News Wellingham traded to Eagles for pick 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Worsfold says we need to add pace to the midfield

2) We specifically target Beef in trade

3) We use our first-round draft pick to secure Beef

Conclusion: Wellingham will be given every opportunity to play midfield.

It's catching on. :thumbsu:

read my post again.
Think Gunnar had you pretty much spot on.

Sheppard was in the selected 22 until he got injured late in the year and was improving rapidly. Newman was a first year player who was inconsistent at WAFL level yet still got opportunities.

Pretty sure the sky isn't falling for these guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are seriously underrating Wellingham. I would try and defend him but it is pointless to explain to his haters so i will just let him prove his worth next year.

Yeah sure and he better prove his bloody worth and it better be his best season yet.

Pathways? We're not running an apprenticeship scheme.

How about we pick them when they've earned a spot?
Exactly. Gaff, Darling, Shuey, Naitanui were able to do it. Gaff went back to the WAFL a few times in his first season, tore it up and got back in. Plenty of our other players have taken until their third or forth season to get a regular go, LeCras is one. Kennedy played a fair bit of WAFL when he first came to us as well.

He is not worth pick 17. We got a bad deal out of this

Pick 17 is not some super pick.

Wellingham has shown in the limited opportunities (having a full game in the midfield) that he is a very good player. Some of his games without Pendlebury/Swan have been outstanding. Many seem to think that there is no room for improvement from him because he is 24 but with more opportunity he has the ability to take his game to another level.

He adds speed to our midfield rotation and the ability to play in a number of roles. We desperately need midfielders so his value to us again increases. Similar to how WC are handling Brown, his value is increased again by how much the team needed a player like him.

The trade was fair for both sides.

Exactly. Gaff, Darling, Shuey, Naitanui were able to do it. Gaff went back to the WAFL a few times in his first season, tore it up and got back in. Plenty of our other players have taken until their third or forth season to get a regular go, LeCras is one. Kennedy played a fair bit of WAFL when he first came to us as well.

I think even Chris Judd played WAFL.

I don't subscribe to the notion that in our premiership window, we should give young kids a go just for the sake of giving them a go. If they want a spot, they should earn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back