Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

The club could take a collective dump in your house and you'd still be happy.
If the club were to take a "collective dump" that would still be one dump though wouldn't it? or would you have each player, admin, coach etc all take their own dumps to form a collective dump?

I've just got a case of Ports malaise
We've all got the malaise - we're all aware that none of this means anything until there's a change of coach - I just refuse to let it stain every moment of the footy, I've got 4 kids that are all members and love the club. I've paid my membership, I'm going to Alberton on Saturday to watch the girls and I'll be at an open training early next year.

LMAO at Geelong taking what may well be the last 2 picks in this draft.

YOU SHOWED US!!!! 🤣

Ridiculous they bothered, ridiculous we gave them the picks in the first place. What a monumental waste of time all around

Yeah like, I get they’ve got zero obligation to placate us.

But after some of the tradeweek thievery they’ve perpetrated in previous years, it probably wouldn’t have killed them to get this one squared away early so both clubs could focus on other deals.

Yeah like, I get they’ve got zero obligation to placate us.

But after some of the tradeweek thievery they’ve perpetrated in previous years, it probably wouldn’t have killed them to get this one squared away early so both clubs could focus on other deals.
It’s super petty in an age where player transfers are far more commonplace. In consecutive trade periods they have blockaded and then stifled a players request for trade.

I mean it’s definitely roller amirite…

No but after Geelong dicking around in last years and this years trade period, moniker aka nickname has to be: The Battered Sav!

LMAO at Geelong taking what may well be the last 2 picks in this draft.

YOU SHOWED US!!!! 🤣

Ridiculous they bothered, ridiculous we gave them the picks in the first place. What a monumental waste of time all around

You guys literally ended up doing the same thing in the end with Duursma.

I said on the main board that we looked like fools and happy for Mack to be moving on because he's definitely no Wells - but you guys did the same thing 2 hours later; so no-one is immune to this sort of behaviour, lol.

I said on the main board that we looked like fools and happy for Mack to be moving on because he's definitely no Wells - but you guys did the same thing 2 hours later; so no-one is immune to this sort of behaviour, lol.
The other 16 clubs were though.

Both of us embarrassed ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon always embarrass themselves, so tbh, one year does not make a career out of doing it like they have :tearsofjoy:
True but honestly I'd be starting to get a bit worried as Mackie is developing a reputation. Essendon have been stranded in the wilderness for years at least partly because of how difficult Dodoro has been to work with in trades. You have the list and culture to see more success in the now, but you don't want Mackie becoming a long-term liability in the same way.

True but honestly I'd be starting to get a bit worried as Mackie is developing a reputation. Essendon have been stranded in the wilderness for years at least partly because of how difficult Dodoro has been to work with in trades. You have the list and culture to see more success in the now, but you don't want Mackie becoming a long-term liability in the same way.

I think this is his last trade period being completely involved, so I'd say someone different will be actually handling negotiations next year.

It's also a little bit overblown how he's being 'difficult', as last year the Tanner Bruhn trade was done in 5 seconds for a first rounder. The only 'difficult' part was the Ollie Henry trade, and that was because we literally didn't know he was coming until after the GF - and had not planned for it at all. As a result, we valued him differently and didn't want to give up a 1st rounder, as we were happy to get him, but wanted to keep our Future 1st if we could (worked out very well that we did in the end).

At the end of the day, clubs value outgoing/incoming players differently, for a variety of different reasons. The way I saw this trade period - all BS aside -, is that Mackie had Scott and co. were saying they didn't want him to go cheaply, and we wanted to get as much as we could for him. Scott Lucas, Sav's manager, said this on the first day before trade period had really even gotten underway - that this wouldn't happen until the last day of trade period, as there was not much else for Geelong to do and they wanted maximum return.

In the end, we thought by holding out that we may get a better return than the initial offer. Cripps to his credit, chased Soldo and offloaded the Future 2nd that we probably were pushing for as a swap for our Future 3rd or something similar, and in effect stopped us being able to ask for anything else - as you couldn't trade other futures now, and had no picks left in the current draft. Once that happened, Mackie had to accept there was nothing else to give, and the original offer was all we were getting.

As annoying as it was, it makes sense from a business perspective. It didn't work out, but I thought it was good how he got the trade done a couple of hours before closing, fronted the media and said that 'we had to be realistic with what Port had left', and basically admitted that he 'lost' in a sense. Far cry from how Dodo dragged all his deals out until 7:30 and would not cede ground. Worked out for them in that case, but Dodo is not someone who ever can admit defeat - even when he does actually lose.

In any case, I'm glad it's all over and we move on. Love Sav as a person and I wish him all the best at his new club. There'll be no hard feelings all around, as he is a very loved played at our club, and unlike BZT or his manager, there was no discussion of 'walking to the draft' or 'having to get back at all costs' - he just wanted more opportunity and a fresh start.

Will leave it there as I've taken up enough of your board space/time, and best of luck for next season!

We gained possibly a couple hundred draft pick points for 2 F/S we have coming through next year. Louie Montgomery and Rome Burgoyne. I didn't realise you had F/S picks you were matching this year?

Even the pick we got back this year, which is of basically absolutely nothing, at least probably does mean that we aren't only having the last pick of the draft. It's miniscule, similar to yours, but not totally nothing.

The Geelong hold out on the other hand for pick 90 odd, which will either be the last or 2nd last pick in the draft, and the hold out for 76 which is likely to be the 3rd last pick is strange.

We've gained points, you guys basically gained zero.

Last edited:
Went and watched his highlights from early this year and I'm very impressed. Has a very quick first step for someone his height.

Kicking could use some work though

Draft calculator says Pick 76 and 94 is a combined 0 points.

I think our pick #73 and the thereafter gives us a grand total of around 8 pts. That has to be close to a record low for any club going into a Draft. I get more points when I buy a packet of potato chips with my Woolies Rewards card! :oops:

Holding out for nothing picks is f**king ridiculous, but we still over payed with that 25.
So whilst making himself look like a clown, he still got the overs.

Ratugolea was worth getting and at first glance pick#25 was slightly overs. Geelong took Esava at pick#43 in 2016 and he has notched up 75 games. He played 16 games in 2023 and was substituted off in 5 of his 16 games.

That said, Aliir Alir was picked up by the Swans at pick #44 in 2013 and only played 64 games in 5 seasons at the Swans. We traded Aiir in for a future second round pick. The Ratugolea and Aliir deals are remarkably similar so hopefully Esava turns out like Aliir and sticks it to Mackie and co.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back