rookied as a more clear kick up the bum to get them focused! 😉
You reckon it was a lack of motivation keeping him back - not the injuries?

Thank God he didn't get picked up as a DFA by anybody...

Can you imagine the conniptions we'd all be having watching him do what he is doing for another team right now?

Can you imagine the conniptions we'd all be having watching him do what he is doing for another team right now?
No team was going to pick him he had shown nothing was an injury risk. I also maintain we knew more about him to get the best out of him. However you are right they would have been melts especially from Strapping Young Lad

Most improved player so far:

Seamus or Conor Nash?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No team was going to pick him he had shown nothing was an injury risk. I also maintain we knew more about him to get the best out of him. However you are right they would have been melts especially from Strapping Young Lad
I did cop some ribbing on here for how bullish I was on Seamus.

I did cop some ribbing on here for how bullish I was on Seamus.

Aye, you and me, man...against the world...
drunk crazy ex girlfriend GIF

Handing players early access to unrestricted free agency for the rest of their career is a pretty big price to pay just to motivate them.

You reckon it was a lack of motivation keeping him back - not the injuries?
No chance of that Brant, he is more determined than anyone from what I can see. Totally committed to improvement and getting to know the systems. Huge upside in a player that moves and thinks to quick for lower divisions and looks fantastic when surrounded by elite thinking.

Handing players early access to unrestricted free agency for the rest of their career is a pretty big price to pay just to motivate them.
If they’re close enough to getting cut, it’s not as if they were going to get a signed to a 5 year deal though was it?

When can we expect to hear news about a new contract extension?
If I was head of marketing at the club I'd hold all that type of good news until after the Sicily appeal was done. We might need a pick me up.

Especially if the same was happening for the last couple of seasons for Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back