were is bower at???

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 18, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
i know he is coming back from injury but hasn't been on the list for weeks. he played well for the ants last week and named as an emergency this week. he is our 2nd best defender and we are only playing one tall. does anyone have any idea why he is out of the side??

He continues to experience tightness in his quads after each game. It was recurring quad injuries that ruined his season last year and he still can't shake the lingering effects. The club aren't willing to risk him until it's sorted out.

It's good we are looking after him, no need to rush him, lets take our time with him and make sure this time around. We have the depth to cover him, better to be safe than sorry.

After what happened last year, I would imagine that they are taking absolutely no risks with his recovery and return to senior football.

It was a massive shame last year to see a bloke who can play deliver such poor performances. He was clearly not ready, and I'm certain the mental aspects of playing badly exacerbated the slump.

I have no problems whatsoever with a 'softly softly' approach in PB's case. Looking forward to when he further strengthens our already much improved back six.

Goneski ... Enjoy your vacation Bower he'll get at least 1 week for that reckless charge. Aside from that he has been woeful for the Bullants, Ratten is justified not playing him,badly out of form

Totally agree.

To go with his report, he has been terrible in the first half. Just doesn't look interested!

Should get off. Was commited to the contest and couldnt avoid contact. Thornton will be sighted for a hit in the first qaurter.... might get off due to lack of vision.

Made no attempt at contesting the ball. His goose is cooked for this one I am afraid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like he will always be fighting soft tissue injurys ..so i wouldn't be counting on him to strenghten our backline ....sadly we will need to look elsewhere ...in saying that O'Keefe looks like a likely prospect.

I can't see Bower hanging on with Watson, McCarthy, McInnes, Tuohy and even O'keeffe in the seconds.

Plus White and Laidler in the firsts.

Bower shouldn't have been outmarked by the VFL version of Monfries.

Totally agree with you General. :eek:

Bower struggles in one on one contests, if Simon White can continue with the form he showed against the Dons it will be hard to drop him, Laidler has also been a positive across half back.

Goneski ... Enjoy your vacation Bower he'll get at least 1 week for that reckless charge. Aside from that he has been woeful for the Bullants, Ratten is justified not playing him,badly out of form

When are guys like Bower and Waite going to mature into leaders of the club...? It's a serious question and needs to be answered if we are going to push for a Premiership in the next 1-5 years. Waite was very lucky earlier in the year not to get done for such a stupid act and after watching Bower's charge this afternoon, I wonder why we rate him so highly - shouldn't we be expecting more from a 5 year player who is meant to be a keystone of our defence. His attack on the football was one of the sloppiest things I have seen this year and would have been laughable if I wasn't a Carlton fan. Obviously, he is out of form and is frustrated but he's not helping his cause by being suspended.

If Carlton is to improve, they need guys like Waite and Bower to grow up and start leading. As shown last week, when Waite has his head screwed on, he is very hard to stop. However, when he is frustrated and down, he's a totally different player and normally lashes out.

When are these guys going to grow up?

Maybe we need the Lord Of Biomechanics to refine Bower's gait from headless chook to human.

Don't know if that's contributing to his leg problems.

:confused:

I'm a fan, but Bower might go the way of Thornton who was a fixture in our 22, but failed to keep pace with the improvement of our list. We hoped he would become a tall defender, but that was probably more out of need, than what he could do on power KPF.

Maybe we need the Lord Of Biomechanics to refine Bower's gait from headless chook to human.

Don't know if that's contributing to his leg problems.

:confused:

I'm a fan, but Bower might go the way of Thornton who was a fixture in our 22, but failed to keep pace with the improvement of our list. We hoped he would become a tall defender, but that was probably more out of need, than what he could do on power KPF.

Bower has always been a third tall for me, but has been played as a KPD because of need. We had high hopes for Harts and Aussie but they always seemed to be injured or just plain out of form.

I think that he has over developed his bulk to try and become the KPD we were missing and especially over the last 12 months, this has seen these quad injuries occurring more and more.

From my experience with bodybuilding and weight training, when you put on bulk, you are encouraging minor tears in the muscles to force them to grow to repair them and consequently grow more muscle fibres to compensate. Some sportsmen, especially those who dont have massive thighs already, who try to overbuild their muscles to add extra bulk tend to suffer a lot of muscle tears and strains due to the overwork.

It could be that he has to lay off doing the super sized leg weights to try and bulk up and just concentrate on getting things sorted out so that he doesnt suffer these tears any more.

I think that the club is going to be looking at fast tracking Watson this year which means that Bower can drop back to being the third tall in our defence and by extension can lose some of the bulk he has added over the past 12-18 months trying to become a KPD.

Seeing a biomechanic to try and sort out his running style isnt going to help him out at all because I dont think that it is his running that is causing the injuries (well it may be... combined with the over exercise in the quads).

I think that the club is doing the right thing in trying to let him recover 100%, but someone needs to look at his exercise routines.

bummer he got reported, it was a stupid brainfart, but Bower is good at that, he doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the pack. I was looking forward to him returning and bulking up our defense but it seems he's not up to it yet.

Very much at the crossroads IMO. Reported and injured yesterday, and as the TG said, others look like they are going to go past him.

Really does need to play the role of the 3rd tall down back, but 2011 looks like it's going to go the same way as 2010 - injury prone, and sadly out of form.

Remove this Banner Ad

were is bower at???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back