Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratugolea was worth getting and at first glance pick#25 was slightly overs. Geelong took Esava at pick#43 in 2016 and he has notched up 75 games. He played 16 games in 2023 and was substituted off in 5 of his 16 games.

That said, Aliir Alir was picked up by the Swans at pick #44 in 2013 and only played 64 games in 5 seasons at the Swans. We traded Aiir in for a future second round pick. The Ratugolea and Aliir deals are remarkably similar so hopefully Esava turns out like Aliir and sticks it to Mackie and co.
Aliir played much better footy for Sydney than Esava ever played for Geelong. And he was contracted. And we got him a bit cheaper. There's no doubt that his deal was much better value at the time than the Esava deal, even without accounting for the improvement he showed with us afterwards.

That said, I wouldn't rule out Esava showing similar improvement in our colours. Of our four recruits he's the only one I can see having the potential to be a needle mover rather than just a solid B grader.

Aliir played much better footy for Sydney than Esava ever played for Geelong. And he was contracted. And we got him a bit cheaper. There's no doubt that his deal was much better value at the time than the Esava deal, even without accounting for the improvement he showed with us afterwards.

That said, I wouldn't rule out Esava showing similar improvement in our colours. Of our four recruits he's the only one I can see having the potential to be a needle mover rather than just a solid B grader.
I think Soldo is a very good acquisition.

I think Soldo is a very good acquisition.
I think Soldo is adequate (which is really all you need from a ruck) but I can't see him ever being elite. Ratugolea IMO has a lower floor than Soldo but a higher ceiling.

Can you tell me why?
A number of reasons. Very good tap ruck which is what our mids are crying out for, good shot on goal and a massive upgrade on what we have already. Also has a a bit of grit which will definitely make some of our players walk taller. And as mentioned by a number of Richmond supporters, rated more highly than Nankervis. However Richmond are not going to move on their Captain and in fact weā€™re not keen to move on Soldo.

I think Soldo is adequate (which is really all you need from a ruck) but I can't see him ever being elite. Ratugolea IMO has a lower floor than Soldo but a higher ceiling.
No I agree. Soldo will not be elite and I agree also that Rat has the potential to go to a another level. I also think that he had checked out of Geelong this year and as such did not perform as well as he ordinarily might have.

No I agree. Soldo will not be elite and I agree also that Rat has the potential to go to a another level. I also think that he had checked out of Geelong this year and as such did not perform as well as he ordinarily might have.

Of course Rat did take 8 marks against us at alphabet soup stadium just to remind us he could play.

Since our defence is now full of key defenders who intercept, I dub thee the Pursuit Special:

Been asking for two intercepting key defenders that can push forward since forever, in the same manner that you need your best kicks off half back (Houston, Farrell, Burton), so when the press pushes up they are naturally within range to take a shot at goal.

ā€œWhen do we go for a ride?ā€

I thought BZT was leading your improvement candidates mate? šŸ˜‚

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't that the schoolkid who gets his information from trade radio and Sam McClure's podcast? He would have no idea.

Havent been keeping track of this one much but have we considered calling him Roller because his last name starts with R?

Personally I am awaiting his number allocation so I can prefix it with the word 'Pure' to create his new nickname.

Personally I am awaiting his number allocation so I can prefix it with the word 'Pure' to create his new nickname.
Pure Roller sounds pretty cool, man

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back