Welcome to the Bulldogs Ryley "Colonel" Sanders

Remove this Banner Ad

Stoked to get a young midfielder with bags of potential.

Harmes, Coffield, Sanders, Croft, some more draft picks + good coaches/board hires. I’m happy with the off-season.

I ******* can’t wait for the season to start.
Yes awesome off season. Some interesting tension in the background that if harnessed correctly it will bear fruit. But so many great characters brought into the club.
All except the bloody 1980’s still trying to drag this club down. We obviously need to own what happened to a degree, it wasn’t the club that committed this evil but in the end we own what we are guilty of. But this is a better club than the 1980’s version, that I still have wonderful memories of. We are relevant and professional and always a chance of competing. Bring on 2024!

Months out from the draft I fell into the idea of Nick Watson to add some craft to the forward line but super impressed with this guy and think it fills much more of a need for our list going forward.

We already have Cody and Charlie Clarke was a recent high pick too in that antagonising fp role, how was his first year in the system?

He can't keep the smile off his face. Of note, we now have four Indigenous players at the club, a hell of a step up from 2020.
Didn’t know that, fantastic and we have really come a long way! Respectfully, does anyone know his indigenous lineage?

Not as good as Libba at hitting a target but he's good at putting it to the right spots and doesn't overcook his kicks.
one thing I noticed is he actually kicks to space a fair bit and makes the receiving player run to the right spot.
He seems the type to put it to his forward's advantage and trust him to win. Great if you have good forwards. Better than just kicking the shit out of it and it being intercepted.

Regarding the Tasi risk: he is a Launceston boy. The Tasi club will be based in Hobart, close to a 3-hour drive from Launi. Sanders in Melbourne would be able to easily catch up with family/friends via a quick flight.
I don't think the location itself is the drawcard for him to return. More that he'll be a prime target due to his upbringing to throw obscene $$ at in 4 years to try and attract some marquee players.

As mentioned earlier, he's already been in Melbourne for 2 years living away from family. He would be entirely settled here already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarman’s right foot cost is 2 flags - Darren was definitely right footed

Yep you’re right. Although sitting in the stands in 98 it was McLeod and Robran that tore us up that day. We were punished. 97 was all jarman in the last quarter and some numpty goal
Umpire up the other end.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As if he is going to come out and say anything different though to be fair.
"Yeah, appreciate the Dogs calling out my name but can't wait to get back to Tassie in a few years and be part of that historic period for my home state."
Still, you want him saying the right things. He'd be well aware of the fans' FRN* in relation to any interstate recruit but especially Tassy kids right now.

In fact I hope his manager has warned him that he'll get constant media questions on this during the next few years and it could become a big distraction if he doesn't make some definitive statements to settle the fans and the media very early on.

*Flight Risk Neurosis

Last edited:
As if he is going to come out and say anything different though to be fair.
"Yeah, appreciate the Dogs calling out my name but can't wait to get back to Tassie in a few years and be part of that historic period for my home state."
True, but there are degrees of strength. He could've said something like "happy to be called out by the Dogs. Will give my all for the club over the next 3 years, then see where things stand."

Good looking for a Tasmanian, I guess! 😆

Joking of course. Adds to our long line of Tasmanians:
MacPherson bros
Atkins
Mansfield
Davies
Hudson
Cook
Minton-Connell
Bartlett
Wiggins
Jones
Gardner
McGowan
Harrison
Street
Etc

(We won't speak of our 2010 Brisbane recruit.)

Not as good as Libba at hitting a target but he's good at putting it to the right spots and doesn't overcook his kicks.
Serious question. Who's better in the game at spotting a player in congestion and hitting them lace out by foot?

Everybody bangs on about his work in close, but for mine Libba's kicking is on another level again.

Anyways...Ryley Sanders and all that. Good.

Last edited:
I love his output, 35 touches a game at the champs, 30 touches a game at Coates. He just racks up the ball, sometimes we overcomplicate drafting a bit I think - great size, good athletic attributes, good skills - hand, foot & marking. And racks up the footy? He’s probably gonna perform at AFL level too isn’t he - but we look at him as vanilla cos maybe he doesn’t have a ridiculous vertical leap that he may or
May not ever learn to use in a game…

I think with his attributes and attitude his upside is a little bit higher than we’ve given him credit for on here - I’m very keen to get this guy into the side early next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Bulldogs Ryley "Colonel" Sanders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back