Toast Welcome to the Brisbane Lions, Charlie Cameron!

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting thing is his RL background. You'll probably notice it and appreciate it more in Brisbane. I can see him becoming a more genuine living breathing example of a convert than Hunt and Folau.

Considering where in the obscurity Adelaide seemingly picked up Keath and Greenwood from, I can see Brisbane recruiters haunting the junior rugby fields in search of potential new local recruits.

Hope he has a great future up there.

Interesting thing is his RL background. You'll probably notice it and appreciate it more in Brisbane. I can see him becoming a more genuine living breathing example of a convert than Hunt and Folau.

Considering where in the obscurity Adelaide seemingly picked up Keath and Greenwood from, I can see Brisbane recruiters haunting the junior rugby fields in search of potential new local recruits.

Hope he has a great future up there.

The league background is one reason I was always happy with pick 12 - be is behind age in development opportunity so I think there is still heaps of improvement to come in tactical and game play areas. So excited to get him. Feel for you but you have plenty left to work with and I think he is a major in for us.

I never realised Charlie had a league background.

Could be a very handy ambassador for the academy program in a few years time if he was keen. I know the Broncos/Titans/Cowboys all send players to meet with the young guns in the junior league ranks so maybe having Charlie there to talk to young kids on the fence about making the switch could be handy.

I was a bit worried about Charlie's kicking although it was from a small sample size as I didn't watch a heap of him this year but when you look at some of the highlight packages there are a significant amount of elite lace out kicking in there, get a bit more consistency with his kicking and we have one of the competitions best running outside mid/wing types who can rest forward and be exceptionally dangerous with pressure and crumbing goals.

After initially being pissed off with us using that pick 12 on him I am now totally at ease with our decision, he is much more of a chance of being an elite player (already part way there) than a speculative pick 12.

Really sad to see him go, but he wasn't performing his best for Adelaide. Will be much better for Brisbane.

He's a confidence player who is really, really hard on himself. In the second half of 2017 he clearly didn't have his head on right. Going to watch a lot of games live I'd keep an eye out for him and see him punch the ground behind play and yell at himself. If this started early in the game he would invariably miss a few kicks at goal trying too hard to appease himself and then really get shitty at himself. There had clearly been some issues there from early/mid 2017 so to see him stand up in finals despite all that shit (and even perform admireably prior to finals) shows that although he's a self-depreciating negative nancy sometimes, he never gives up even when his game is in the shitter.

I forsee great things at the Lions. When he plays happy his kicks are great.

Crows will seriously miss him this year. We don't have anyone else who can tackle like him in open space; I don't think any team does.

Speed, pressure and a bit of skill is the new trend and Cameron has it all.

We'll all watch the highlights and get excited about what he can offer us offensively, however, his true value will be his defensive work imo through his defensive pressure and his ferocious tackling ability.

Seems like a real solid citizen, and was part of our academy, I am more than happy we didn't wait another year.

Charlie Cameron wanted Brisbane move to be closer to his community

Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail
October 20, 2017 6:00pm

CHARLIE Cameron is one of a kind.

The 23-year-old is the only person from the Gulf of Carpentaria to ever make it onto an AFL list – Sudan and the US have produced more players.

Cameron comes from a small settlement of 200 people on Mornington Island, the northernmost of the 22 Wellesley Islands inside the Gulf.

Lions officials were stunned during their interview process when he asked about what assistance they could provide him in finding community work in the Gulf and also if there was a role for him within their academy.

PROMISING FORWARD: WHY DOGS TOOK A PUNT ON SCHACHE

GARY BUCKENARA: SORRY PIES, HAWKS IN BOX SEAT FOR LYNCH

TRADE ANALYSIS: GARY BUCKENARA RATES YOUR CLUB

Although far north Queensland is Suns recruiting territory, the Lions are happy to second Cameron to the AFLQ to work in their programs.

“I am from a remote community at Mornington Island and I want to be closer to there,’’ Cameron said.

“I feel I can do something up there, contribute in some way, I wouldn’t mind doing stuff with young kids and being a role model.

“The Lions have a couple of quiet indigenous kids in their academy and I am also looking to get involved there and help where I can.’’

ece2f68a302bcf9406e50c1b1f27c4a3

Charlie Cameron has left Adelaide for Brisbabne. Picture: Getty Images
Cameron is like the fish that wriggled off the hook but ended up jumping into the boat.

The newest Lion went to school in Brisbane on a rugby scholarship at Marist Brothers Ashgrove.

He played Australian Rules for a term and immediately impressed Lions scouts who invited him into their academy as a 16-year-old.

But when the school footy season ended he drifted out of the academy and back into serous rugby.

That all changed when his father got a mining job in North West Western Australia and packed the family up and moved across the country.

With no rugby to play at Newman he wandered down to the local footy cub and it wasn’t long before scouts from WAFL side Swan Districts spotted him.

Given he was a later starter he was overlooked in his draft year but the Crows took a punt on him in the rookie draft of 2014.

b32e55bd3e333fcf4725b40aa1dfb8a5

Charlie Cameron signing autographs for Crows fans after their Grand Final loss. Picture: AAP
He was one of their better players in the Grand Final loss to Richmond but now, via Newman, Perth and Adelaide, he is back in Brisbane.

However, he may be the only Queenslander on the Lions’ list who would struggle to name anyone beyond Simon Black and Jonathon Brown from the great Brisbane premiership era.

“I didn’t really play footy at a younger age, I was a rugby fan,’’ he said.

“I didn’t really watch AFL back in the day so I don’t know too many of the great old players yet.’’

However, he is up to speed on the current crop.

He said he could see the nucleus of future success with developing key position players Eric Hipwood and Harris Andrews and midfielders Hugh McCluggage and established stars Dayne Beams and Dayne Zorko in their prime.

We have dayne beams working with disabled kids afl, mitch robbo with out of the locker room (mental health in all levels of afl) and now this from Charlie.

Come to the Brisbane lions and we will facilitate your involvement with causes close to your heart.

Makes me proud.

Wow, very impressive. Sounds very different to the "lost little indigenous boy at massive risk of going off the rails without Eddie Betts holding his hand" that some Crows posters tried to portray him as.

An emerging young leader of his community keen to use his platform for good. Outstanding.

As an aside, my mum dated a guy for a while whose job it was to inspect/maintain fire fighting equipment in government buildings in remote communities.

We went with him on a charter plane out of My Isa to Mornington Island while he did his thing at the hospitals/medical facilities there.

Quite an eye opener. Quite beautiful but not a lot of economic or social opportunities there for the indigenous kids. Having an ambassador and role model in Charlie could be huge for them. Great that he wants to get his hands dirty and make an impact.

Fagan and Noble have made it clear that character is just as much a factor as ability. Can understand why they would have been reluctant to risk leaving Charlie on the shelf for a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Shache needs to have a read, get involved and help out those who struggle a bit and you might not have had time to miss home. Luke Power was my favorite with this sort of stuff.
Kudos Charles.

Josh Shache needs to have a read, get involved and help out those who struggle a bit and you might not have had time to miss home. Luke Power was my favorite with this sort of stuff.
Kudos Charles.

Luke was sensational with kids, especially the sick and disabled

A genuinely good human being.

Luke was sensational with kids, especially the sick and disabled

A genuinely good human being.
And he never sought recognition for it. Can't count the number of times that he went to see a mates kid who had suffered brain damage following illness.

And he never sought recognition for it. Can't count the number of times that he went to see a mates kid who had suffered brain damage following illness.
He was amazing with cancer kids and their families too .
Gorgeous young man Luke x

Toast Welcome to the Brisbane Lions, Charlie Cameron!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back