Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont's skillset is large and elite in almost every facet, but the one thing he has which I've never seen another player come close to is his ability to control and move a loose contested ball to his advantage.

Imagine if 3rd man up was still allowed, he'd be even further ahead of the pack as a player.

As always we might just not quite have won enough games for him this year, and he wasn’t a standout in a few wins, but I hope this is the year he gets a few “how the f did he poll in that one” games like Neale did last year and wins it.

It’s like the Oscars. Sometimes I think the umps just understand it’s a player’s time.

As always we might just not quite have won enough games for him this year, and he wasn’t a standout in a few wins, but I hope this is the year he gets a few “how the f did he poll in that one” games like Neale did last year and wins it.

It’s like the Oscars. Sometimes I think the umps just understand it’s a player’s time.
If they had any decency or self-respect they'd know what to do.

I don't think he has a chance this year with Neale, Cripps & Daicos floating around. They just simply have more games where they poll in and less teammates to take votes. Bont usually only polls in 10-12 games but his best is much better than the rest. If you look at the AFL brownlow predictor, you can the number of expected games.

Cripps - 15 (7 3's)
Daicos - 13 (8 3's)
Neale - 14 (7 3's)
Bont - 11 (5 3's)

It's not a perfect system but they'd have to get it remarkably wrong for him to even have a sniff.

From this angle there is shades of his 2016 hair.
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

LONG HAIR BONT IS RETURNING PEOPLE!
Off to the erotic fiction thread I go

Bont not polling as well actually bodes well for the Bulldogs moving forward. IMO, too much has been asked of him over the past few years and if he didn't fire, the Dogs would inevitably lose. This year, others have evened out the load and it's made for a more competitive team.

Carlton are facing the same issue with Cripps. If he has even just an average game, the Blues can't win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont not polling as well actually bodes well for the Bulldogs moving forward. IMO, too much has been asked of him over the past few years and if he didn't fire, the Dogs would inevitably lose. This year, others have evened out the load and it's made for a more competitive team.

Carlton are facing the same issue with Cripps. If he has even just an average game, the Blues can't win.
100%. Like others have mentioned if we ever make the top 4 and finish the season strong Bont will pick up the 1 and 2 vote games where he probably didn't have the ultimate impact but the umpires will reward him because he is the Bont.

Maybe they should have an ‘honorary’ Brownlow award like they do for the Oscars.

They can give it to someone who gets towards the end of their career and inexplicably hasn’t won one. Kind of a ‘how the feck have we not recognised your talent and impact over the years’ kind of an award. They can give one to Bont, Matthews and Carey. Maybe Whitten, posthumously.

I don't think he has a chance this year with Neale, Cripps & Daicos floating around. They just simply have more games where they poll in and less teammates to take votes. Bont usually only polls in 10-12 games but his best is much better than the rest. If you look at the AFL brownlow predictor, you can the number of expected games.

Cripps - 15 (7 3's)
Daicos - 13 (8 3's)
Neale - 14 (7 3's)
Bont - 11 (5 3's)

It's not a perfect system but they'd have to get it remarkably wrong for him to even have a sniff.
I can't speak for the other players, but surely there are more than 5 BOG games for Bont this year? In the 2nd quarter of the season he went ballistic

Maybe they should have an ‘honorary’ Brownlow award like they do for the Oscars.

They can give it to someone who gets towards the end of their career and inexplicably hasn’t won one. Kind of a ‘how the feck have we not recognised your talent and impact over the years’ kind of an award. They can give one to Bont, Matthews and Carey. Maybe Whitten, posthumously.

CHRISTOPHER *ING GRANT

I don't actually think early career Bont (with a slightly different play style) even gets the credit he deserves even if he's unanimously recognised as the best player of the 2020's decade so far by some margin.

Consider that he was already ranked about the 5th best player in the league at the end of 2016: https://www.afl.com.au/news/145052/afl-players-top-50-the-bonts-five-best-finals-moments

But even as a 2nd year player he was already considered by some stats as one of the best players in the league:

I some ways I don't think he's playing significantly better footy that he has for his whole career. He is, obviously, but not significantly so - simply that he was always this elite, just never getting the recognition.

All of this will lead to, when his career is done and he'll get all the accolades, I'm not sure it'll quite capture just how valuable he was as a footballer, because it has proven to be even more than what people already think.

Ironically enough because he's never actually won the thing, but Bontempelli historically overperforms the trackers/predictors every year.

Most of the public trackers have him on about 24-26 votes or below about 5 other players.

But he remains 4th favourite for exactly that reason, because he has always overperformed.

The winner will probably get 32 or 33 votes or similar, and Bont will still overperform to the trackers/predictors and get high 20's or even 30 or 31, and finish third or fourth, but not win.

He still had the consistently best year of any player in the league. I think the AFL industry can simultaneously have the vagaries of the voting system for tradition's sake and weird interest and we can all agree that Bont had the best home and away season of any player without controversy. If Bont gets 22 or 28 or 31 votes, it doesn't change that knowledge we all have or our chance of winning the flag this year.

Most of the public trackers have him on about 24-26 votes or below about 5 other players.

Now it's down to business and what the 4 in yellow award through the year. Would lol if they give Daicos 3 votes for the game v Collingwood at Marvel. Then you would know the whole thing is scripted

Above everything else the Bont makes you feel proud your a doggies supporter.

He may or may not win a Brownlow but already will be recognised as a great of the AFL and the greatest of Bulldogs.

6 time all Australian already, 3 time MVP, some of the highest brownlow votes not to win.

He is a true Bullgod. Humble, a premiership player often forgotten in the Norm Smith conversation with 20 possessions at 100 % effective. A great leader who now has others stepping up with him.

As doggies supporters we have been privileged to date to watch his career. We hope he does get the recognition of a brownlow medallist.

However, I could be wrong but I believe he would prefer multiple captain of apremiership sides.

We are dangerous this season but our true peak kicks in next year onwards with great players re committing.

Enjoy the ride on the Bont train, but hang on tight it is about to get really exciting

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Brownlow rarely recognizes the best player of that year. Franklin never won one despite being the most dominant player along with Ablett for a few years. It just recognizes who has had the most impact for their team across 22 games.

It favors players who have no one to steal votes of them, which favors players like Neale, Cripps and Daicos, as they don't have any other "big named" mids to steal the lime light. Where players like Butters, Gulden, Bontempelli, have other big names around them.

And given the amount of wtf moments? Where Neale got 3 votes for a nothing 20 possession game, shows name bias by the umpires. Where some players get votes simply because of their name. And heaps other games where someone dominates and gets zero votes. Seen heaps of 40 possession, or games with loads of goals go unrecognised. In the past years, the Umpires used to give votes out to rucks, forwards and defenders all the time. It seems modern day umpires have tunnel vision and no longer are able to judge impact outside of the midfield. And treat it more like Supercoach, where 30 disposals is more important than a defender keeping his opponent to zero goals.

In short, the Brownlow has lost its relevancy years ago. I doubt the Bont will give a damn about it though. He has the ulitmate medal already, the Premiership. Where many Brownlow medalists wouldn't know what one looks like. Sadly I don't think he will win it this year. As he and the team, had a slow start, then he was quiet in the final 3 games, where his rivals for the medal likely polled votes. I rather see him win a second Premiership medal.

Any argument for the Brownlow being the best award should end when you see Ablett only won two. He should’ve won at least 6 or 7.

All clearly the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back