West Coast Offseason 2013 - We Want Yeo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Colin Sylvia comes in for Matt Deboer.

Is that an upgrade? I'd say so, another big bodied half forward with a goal sense who will taught the importance of forward pressure whilst also giving Freo another forward threat, Deboer is a stopper.

It makes sense.

Ellis makes absolutely no sense and is an indicative of a recruiting division that is stale and frankly, incompetent.

I've explained the reasoning behind the recruitment of Ellis. He's a foil for Hurn. It's not our most pressing issue, but it's one issue we've had the last couple of years. Plus he's cheap and cost us nothing except a list spot that will come at the expense of either Morton or Newman.

If he can stay fit he'll be an asset. If not, we've lost nothing.

If you want to talk about moves that make no sense, was replacing DeBoer a desperate need for 2014? As opposed to getting a key forward or getting some backup for an ageing McPharlin? And then to replace him with Sylvia? At least DeBoer will give you 100% effort each week, Sylvia will only put in when he feels like it.

Barrett on Trade Radio bagging WCE for the deal with Collingwood. Like our deal with GWS, the fu##wit can't grasp the fact that the add-ons to the deal (pick 27/Yeo) are a major ingredient. Constantly harping on that trading pick 6 for 11 is mind boggling. At least Wallace understands the 2 for 1 side of it, but he's worried that Sheed will get picked up before 11.

The costs nothing argument is absolutely flawed.

Acquiring a player should be assessed by what they can bring to the table, not the fact that it is cheap.

If you think Sylvia gets a free ride at Freo, you're kidding yourself and deliberately being obtuse.

Sylvia brings with him a big body, goal sense and foot skills into a forward line that Deboer just doesn't have.

Fremantle need to score more, Sylvia helps. It makes sense.

Swing in a Gumbleton and draft a half decent tall and dots start to join up.

Ellis ----> doing a favour for the new coach and makes no sense.

Barrett on Trade Radio bagging WCE for the deal with Collingwood. Like our deal with GWS, the fu##wit can't grasp the fact that the add-ons to the deal (pick 27/Yeo) are a major ingredient. Constantly harping on that trading pick 6 for 11 is mind boggling. At least Wallace understands the 2 for 1 side of it, but he's worried that Sheed will get picked up before 11.

has he asked Wallace to tell him 'how to feel about this deal' yet?

You've bought in Ellis to play on a half back flank to take pressure off Hurn?

What sound thinking.

Here I was thinking your midfield is abjectly poor, yet the half back flank is the first point of concern.

Exactly what I'm talking about, if that's the reasoning it's just woeful.

Maybe Ash Smith and Jacob Brennan could step up and cop some if the heat...

LOL

Freo need Key Position players over the last few years (probably cost them a GF this yeat), instead recruit a couple of softish front runners like Pearce and now Sylvia.

What sound thinking

I'd say inaccurate kicking at goal probably cost the flag, but by all means attempt to take the focus your side for one which just made it to the big dance.

West Coast has a terrible midfield. To improve that situation they bought in an injury prone, one paced mid to apparently play as a back flanker.

Devoid of any strategy or purpose.

- Morton
- Cripps
- Ellis
- Wellingham
- Dick

I just don't follow what the club is trying to achieve.

West need only to break even in the midfield to take advantage of their forward power, yet they do nothing to bolster this line?

Burns going will help though.

West Coast has a terrible midfield. To improve that situation they bought in an injury prone, one paced mid to apparently play as a back flanker.

The Ellis move has nothing to do with bolstering the midfield. That's like me saying "Fremantle have no key forwards to help Pav. To improve that situation they brought in a downhill-skiing, big-bodied mid to apparently play as a forward flanker". They're separate issues.

We've done a great job in convincing everyone that we want Dom "Red Herring" Sheed.

Meanwhile Blake Acres slides on through to 11 and we are laughing all the way to the bank.

Acres is the player you should be targeting as he's the big bodied mid that you desperately need. I can see him going top 10 and Sheed making it to WC at 11. Sure, you get a replacement for Kerr, but you are still lacking some size in there.

The Ellis move has nothing to do with bolstering the midfield. That's like me saying "Fremantle have no key forwards to help Pav. To improve that situation they brought in a downhill-skiing, big-bodied mid to apparently play as a forward flanker". They're separate issues.
Pav's central thesis appears correct, however his choice of evidence is poor.

WC drafted Stevens and Ebert to play as big bodied mids, then developed them poorly and lost them for very little.

WC have burnt a heck of a lot of second round picks. They also seem keen on just throwing away picks (mostly in the RD) on recycled, injury prone players unlikely to ever get a consistent game (e.g. Bedford, Dalziell, JON, Dick, Morton and Bennell).

In fact WC have largely wasted their rookie draft picks altogether. Either via rapid de-listing, or wasting away for a year or two on the main list post premature promotions.

This is kind of disastrous taking into account the fluffed first/second round picks and the fact they rarely go late into the draft.

For a club as wealthy as WC, the constant drafting/list management blunders and failure to develop draftees is pretty inexplicable. There is the money to hire the best staff possible for every department, but the club seems insular, conservative and stubborn in these areas to the point of self destructiveness.

So Ellis played as a half back flanker at Hawthorn?
Towards the end he played off the HBF, as much as through midfield.

It's low risk, but still odd. My guess, part of the reasoning is that he will perform a strong mentoring role. Spent a lot of time injured and with the Hawthorn coaching group. Knows the Hawthorn gameplan, team ethos, has a great attitude and a strong relationship with Simpson, so a good guy to help reinforce and convey Simpson's message when trying to promote the values and gameplay elements that worked well at Hawthorn, to the WC playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Towards the end he played off the HBF, as much as through midfield.

It's low risk, but still odd. My guess, part of the reasoning is that he will perform a strong mentoring role. Spent a lot of time injured and with the Hawthorn coaching group. Knows the Hawthorn gameplan, team ethos, has a great attitude and a strong relationship with Simpson, so a good guy to help reinforce and convey Simpson's message when trying to promote the values and gameplay elements that worked well at Hawthorn, to the WC playing group.

Sign him as a development coach.

He's got a one year contract because their is no faith in his body, he's said he'll retire if he gets injured again.

You've just denied a young player a chance to get on a list and develop.

Dumb.

Colin Sylvia comes in for Matt Deboer.

Is that an upgrade? I'd say so, another big bodied half forward with a goal sense who will taught the importance of forward pressure whilst also giving Freo another forward threat, Deboer is a stopper.

It makes sense.

Ellis makes absolutely no sense and is an indicative of a recruiting division that is stale and frankly, incompetent.

Yep, that's right, you did well to beat off all the other clubs clamouring for his signature ... Oh

Your club had better appoint him a minder and keep him on a tight leash!

Sign him as a development coach.

He's got a one year contract because their is no faith in his body, he's said he'll retire if he gets injured again.

You've just denied a young player a chance to get on a list and develop.

Dumb.

Yeah because Gumbleton is a premiership forward who never misses a game.

All I got out of that interview was that we know Wallace actually watched the nationals.
I don't know how WC could confidently bank on Sheed going at 11.

I think WC are probably just thinking as good a player that would've been there at 6 - will still be there at 11, they probably rate the top 15 fairly even.

It's still a poor trade, because Yeo isn't worth 27.
So WC made a meal of it.

I'm more worried about him mistaking Brad Sheppard as one of the finer sex and thinking its heading is a football.

mind_blown.gif

All I got out of that interview was that we know Wallace actually watched the nationals.
I don't know how WC could confidently bank on Sheed going at 11.

I think WC are probably just thinking as good a player that would've been there at 6 - will still be there at 11, they probably rate the top 15 fairly even.

It's still a poor trade, because Yeo isn't worth 27.
So WC made a meal of it.

You don't think Yeo is worth pick 27?

In effect, what the Eagles have done (assuming the Yeo trade goes as expected), is lose five places on two picks (6>11, 44>49) and gain Yeo.

If they are of the opinion that the player they are targeting at pick 6 will survive to pick 11, than yes that would be a win.

So I suppose we don't really know.

Eagles will be happy to land Sheed or Acres one or both will be available at 11.

They downgrade pick 44 to 49, a pick they most likely won't use and gain another 2nd round pick to land Yeo.

With that extra 2nd round pick traded for Yeo they may land Cripps or another player who has slid out of the first round, pick 28 is a mid second round pick that we didn't want to hand to the Lions for Yeo.

What's there not to like about that?

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Offseason 2013 - We Want Yeo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back