Opinion We're On The Right Path

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we talking about up to 25 players need to be gone after 7 years we should be fine tuning the squad not making wholesale changes

We won't be making wholesale changes. Whether they're right or wrong, I'm not sure yet but the coaches etc definitely rate the list

Another veiled sack the coach post. :huh:

The bloke I feel sorry for most at Tigerland is Someoneelse.
Poor ol' Someoneelse has copped the brunt of the disaster that has been the RFC for all but a few brief patches since '82.
And in the absence of being able to critically analyse the coach, board, CEO or any players bar the usual suspects of Hunt, Morris, Grigg, Houli and Batchelor, the predicament we are in falls to being the fault of Someoneelse.
I hope when we finally break free the mire and return from the abyss, that Hardwick or whoever is our next premiership coach, stands on the premiership dais and removes his medal - a-la Luke Beveridge - and puts it around the neck of Someoneelse.

The bloke I feel sorry for most at Tigerland is Someoneelse.
Poor ol' Someoneelse has copped the brunt of the disaster that has been the RFC for all but a few brief patches since '82.
And in the absence of being able to critically analyse the coach, board, CEO or any players bar the usual suspects of Hunt, Morris, Grigg, Houli and Batchelor, the predicament we are in falls to being the fault of Someoneelse.
I hope when we finally break free the mire and return from the abyss, that Hardwick or whoever is our next premiership coach, stands on the premiership dais and removes his medal - a-la Luke Beveridge - and puts it around the neck of Someoneelse.

From here on in instead of the words, dud assistants, at tigerland they will be called Mellors ;)

So trade period has ended and quite a bit of a transformation has happened to the list and the make up of the side. Firstly Deledio has moved on and he is an out and out champion of the club, but after 12 years and 243 games it was time that both club and player had a fresh start and looked to new challenges. Then there was Vickery being moved on, after a frustrating 2016 season there was no way that he could have stuck around regardless what Hardwick said about him being required. For mine that was nothing more than double talk to convince the Hawks(and the AFL) that he was worth the offer than he got.

Then there is the additions in Prestia Caddy and Nankervis. 3 possible best 22 additions come across which is a fantastic effort considering our starting point for trade week was 6 42 60 78 & 96. Without going into the finer details the end result of trades was:

Out - Deledio Vickery 6 46 64(moved after compo picks) 2017 R2
In - Prestia Caddy Nankervis 27 56 2017 R1 (Geelong) 2017 R3 (GWS)

So not only have we brought in those 3 ready made players, we've also got ourselves a reasonable first pick in a deep draft and a much improved draft position for 2017 with 2 x R1 picks and 2 x R3 picks. We also kept Lennon who IMO has potential to still be a solid player if he pulls his finger out and re-signed Conca who after a couple of years of injury troubles is basically like picking up a free agent as is Yarran if he gets himself right too.

So what does that mean line up wise. Well some would have seen the side I posted in the best 22 for round 1 side and after thinking about it, that isn't the side I'd like to see us play next year. How I want to see us line up is as follows.

B: Short Astbury Grimes
HB: Houli Rance Vlastuin
C: B.Ellis Cotchin McIntosh
HF: Martin Riewoldt Lennon
F: Rioli Griffiths Lloyd
R: Nankervis Caddy Prestia
INT: Conca Markov C.Ellis Menadue

Basically I want to see us become a lot more mobile as a team, with a FB CHB Ruck CHF & FF as the spine a couple of 3rd tall options 1 forward & 1 back, then surround them with midfielders/flankers. The Dogs have shown that you don't need a heap of tall options on the field, you can get away with having just the 5 and then relying on your ball winners to win more of the ball than the opposition and your outside runners to run harder than the opposition. When we don't have the ball, there needs to be the ability to put constant pressure on the opposition, not just corralling either, I want to see actual tackling coming back as well, Caddy Prestia and Nankervis will help with that.

Looking at that side I expect to see a few where is Grigg Edwards Miles and why are Lennon and Conca being played. Well to save some time I'll answer that now. As I've stated a few times now I believe this season was about rejuvenating the list. When the season was shot we turned to the kids and got some game time into them and developed them. What we saw from that was a couple of guys in Short and Markov both show they belong so they keep their spots. The 3 new additions should be played as well so people need to make way and Grigg Edwards and Miles are the ones who miss out basically because Caddy and Prestia are better than those 3 and a young kid like Corey Ellis needs to play.

But what about Conca and Lennon getting games. Well both have had injury troubles over the last season or 2, but both have talent IMO and on the proviso that both put in the hard yards over preseason and are fit and firing should be rewarded with an opportunity to prove themselves. With Deledio moving on there is a spot as a 3rd marking forward option, which I see Lennon being perfect for. With Conca, I liked what I saw from him at the start of the year in the back line. He was starting to look comfortable as a rebounding defender, the bonus being that Conca is also very accountable having played run with roles in the past. With the ball in hand his ability to get through traffic and make the right decision will be valuable coming out of D50 as well.

So that's my post trade assessment of how we're progressing down the path I hope will take us to flag number 11.

#inb4tl;dr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So trade period has ended and quite a bit of a transformation has happened to the list and the make up of the side. Firstly Deledio has moved on and he is an out and out champion of the club, but after 12 years and 243 games it was time that both club and player had a fresh start and looked to new challenges. Then there was Vickery being moved on, after a frustrating 2016 season there was no way that he could have stuck around regardless what Hardwick said about him being required. For mine that was nothing more than double talk to convince the Hawks(and the AFL) that he was worth the offer than he got.

Then there is the additions in Prestia Caddy and Nankervis. 3 possible best 22 additions come across which is a fantastic effort considering our starting point for trade week was 6 42 60 78 & 96. Without going into the finer details the end result of trades was:

Out - Deledio Vickery 6 46 64(moved after compo picks) 2017 R2
In - Prestia Caddy Nankervis 27 56 2017 R1 (Geelong) 2017 R3 (GWS)

So not only have we brought in those 3 ready made players, we've also got ourselves a reasonable first pick in a deep draft and a much improved draft position for 2017 with 2 x R1 picks and 2 x R3 picks. We also kept Lennon who IMO has potential to still be a solid player if he pulls his finger out and re-signed Conca who after a couple of years of injury troubles is basically like picking up a free agent as is Yarran if he gets himself right too.

So does that mean line up wise. Well some would have seen the side I posted in the best 22 for round 1 side and after thinking about it, that isn't the side I'd like to see us play next year. How I want to see us line up is as follows.

B: Short Astbury Grimes
HB: Houli Rance Vlastuin
C: B.Ellis Cotchin McIntosh
HF: Martin Riewoldt Lennon
F: Rioli Griffiths Lloyd
R: Nankervis Caddy Prestia
INT: Conca Markov C.Ellis Menadue

Basically I want to see us become a lot more mobile as a team, with a FB CHB Ruck CHF & FF as the spine a couple of 3rd tall options 1 forward & 1 back, then surround them with midfielders/flankers. The Dogs have shown that you don't need a heap of tall options on the field, you can get away with having just the 5 and then relying on your ball winners to win more of the ball than the opposition and your outside runners to run harder than the opposition. When we don't have the ball, there needs to be the ability to put constant pressure on the opposition, not just corralling either, I want to see actual tackling coming back as well, Caddy Prestia and Nankervis will help with that.

Looking at that side I expect to see a few where is Grigg Edwards Miles and why are Lennon and Conca being played. Well to save some time I'll answer that now. As I've stated a few times now I believe this season was about rejuvenating the list. When the season was shot we turned to the kids and got some game time into them and developed them. What we saw from that was a couple of guys in Short and Markov both show they belong so they keep their spots. The 3 new additions should be played as well so people need to make way and Grigg Edwards and Miles are the ones who miss out basically because Caddy and Prestia are better than those 3 and a young kid like Corey Ellis needs to play.

But what about Conca and Lennon getting games. Well both have had injury troubles over the last season or 2, but both have talent IMO and on the proviso that both put in the hard yards over preseason and are fit and firing should be rewarded with an opportunity to prove themselves. With Deledio moving on there is a spot as a 3rd marking forward option, which I see Lennon being perfect for. With Conca, I liked what I saw from him at the start of the year in the back line. He was starting to look comfortable as a rebounding defender, the bonus being that Conca is also very accountable having played run with roles in the past. With the ball in hand his ability to get through traffic and make the right decision will be valuable coming out of D50 as well.

So that's my post trade assessment of how we're progressing down the path I hope will take us to flag number 11.

#inb4tl;dr
Best 22 I e seen so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion We're On The Right Path

Remove this Banner Ad

Back