Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you find positives with anything?

Not really what he asked. Some people are glass half full, others half empty. We all agree tho - half a glass is half a glass.

Re his comments about the positives.....

I think at times he has gotten 110% out of the group based on the players he has had to play. The win against the Swans & Crows we had absolutely no right to win based on line-ups. Thought he did a great job of making the side really competitive against Carlton, Port, Saints, Dees, Cats, Bombers. Up to that point i thought he was tracking great.

But massive losses to Dockers, Dogs, Lions, Eagles were all really really poor, but somewhat expected, but still not accepted.

This season is all about seeing how people react when their "moment" comes up. If its Dow or Ryan having the good games when it feels like it matters, or other players like Cumbo on the weekend really underwhelming in a game where we all know he had a chance to shine - its a year of test & reviews.

This week was without doubt the biggest for the club for the Year. Dustys 300th. No bigger moment. It was a chance for Adem to show how Tigerish he is. Outside of his tracksuit, he just didn't feel like a Tiger in the presser & the performance on a big moment was more like something i'd expect back in the mid 2000's (ie jack dyer's death) that what we have been accustomed to. I feel like the moment was somewhat wasted on him, perhaps the moment gave him a bout of "imposters syndrome" - it was such a big moment in AFL history and he has barely known Dusty 5 minutes and is coaching it. I think that added to Dusty's rawness in the post game, it was almost shocking to see us go so bad in a big moment again. Its a shocking fall, hard for us all to take.

Adem in the presser just seemed sad and unsure. I think he needed to come across strong, speak articulately about Dusty's greatness. How the supporters honoured him beautifully, but unfortunately the players and the coaching group couldn't keep up with the standard. But we are a young group. we learn, we grow etc.

There was no feeling of celebration or hope in his presser, which is really what we all needed at that time. I'm being picky - but we really need to make sure we are 100% honest with this guy the whole way through. As i said, he was not a "passion hire" he was a "best available, SOS" hire. If a better option comes up, we need to really be sure this is the guy that can do what we need. I think the club should 100% still be seeking out information on who might be coming available, but also who they think the "next McRae" might be. It's no disrespect to Adem at all, but he has this job because the other guy left very unexpectedly. It was not our plan at all to be in this situation. The club can't just commit blindly to this guy because he interviewed great. And if an option comes up that we consider a elite coach, we have to do what is best for the club. The challenge is for Adem to take this chance and prove it. I want him to succeed, he seems like a nice guy. good values. etc.

Last edited:
Not enamoured with the start of his tenure but will reserve judgment until next year as the bloke’s walked into a complete sh1tshow. The playing group looks cooked post a dynasty, a year where the coach fk’s off halfway and now the CEO has checked out. Not to mention mass injuries and the toll of getting reamed by the umpires on a weekly basis and flipping Louie negatively gearing their fitness.

This off season is critical to freshen the place up and surround Yze with high quality staff starting with a top line CEO asap, some elite young talent and a reset of the remaining senior players who need to appreciate they’re not their to win another premiership but set up the next dynasty.
& get Emma Murray back…

Not enamoured with the start of his tenure but will reserve judgment until next year as the bloke’s walked into a complete sh1tshow. The playing group looks cooked post a dynasty, a year where the coach fk’s off halfway and now the CEO has checked out. Not to mention mass injuries and the toll of getting reamed by the umpires on a weekly basis and flipping Louie negatively gearing their fitness.

This off season is critical to freshen the place up and surround Yze with high quality staff starting with a top line CEO asap, some elite young talent and a reset of the remaining senior players who need to appreciate they’re not their to win another premiership but set up the next dynasty.
& get Emma Murray back…

Agree 100%.

When you look at the challenges he has, he would need to be a generational coach just to fix it. I'm just not sure if his coaching ceiling is that level. It's not a massive insult, but we are exceptionally rooted at the moment. We have lost all leadership either physically or mentally. Yze just needs to keep the ship from crashing long enough for the sea's to settle. If he can do that, i think he would have done his job, even if thats only a 2 year period.

It'll either go 1 of 2 ways for him. These challenges will either be the reason he fails, or the reason he becomes tougher, stronger leader, & succeeds. If " thick skin" & resolve are what he is lacking, then he sure is going to have the experiences to work on that. I think i really want to see a tougher side of him. I want to see him get pissed off & how he handles that differently to his current approach, if at all.

I firmly believe we are a club that needs a certain level of "prick" in our coach. Adem just seems too nice atm. I dont get angry or empowered by him, i just feel sorry for him when i hear him speak:tearsofjoy:

Answer question please as I’m interested in your opinion as you’ve entered the discussion?
To be honest when he came out and said he’s focused on “Coaching their hearts and not their heads”
I was a bit surprised and thought it was fluff and new age sensitive feelings stuff, but then thought about how Nicks started at Adelaide. He seemed really on the front foot, confident he was capable of finding solutions to overcome and improve, sang a good song so to speak.
Adelaide are rubbish and don’t look a committed group to me. I know that’s how we looked on Sat but he hasn’t reacted like it’s a problem that he doesn’t know what the answer is, he’s held his cool and backed the playing group.
Dow.. I think he’s told him he’s going to back him in regardless of how he goes and stick by him.
I would be easy to pick up a “shiny new toy” in Kmac2 and cut Dow but it looks to me like he’s kept his word regardless of the noise and Dow will see that and so will the other players.
I’ll call those two things positives from the players perspective.
He’s played a natural H/F flanker as a half forward flanker and I’ve seen a few times where I thought it was a focus to go around the boundary like the old Malthouse game style and use the flanker.
Hardwick never did that. May not be an obvious positive yet, Mitchell shut us down pretty easily on Sat and it looked like the ball carrier couldn’t find a player where he thought they would be. Too many times.

It would’ve been simple to cut senior players to make a statement about the future, I think the positive is he’s earning the players trust and although he hasn’t really copped a lot of heat from the media, he’s held his cool and not said it’s a problem that has to be fixed.
I like that.

Noway known Hawthorns 22 today is stronger than Richmond's. However Mitchell looks like an excellent coach. The way they move the ball and intercept is top notch.

They have as many youngsters as us.

Hawks had 1 x best-23 player out… Mitch Lewis. Out of our best-23 Richmond had Hopper, Ross, MRJ, Gibcus, Lefau, Prestia. Then there’s Pickett, Grimes, Clarke and Young. And a massively underdone Lynch.

Why anyone expects anything except inconsistent performances is beyond me. We’ve had 2 players play every game. Yze has had zero chance to get any continuity.

I’ll focus on the Bombers, Cats and Adelaide games where we played some quality football. Or the early season games when we had a few more troops, were playing some terrific footy and were pushing some quality teams like Sydney, Blues and Port.

I’ll judge Yze when he’s had another 12-months and at least a half decent run with availability.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

& get Emma Murray back…
& Burge

& get Emma Murray back…

Feel the same way mate in regards to walking into a shitshow. Alot of assistants didnt have the courage to take on the job and it was not an attractive job to take. Not alot of shiny new toys to start with. He will need this year to see if he can unearth some. Shouldn't bear the blame for the injuries and poor recruiting before he came to the place. There is not a coach out there that would be getting better results.

This year has been crap but it is not on him. Don't know whether he will be a good coach or not but we just cant know this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, reward the young blokes he cares about and get rid of the Hardwick-loyal rabble feathering their nest!
You mean the ones who put in the hard yards from 09 onwards.(You may know one of em as Dusty).

I think we forget that dimma struggled for 7 seasons and it took caracella to change the way he wanted to play

Not sure on Yze at the moment but it takes time to build meaningful relationships, as it took Dimma.

I think Yze is genuine in his care, the younger guys would appreciate this...the old guys would be loyal to Dimma, hard to shake that off.

He needs to find a way forward though and I think he will.
Struggled? Huh? The only struggle was performing in finals, other than that he performed extremely well and the improvement was constant other than the steps backwards to start 2014 and then 2016 which were reuired to retool out team and gameplan.

We started be getting rid of the old guys and started his first season 0-9 with wooden spoons bets being paid out on us by round 5 or 6. We then win 5/6 games with our only loss being to the Saints 38 points on their way to a grand final that year. Included wins against Swans (7-6) and Freo (10-4) who were pushing for top 4 and finished 5th and 6th.

It took about a third of the season to turn a team that couldn't get within 50 points of anyone else to one that was competeing with an beating genuine top 4 contenders.

From that 0-9 start we win 6/13 games to finish that year, then 8 the next year, then 10 and then 15 and just miss out on top 4. Weres the struggle? I think most of us would be quite happy if this team imrpoved at that same rate.

What are these shit signs that you see ?
Game plan.. especially from kick outs
There is no way the game plan is to take max time to only chip it to the right pocket, to waste another 20 seconds then bomb down line every single time

Uses the sub way too late..
Hated the way Kaleb Smith was treated
Missed the chance to play Sonsie in the middle
Pressers are the same shit week in week out
We know he’s proud of the players ffs

Just to name a few

Balme still speaks at pre game functions when the team played in Qld. this year.

The club seems a ****ing joke tbh

I am pretty positive i didn't imagine he was moved on early from the club either & him doing an interview for "The Age" basically reflecting on his time at the club etc :tearsofjoy:

Honestly, what was all that about then if he is still at the club acting like a staff member? People alluded to that he was getting senile due to health & old age, maybe he forgot they sacked him and he just keeps coming in like normal & the club was just like "sigh", **** it, just let him stay until the end of the year :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back