West Coast WAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
every club wants a CHF with that ability ... commentators were comparing to Carey likeness and droolling over him .

Gold Coast would have been there and booked him on the Gold Coast express which is containing many WA kids :confused:

Darling had better games last season when he was only 86 Kilos, Goldcoast havn't expressed the same desire to take Darling because of his height and lateral movement.

If he doesn't go top three then he will go quickly because he will forge a strong career playing at any club. Potentially as a great of the game.

Harley Bennell totally chopped up for Peel today and he will go top three.

Hey E87, Wilkes kicked 5 today, shoe in for FF IMO ;)

Ted, Darling is 190cm.

Never said bigger blokes should play against people there own size, however, you've got to take his efforts with a grain of salt, especially at Colt level.

He has the body of a man and was able to push aside skinny 16 and 17 year olds for marks one out, he wont be able to do that at AFL level.

He runs on train tracks, great if the delivery is top notch, too easy to exploit when the ball hits the deck.

Havent you noticed sides playing a smaller more agile opponents on the likes of Hansen and Lynch, if the ball isnt delivered lace out, oppositions focus their rebound through these two.

Darling maybe big and strong now, awesome, but if he cant move well from side to side he becomes a liability.

He's also 190cm is case you hadnt realised. :thumbsu:

Lulz.
that's an apt description.
Only saw third quarter due to kids tv :)rolleyes:), but he does not impose himself.
Garlett's been good.

He didn't have a chance to impose in the third.

He had a spell on the bench then went forward and the ball barely made it down there. When it did, they pissfarted around on the HF line for 30 minutes allowing WP to get back.

I thought he was OK. Very few Swans, if any, had a good game.

His opponents barely got a sniff whilst he opposed them. Whilst he didn't provide much rebound - he was at least solid defensively. That's pretty valuable when you're playing at CHB and your team is being pounded.

Greg Harding seemed happy enough with his performance.

WAFL Stats:

Lewis Stevenson
20 kicks - 6 handpasses - 26 Disposals - 7 marks - 1 tackle - 6 i50 - 2 Goals

Tom Swift
9 Kicks - 17 handpasses - 26 Disposals - 5 Marks - 4 Tackles - 2 i50's

Koby Stevens
22 Disposals and a Goal (no breakdown).

I like those numbers Think we will get lucky and debut Stevens and Shuey along side Swift against Brisbane?
For anyone at the Claremont game, how damaging was Swift? 17 handballs and just the 2 i50's are the sort of stats you can rack up picking up cheap handballs through the midfield.

Ashton Hams named in best for SF .... but this in todays West Australian

" Rookie - listed teammates Hams and Jarrod Oakley- Nichols were involved in a minor scuffle during the third term as tempers briefly flared "

Sounds like competition amongst Rookie -listed players is going well :D

Pretty sure the west got it wrong again it was Kyle.

For anyone at the Claremont game, how damaging was Swift? 17 handballs and just the 2 i50's are the sort of stats you can rack up picking up cheap handballs through the midfield.

Swift doesn't get allot of ball forward of centre and has always been best at creating oppotunities for those around him. ie: i wouldn't mind if he gave the ball off to Stevenson 17 times.

We would need other stats like first disposals, first effective disposals, contested pocessions, hard ball gets.

Gerrick Weedon stats. 15 touches, 3 marks, 5 tackles 3 inside50 and a goal.

Played ressies and I suspect would have had very limited tog. Anyone watch him play? Of all our new recruits i'm most keen on GW, a genuine forward that can play small (tackling, crumbing) and tall a la Josh Hill.

Looking forward to seeing him.

Harley was terrific today his kicking was a feature.

He has this quick cruising speed, then has this other gear he can use of one or two steps to breakaway very exciting.

Was matched up on Fyfe early and Fyfe took some marks on him, but Harley burnt him the other way.(Fyfe needs to remember his defensive side)

Johnny Bennell was good also but Peel had 5 points in the first quarter with the wind and they should of all been goals.All the goals where kicked at the end with the wind.

Tom Swift played in the middle and wing was quite even though he racked up some good possesions in the end needed the run.

Playing a inside role, I doubt we would pick him for Brisbane on that game, like i said needed the run.

Lewis Stevenson was great, we have all heard about his kicking it was sublime today right or left foot, man he can pinpoint a pass.

Kicked 2 goals set up about 4 others, played HBF and even CHB for a little while in the last.
He is starting to realise he now has a big body, and is starting to use it shrugged some tackles, broke through packs was just classy.

Beau Wilkes played foward was good but had incredibly good service.

James Thompson he will be drafted again this year, as a fullback he looked really good down back is a much better player now and a bigger body.

Now to the Claremont reserves, Lewis Broome played and so did Gerrick Weedon.

Lewis was quite and spent alot of time on the bench, helped set up a couple of goals with some very quick hands though.

Gerrick Weedon was only allowed to play 70 minutes, phil narkle who sat next to me walked over to peel at 3 quarter time to let them know he could only play ten minutes in the last.

Now for some context, Phil Narkle said to me Gerrick is the most underdone player on WCE list as he has missed more preseason training than anyone.

He is already built like a tank, and he was the most impressive player that played at the ground today, that includes colts, reserves and league.

Played foward flank and was good very clean and is very good defensively, second half they moved him into the middle.

He was incredibly impressive, was a clearance king conitnually got the ball out of the centre, he has beautiful hands and uses his body well.

I was so impressed by his centre square work much better than his foward play, he did some similar stuff in the colts GF last year when they chucked him in the centre, and today re-inforced that to me.

He will no doubt start out in the foward line, but would love him in the centre down the track, he will play a full game next week probaly in the reserves again.

Cant wait to see him in the league side.

OH one the colts name to remember Devin McFarlane very good kid.

If anyone thinks Tom Swift is a inside mid see todays game. Hes a winger you dinks. Didnt look like winning a clearance today but made up for it with his run and ability to find the ball on the outside of packs ie. a winger

Stevenson is great by foot, good in the air but hes too slow and dumb to make it as far as he could with the talent he has

Wilkes kicked 5 but so would of Clive Waterhouse today. Peel are simply deplorable. They clearly are not a professional side. The fitness levels are scaringly bad. Half way through the 2nd qtr they had players cramping up. I feel sorry for the Eagle listed players playing with this lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone thinks Tom Swift is a inside mid see todays game. Hes a winger you dinks. Didnt look like winning a clearance today but made up for it with his run and ability to find the ball on the outside of packs ie. a winger

Stevenson is great by foot, good in the air but hes too slow and dumb to make it as far as he could with the talent he has

Wilkes kicked 5 but so would of Clive Waterhouse today. Peel are simply deplorable. They clearly are not a professional side. The fitness levels are scaringly bad. Half way through the 2nd qtr they had players cramping up. I feel sorry for the Eagle listed players playing with this lot

Of all the crap you've posted this would be the worst.

Swifts a centreman and plays his best football from this position. Ive got no problem with coming of the centre square as hard as possible and developing his outside game into something more attacking though.

You only need look at his average tackle count too see his defensive mindset. He hunts the ball and anyone who dare take posession from the opposing side, he might be under different directions or it might simply be him playing down the order considering the number of mature midfielders Claremont had lined up.

Windback the clock 12 months big cox. Swift had 9 hard ball gets in his second WAFL game with 25 disposals. Sounds like a wingman to me.

Ask Tom Swift what his prefered position is and it will be in and under packs.

Went to the Perth v EF game today, not sure who else has reported on it, but these are my thoughts.

Dalziell was very good today, perhaps the slower tempo allowed him more time to dispose today, but he was very good by hand and foot today, ran very hard and found plenty of ball.

Stevens went 100% all day, kicked a goal and was good without being great. Played out of the centre for the most part and across the HFF later in the game. Got plenty of hard ball and did alot of good clearance work but got caught a few times.

Sheppard started off a little slowly playing on Ash Smith across the HB flank. Got better as the game went on and his disposal was generally very clean. Apparently got smashed by Cook late in the game but I missed it.

Ash Smith started off slowly across the HFF, really didn't have much of a clue. Looks very lazy and doesn't run nearly hard enough. He was moved into the backline and improved in the second half and did some really nice things. Needs to work much harder!

That is all.

the Claremont game was interesting . Not very accurate reports. Swift Started forward but it was not till he got in the middle that time after time he cleared the ball. The ditzes commenting did not know who got the ball to Blackwll time after time. senstional 2nd half . Also was outside when not under. Loved Wilkes up forward. Stevenson had great game.

WAFL Stats:

Lewis Stevenson
20 kicks - 6 handpasses - 26 Disposals - 7 marks - 1 tackle - 6 i50 - 2 Goals

Tom Swift
9 Kicks - 17 handpasses - 26 Disposals - 5 Marks - 4 Tackles - 2 i50's

Koby Stevens
22 Disposals and a Goal (no breakdown).

I like those numbers Think we will get lucky and debut Stevens and Shuey along side Swift against Brisbane?
It was a 2nd half from Swift like the Richmond match .Unfortunately the camera did not grab it . I was excited Stevenson looked like an afl player.

No need for name calling but I agree.

Swift reads the play well, he knows where to place himself and while he works well in congestion, his best footy will come on the wing.

Tommy is taller than Embers and players over 190cms aren't suited in and under.

Cheers to everyone that posted their thoughts on here after watching the games...............greatly appreciated fellas. :thumbsu:

Swift reads the play well, he knows where to place himself and while he works well in congestion, his best footy will come on the wing.

Cheers to everyone that posted their thoughts on here after watching the games...............greatly appreciated fellas. :thumbsu:

In and under was where he was time after time. I beg to differ you are wrong not a winger.

LOL @ Big Cox.

It is clear as day Swift's contested work is his strength.

31% of his posessions last year were contested which is very much above average for an AFL midfielder. From rounds 18-22 he was 4th at the club in contested posessions and clearances and 2nd in tackles. But yeh, dump him on the wing :rolleyes:

Completely disagree on Swift. IMO his main strength is his clean inside ability to win the ball and then break through the pack.

I agree Fox think he is great in and under.

Got smashed in a tackle in the last still on his knee's he got a lovely handball away.

Got better as the game wore on, but like I said was breathing heavily hands on his hips.

He looked like he needed the run.

In and under was where he was time after time. I beg to differ you are wrong not a winger.
Easy pickings at WAFL level don't maketh the man.

In and under against Ablett, Swan, Kirk etc is a little more testing. Any AFL winger should be able to win the footy in close with the slower pace of WAFL. In fact I would expect any HFF or HBF type would also win centre clearances at WAFL level if they are truly going to make the grade at AFL.

It is one of the first comments new players make when playing their first AFL match........."the pace of the game caught me out at first" or "the game is much faster".

I hope Tommy is a gun mid and he no doubt will be, but I think it wont be as an "in and under" type.
I repeat though he does work well in congestion.

Your welcome to a different opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back