Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Jack Lukosius

Remove this Banner Ad

Rory Atkins on Jack Lukosius

“That's right, you've seen what Jack can do on the field. He's got a booming kick, and probably will line up for goal anywhere within 60-65 metres. But other than the stuff on the field, he's a great character. He's going to get around the locker room with ease. And yeah, a ripper to be around. So he's going to fit in seamlessly.”

Not going to lie, kind of feel of Luko had nominated Crows, they would have gotten him without losing a first
Doubt it. They paid a future first for Dawson, pick 5 for Rankine, 28 for ANB, not to mention how badly they caved on Gibbs. Not suggesting the first rounders for Dawson or Rankine were over-paying, but crows have shown they're happy to part with early picks for players and don't want to risk haggling for too long.

Doubt it. They paid a future first for Dawson, pick 5 for Rankine, 28 for ANB, not to mention how badly they caved on Gibbs. Not suggesting the first rounders for Dawson or Rankine were over-paying, but crows have shown they're happy to part with early picks for players and don't want to risk haggling for too long.

:thumbsu: They would have thrown out their future first before you could blink.

Paying a F2 for Peatling shows exactly what they would have done

We traded Melbournes future first rounder (who had just won the flag) for Dawson. That pick end up being pick 18 which was a pretty big win for the Crows.

Dan Houston and our first rounder traded for pick 13 :

images

What would the split be on Lukosius as a forward & a defender at GC do you reckon? 60/40-ish?

I've noticed Todd has roughly double the amount of goals in his career from slightly less games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would the split be on Lukosius as a forward & a defender at GC do you reckon? 60/40-ish?

I've noticed Todd has roughly double the amount of goals in his career from slightly less games.
Someone will know better than myself but it looks like Jack started playing forward in 2022 and starts off slow. Then goes forward for the whole year in 2023 and does well. Drops back to the backline for the start of the 2024 season and then goes forward again.

2022 - 13 games for 8 goals
2023 - 22 games for 39, just under 2 a game, pretty good
2024 - 21 games for 23 goals. 1st 7 games or so seem to be in the backline.

Hopefully with some home cooking and partnering up with Mitch who was gunning it towards the end of the year, these guys can start to become a 1, 2 punch in the forward line.

Both are fast, mobile, good one on one, intelligent, excellent mark, not as good contested and very good kicks for goals.

Last edited:
Someone will know better than myself but it looks like Jack started playing forward in 2022 and starts off slow. Then goes forward for the whole year in 2023 and does well. Drops back to the backline for the start of the 2024 season and then goes forward again.

2022 - 13 games for 8 goals
2023 - 22 games for 39, just under 2 a game ,pretty good
2024 - 21 games for 23 goals. 1st 7 games or so seem to be in the backline.

Hopefully with some home cooking and partnering up with Mitch who was gunning it towards the end of the year, these guys can start to become a 1, 2 punch in the forward line.

Both are fast, mobile, good one on one, intelligent, excellent mark, not as good contested and very good kicks for goals.
Yea I think my ratio is out although I'd say Jack played a chunk forward early days at the Suns as well before he was shifted to defence. I could be wrong though my interest in watching GC games has been close to non existent.

Yea I think my ratio is out although I'd say Jack played a chunk forward early days at the Suns as well before he was shifted to defence. I could be wrong though my interest in watching GC games has been close to non existent.
Memory in that Jack played back most of his early time at suns, and he’s been played on the wing a bit as well.

He’s gone forward a bit more in recent seasons.

I don't know. I read the data.

If they both play well, we could have Mitch and Jack in the Top 10 goal kickers next year and I can't remember a time when we've had that in the AFL.

I don't know. I read the data.

If they both play well, we could have Mitch and Jack in the Top 10 goal kickers next year and I can't remember a time when we've had that in the AFL.

It is not easy to gauge Lukosius' ability as a key forward as he spent a fair percentage of his early career in defence. Jack has however booted 5 goals on four occasions over the past three seasons so he has the ability to score goals. His career tally of 79.72 does not suggest he is an accurate kick but as Rory Atkins suggests he is a long kick. Looking at his highlights reel the majority of Jack's goals seem to come from opportune gathers rather than contested marks or marks taken on a lead. He almost plays like a 195cm small forward. That might actually suit Hinkley's 'bomb it in high' game plan who knows?

In 69 games Mitch has kicked 109.79 while Jack booted his 79.72 in 116 games. If they are not in the top ten goal kickers they could be in the top ten scorers of behinds. :)

The YouTube video of the five goals Lukosius kicked at VFL level late in the year against Casey highlight the sort of forward he could be with us at his best. Mostly, leading to the short pass or working his opponent up the ground and then losing him on the way back to find space. Some beautiful passing inside forward 50 also. Coupled with Georgiades doing similar, it would make us look dangerous ahead of players like JHF, Butters, Farrell, Rioli and hopefully Lorenz who all kick the ball beautifully.

With Lukosius Georgiades and hopefully Marshall- Rioli, Richards, SPP and hopefully Hotton or Berry, we have the makings of a dynamic and mobile forward line. The best way to exploit that is quick (almost reckless) ball movement.

We also have a midfield, if given licence, who can deliver on that plan. The problem will be that teams will put numbers behind the ball to slow us down and reduce space. Ken’s counter tactic of kicking it to the monster forward and locking it in, won’t be playing to our strengths in 2025.

Spreading the defence will be the key. Having Lukosius work up the ground, switching play, corridor offence (more difficult without Houston) and a capacity to score from 50m+ will be the key but the major difference we should see is a forward line setting up by spreading across all of the F50- not having a pack form in one spot.

Get this right and we will become a 3 goal better side.

I really feel Luko is going to balance the team up quite well.

After the Lions loss midyear and Mitch become the number one banana, we played a tighter defensive game and during that run usually when Mitch finished with goals, we looked good. The loss against the Suns he didn't play.

Having two guy being able to finish off good midfield work will be good for the balance of the team.

Last edited:
The problem is having a coaching team that can structure us to take advantage of our forward assets. We could have MG and Luko as hard to stop players leading in to space, supported by a third tall whether that's Lord, Todd or Fin, and be really efficient.

But that will never happen if they are coached to just spoil each other in a stationary wrestling pack in order to "bring the ball to ground" for McEntee to run on to.

Rahilly or Hansen would make us a contender overnight with the gain of Luko.

The YouTube video of the five goals Lukosius kicked at VFL level late in the year against Casey highlight the sort of forward he could be with us at his best. Mostly, leading to the short pass or working his opponent up the ground and then losing him on the way back to find space. Some beautiful passing inside forward 50 also. Coupled with Georgiades doing similar, it would make us look dangerous ahead of players like JHF, Butters, Farrell, Rioli and hopefully Lorenz who all kick the ball beautifully.
His long kick will force defenders for go with him too creating some actual space inside 50.

Then again he'll probably be stationary inside 50 with one hand up.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Jack Lukosius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back