2nds West Coast WAFL (part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's pretty funy that Wilson has been pigeon holed as a FF.

He's more than capable of playing in a KP down back.

The area he has over Hansen is his hands, they are first class and as others have mentioned he marks with hands extended.

He's also capable of taking a contested mark as seen on the weekend against quality opponents, one a current AFL list, one formerly.

What he has over Brown is intangible, he knows when to lead, he knows where to lead, I also think he has this attribute over Lynch.

Something you cant measure but the areas he leads to generate convertable opportunities.

EH, you're dead wrong on his pace off the mark, it's more than passable at AFL level. If Lynch and Hansen can find a step he can find two.

Dead wrong about his height, 192cm too small? Pull the other one.

Now without jerking him off, he does have some pitfuls.

One, his turning circle isnt flash, on the lead he can change direction well enough, get him to turn around and it's a little slower.

Also, he cant handball, and by that it looks awkward and rarely hits the target flush, more of a vicinity pass than direct action :D

By in large the positives far out weigh the negatives.

He's also stupidly strong. IMO very similar player to Brad Smith. Unfortunately for him injury cut him down but he was given a shot at 26, Wilson has been tagged much earlier.

West Coast would be fools not to give him a crack at some stage.

At 21, a player on target to kick another 70+ goals at WAFL level is going to be looked at.

a reasonable summary from what i have seen of Wilson.

Wilson has had very good form at SF this season , the only chance for Wilson this season is after Round 11 promotion ! Stevenson and Hams are also in line but . Wilson should at least be promoted at season end or West Coast will lose Wilson for Sqidley Did ! ( nothing )

I agree when he was playing FF at the end of last year he looked good(we were winning games too in a dark year).

Pods was delisted by 2 other AFL clubs before he was drafted by the cats he was recognized but didnt show it for a long time.

A better way for me to have put it would've been to say that the two clubs who did previously draft him didn't show enough persistence with him. That's unfortunate for them because Pods is now proving his worth with the cats. I'm happy for him that he's finally proved his former clubs wrong.
If we let Wilson go we'll be making a similar blunder. It'll come back to bite us on the arse down the track.

Wilson, at the age of 21, he's just coming into bloom as a KPP. If we let him go, someone else will reap the benefits of the 3 years of development the WCE have put into him.

Interesting discussion on Wilson.

I could list a heap of lead & mark FF's who have been great at WAFL level and haven't been able to take the next step.

Why is Wilson different? He isn't overly big (which is a combination of strength and size) and he has poor lateral mobility (IMO). He won't be much use at ground level and he doesn't scream out contested mark, so he has to be a lead & mark guy. In an era of flooding or zoning or whatever, are limited one position guys part of the plan?

I get that there will always be a place for the Halls & the Fevs and I get the podsiadly argument, but pods plays in one of the best sides in history, with delivery from an amazing midfield group. Podsiadly also has better mobility at ground level.

I understand the crab like nature of the alternatives but I am unsure how much more Wilson adds than, say, a Chad Jones type. Nothing at ground level and no contested markability at the next level. Not sure he is a priority.

He shown some aptitude for the role last year.

No he didn't. He played in two winning games with little impact against Essendon and No impact against the Bulldogs (where he was a major burden).

Like i said, give him another run at AFL level. I don't expect much from him and he hasn't done anything to justify elevation at the end of the season.

Delist, Re Rookied or Elevate. He will get another shot. But im inclined to think he wont want to be re drafted via the Rookie Draft. It's a matter of how much he wan't to be on our list and i don't think he will earn an elevation at the end of this year.

Funny eh? The Dockers WAFL Players thread has also been hijacked by discussion of who should and shouldn't be in the team. It's degenerated into a bit more sledging than this thread, so far, but it's only a matter of time!:D

Howz Notte travelling over the last few weeks? early days but seems to me like he is on track for a few more goals this season like he is having more of an impact forward?

Havent seen too much of him though..

No he didn't. He played in two winning games with little impact against Essendon and No impact against the Bulldogs (where he was a major burden).

Like i said, give him another run at AFL level. I don't expect much from him and he hasn't done anything to justify elevation at the end of the season.

Delist, Re Rookied or Elevate. He will get another shot. But im inclined to think he wont want to be re drafted via the Rookie Draft. It's a matter of how much he wan't to be on our list and i don't think he will earn an elevation at the end of this year.

Wilson when in form is the best leading foward we have.

E87 he can take a contested mark and has a good jump on him, can crash a pack to.

His turning circle isn't great though, but is good at picking up half volleys.

I wouldn't be suprised if GC show some interest in him.

Wilson when in form is the best leading foward we have.

E87 he can take a contested mark and has a good jump on him, can crash a pack to.

His turning circle isn't great though, but is good at picking up half volleys.

I wouldn't be suprised if GC show some interest in him.

Define "contested mark"?....

From what I've seen, the Chad Jones comparison is a really good one (and one I have used in the past ;)). You do have to question what he would add that Hansen doesn't.

The ability to mark with his arms outstretched and not just on the chest? Wilson can play as a key defender if needed as well.

Plus the major deciding factor, he's not a ranga

From what I've seen, the Chad Jones comparison is a really good one (and one I have used in the past ;)). You do have to question what he would add that Hansen doesn't.

Wilson adds better contested and 1 out marking due to being a beast, marking with his arms out in front, a more reliable kick on goal, ablility to kick goals from outside 50. These things Hansen doesn't have.

Lynch and Hansen aren't young anymore and won't be back ups for much longer. Why would we now decide to ditch our future depth. Despite Wilson's limitations, he'll kick goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilson is a beast that is for sure , kicked more goals and a better player then young gun Jack Darling this year ( I know you cant compare 18 yr old -- 21 yr old ) . Darling seems to have dropped somewhat , wonder if West Coast have Darling in there drafting plan still .

Um, yeah he did. He did enough for a guy playing his first couple of AFL games. He kicked a few goals, that's a reasonable expectation from a new player.

He continues to kick plenty of goals at WAFL level, and unlike Hansen or Lynch who are near the end of their careers, Wilson provides more than either of them and is only a 21 year old who's development is incomplete.

In the coming years, are the only two realistic FF we'll have be Brown and Notte. That's not depth. Considering how big the whole squad list is, we can afford to have greater depth than that.

I know nothing about Wilson apart from what I have read on Bigfooty (alas I missed his games last year because I was overseas.) From what I have read the 'for' case for him is looking quite strong. The fact that he is 21 and seems to be kicking goals works well for him.

At the end of the day the Eagles saw something in him that they liked and rookie listed him. I guess the question is; has he addressed the areas of development that the club would have given him enough to warrant a prolonged shot in the AFL?

I would be very suprised if Darling makes the top 3, more like 5 to 10 range.

Yep and likewise with Bennell. Wait till after the carnival to see what cream rises to the top.

Here's the write up done on the WAFL board:

Well, winter is well and truly upon us, just as the ante is about to be upped in the WAFL. Some big games this week and none bigger than the first.

Swans v Falcons - after being given a belting in round 1, what will the Swans mood be like? They have since worked their way into second spot, by percentage, but WP are now hanging tenuously in the 4. A loss here and a probable Sharks victory will see them leapfrog the Falcons.

Swans come into this game on the back of some fighting victories over Claremont and East Perth and a spanking of Peel, so confidence should be high. Hansen has been on fire, if his hip problem is OK then he's hard to stop. Notte has been working into some good form forward and provides a dangerous double pronged attack, whilst Geappen hasn't reached the dizzying performances of last year. That's probably because A Krakouer has stepped in and stepped up and Thomas Roach has been sensational. Twomey is gradually finding his best form and Ames has been the general down back with whoever ably supporting him. Roberts and Spaanders have been super in the middle, with young Garlett showing a lot of promise and Walters, Hinkley and Davis providing the occasional brilliance but consistent, solid support coming from these guys.

The Falcons have shown a great team chemistry and have dangerous players in LeCras, Tsalikis, Darling (when on song), Bewick/s, Andrews, Strijk and a solid defense with Lasscock, Hunt, Gobbels, Tedesco et al. Young Bewick has developed, van Berlo is a quality WAFL footballer when around, Guadagnin, Rice, Pearce, Crosslands are all solid contributors. Andrews rucked brilliantly against Spaanders last time and this will be a critical contest again. Should be a cracking match.
Swannies, just at home.

Tigers v Thunder - it was 100+ last time and it may well be again, but despite this there is a lot of young talent between the two teams.

The tiges have probably the best running brigade and depth in the business this year. Brabazon, Blackwell and Foster represented the state but there were a number of unlucky tiger cubs. Kane Mitchell continues to impress and is now a no nonsense, tough as nails, gut running HBF or mid. I remember watching him in the reserves final at the Arena a couple of years ago, after Swans come from behind win, and thought he might make something of himself then. Another revelation this season has been Ninyette, quick, agile, deadly. Then there is a host of AFL rookie listed players, like Weedon and Broome, waiting for their chance. There's the experience of the captain, Rudeforth, plus Walton, C Jones, Ruck, Franz, Derrickx etc, so a pretty good all round team. Will Wilkes remain out and will this even up the contest?

The thunder continue, rightly, to put their faith in youth. They have highly rated juniors like H Bennell, Butcher, Wilson and then others like M Brown, Luff, Mason who could have been drafted last year. These guys are all boys being asked to do a man's job, sometimes they look good (beating WP) and others they look ordinary. Battye, O'Brien and other more experienced players back and playing well only benefits the team, so which Peel will turn up to Claremont Oval on Saturday?
Tigers by a margin.

Royals v Sowfs - the other critical match of the round, this will possibly kill off one of the teams chances of finals action, should the Royals lose.

The Royals promised so much, have barely fired a shot and now must win this to remain in touch. They should come out firing and will, whether it's enough will depend on the peripheral players like the Noakes, Sweet, who has had an outstanding year to date, Sampey, Shepheard, Roberton, Wirra, if he suits up. The Royals have not been let down by their old stagers, Cowell, Pickering and Wulff, they have been fantastic when I have seen them. They need a lift from the other group.

Souths have been close in a number of games this year, like the Royals, but not got home in many of late. Can McGrath, Graham, Murphy, Wilson, Phillips, T Bairstow really rally the rest of the team and get them fired up? At the same time, some exciting young talent like Gugliamana, Carter, Collica have been blooded and performed well. This should be a fiery and entertaining clash.
Bulldogs, by a doggies drool!

Sharks v Demons - after a few days of rain, Shark park really will be a tough place for the Demons to visit and try to prise their first win.

The sharks are seeming to get a stable AFL player base, along with a number of talented youngsters. Dodd, Spangher, Brown, Bucovacz seem destined to play more footy for the Sharks than up the next level, this year at least. Kyanga is developing, as is Fasolo jnr, Brennan and others and if Riley Dunn gets and stays fit, they are a handfull for all other teams.

The demons are still winless, despite having what I consider a reasonable team, on paper. Armstrong, Moody, Thornton, Young, Cook, Ferguson is a good base to start. Throw in Mzungu, Billings, Bollenhagen, A Smith and there's a pretty solid core of experience, youth and talent. They will surprise a few teams before the year is out, but will it be the Sharks this week? Unlikely.
Sharks, comfortably.

Forecast is fine for Saturday, so enjoy your day at the WAFL and barrack hard for your team.

Swannies.:):thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back