Western Bulldogs BigFooty Consensus Best 22 - finalised!

Which four players make up the interchange of our "best 22"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wallis, Suckling, Dunkley and McLean

Dunkley was my pick, he was a solid finals player for us in every game kicking goals and playing his part. Wallis is overall better but on recent performance it would be tough to leave Dunkley out.

Good lord, our team is embarrassingly rich in talent. If we cant get another flag out of this group something is wrong...

Actually on that - why don't we vote for emergencies too? Be interesting to see who is rated next in line. Dannnnnnnnnn ?
Emergencies are more than likely needs based rather than next in line
you could have a back up Ruck a Mid/Fwd and a Mid/Def so something
like Campbell, Jong and Williams of course fitness and form will play a
part too. Or Campbell, McLean and Williams just to keep MD happy.

Emergencies are more than likely needs based rather than next in line
you could have a back up Ruck a Mid/Fwd and a Mid/Def so something
like Campbell, Jong and Williams of course fitness and form will play a
part too. Or Campbell, McLean and Williams just to keep MD happy.
Yeah did consider that but it'd still be relevant, just like you pick defenders in defence you pick for some balanced cover in your emergencies. But we'd be assuming no injuries/niggles too so I'm pretty sure it'd still largely be the next best rated four. But yeah perhaps slightly favouring talls and versatile types

Whoops, my bad.

The interchange of our best 22 includes Liam Picken (84 votes), Caleb Daniel (80), Shane Biggs (67) and Mitch Wallis (36).

Missing out were Josh Dunkley (32), Toby McLean (21), Zaine Cordy (13), Matt Suckling (11), Lin Jong (9), Fletcher Roberts (6) and Bailey Williams (4).

Final Lineup
FB: Dale Morris (102 votes) - Marcus Adams (92) - Matthew Boyd (86)
HB: Jason Johannisen (94) - Easton Wood (104) - Robert Murphy (81)
C: Lachie Hunter (75) - Marcus Bontempelli (81) - Jack Macrae (74)
HF: Jake Stringer (114) - Travis Cloke (73) - Stewart Crameri (111)
FF: Tory Dickson (107) - Tom Boyd (109) - Clay Smith (63)
R: Jordan Roughead (76) - Tom Liberatore (75) - Luke Dahlhaus (50)
I: Liam Picken (84) - Caleb Daniel (80) - Shane Biggs (67) - Mitch Wallis (36)

Compared to last year's voted best 22, Roberts makes way for Adams, Hamling for Biggs, McLean for Cloke, Suckling for Johannisen and Stevens for Smith.

Thanks to all who voted. :rainbow:

How many of our 'best 22' would keep their places in a 'competition best 22' ?

Whoops, my bad.

The interchange of our best 22 includes Liam Picken (84 votes), Caleb Daniel (80), Shane Biggs (67) and Mitch Wallis (36).

Missing out were Josh Dunkley (32), Toby McLean (21), Zaine Cordy (13), Matt Suckling (11), Lin Jong (9), Fletcher Roberts (6) and Bailey Williams (4).

Final Lineup

Compared to last year's voted best 22, Roberts makes way for Adams, Hamling for Biggs, McLean for Cloke, Suckling for Johannisen and Stevens for Smith.

Whoops, my bad.

Final Lineup

Thanks Dann...

So five changes from our premiership team. Those outs minus Hamling plus Suckling, Webb, Jong, Campbell and Williams in the wings.

Good times.

And according to us?

Nearly all of them you'd think...well for some..

JJ, Libba, Wood, Murphy, Dahl and Stringer would be in the mix if they play to potential. Even possibly Hunter and Macrae. IMO.

So our depth from this 22 would be,

Wallis
Dunkley
McLean
Suckling
Jong
Campbell
Webb
Cordy
Roberts
Williams

How many of these guys walk into a best 22 at most other sides?

I'd say between 5-6 depending on the club of course, but excluding GWS and Sydney I can see 5-6 of these guys easily starting at all other clubs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Votes Order

#1- Jake Stringer 114 votes (Leading goal kicker)
#2- Stewart Crameri 111 votes
#3- Tom Boyd 109 votes
#4- Tory Dickson 107 votes (Runner up goal kicking)
#5- Easton Wood 104 votes
#6- Dale Morris 102 votes ( 2nd Sutton medal)
#7- Jason Johannisen 94 votes (10th Sutton medal)
#8- Marcus Adams 92 votes
#9- Matthew Boyd 86 votes (9th Sutton, 1st metres gained, AA)
#10- Liam Picken 84 votes (5th Sutton medal)
#11- Marcus Bontempelli 81 votes (1st Sutton, 4th metres gained, AA)
#12- Robert Murphy 81 votes
#13- Caleb Daniel 80 votes (7th Sutton medal)
#14- Jordan Roughead 76 votes
#15- Lachie Hunter 75 votes (3rd Sutton medal, 2nd metres gained)
#16- Tom Liberatore 75 votes (4th Sutton medal)
#17- Jackson Macrae 74 votes (7th Sutton medal)
#18- Travis Cloke 73 votes
#19- Shane Biggs 67 votes (3rd metres gained)
#20- Clay Smith 63 votes
#21- Luke Dahlhaus 50 votes (6th Sutton medal)
#22- Mitch Wallis 36 votes

So what does all this mean ? Maybe i have a sad obsession
with statistics and lists, yes that's what it means.;):oops:

Votes Order

#1- Jake Stringer 114 votes (Leading goal kicker)
#2- Stewart Crameri 111 votes
#3- Tom Boyd 109 votes
#4- Tory Dickson 107 votes (Runner up goal kicking)
#5- Easton Wood 104 votes
#6- Dale Morris 102 votes ( 2nd Sutton medal)
#7- Jason Johannisen 94 votes (10th Sutton medal)
#8- Marcus Adams 92 votes
#9- Matthew Boyd 86 votes (9th Sutton, 1st metres gained, AA)
#10- Liam Picken 84 votes (5th Sutton medal)
#11- Marcus Bontempelli 81 votes (1st Sutton, 4th metres gained, AA)
#12- Robert Murphy 81 votes
#13- Caleb Daniel 80 votes (7th Sutton medal)
#14- Jordan Roughead 76 votes
#15- Lachie Hunter 75 votes (3rd Sutton medal, 2nd metres gained)
#16- Tom Liberatore 75 votes (4th Sutton medal)
#17- Jackson Macrae 74 votes (7th Sutton medal)
#18- Travis Cloke 73 votes
#19- Shane Biggs 67 votes (3rd metres gained)
#20- Clay Smith 63 votes
#21- Luke Dahlhaus 50 votes (6th Sutton medal)
#22- Mitch Wallis 36 votes

So what does all this mean ? Maybe i have a sad obsession
with statistics and lists, yes that's what it means.;):oops:
This is really surprising. I would have thought that Dahl was in our top 10 for sure. Just goes to show how much we underrate some of our own.

This is really surprising. I would have thought that Dahl was in our top 10 for sure. Just goes to show how much we underrate some of our own.
I think it's more based on the way we were picking. Dahl, bont and libba were competing with the likes of macrae and Wallis (and all of our other mids) for just three on ball spots. It's not unreasonable for someone to want to start macrae or Wallis on ball and start Dahl, libba or bont forward. If you compare that to forwards and backs (who are mostly at the top of the vote count) being picked to share six positions, it's much easier for those players to be in the top 6 than for mids to be in the top 3.

I wouldnt class wallis as elite player but he is a elite team player

We won the GF because we were tougher for longer than the opposition. Wallis is one of our toughest for longest players, and when he is in the team, Libba doesnt tag blokes like Kennedy.

When the likes of Daniel and Dunkley are good enough to keep a fit Wally out of the team, we will be smashing it.

We won the GF because we were tougher for longer than the opposition. Wallis is one of our toughest for longest players, and when he is in the team, Libba doesnt tag blokes like Kennedy.

When the likes of Daniel and Dunkley are good enough to keep a fit Wally out of the team, we will be smashing it.
i agree with that hence why he is a elite team player, does everything he is asked
redevelop his body from a ball winning mid-tagger-forward then to a hybrid

I think it's more based on the way we were picking. Dahl, bont and libba were competing with the likes of macrae and Wallis (and all of our other mids) for just three on ball spots. It's not unreasonable for someone to want to start macrae or Wallis on ball and start Dahl, libba or bont forward. If you compare that to forwards and backs (who are mostly at the top of the vote count) being picked to share six positions, it's much easier for those players to be in the top 6 than for mids to be in the top 3.

I didn't vote for Dahl as a mid as I prefer him as a high fwd for our team. As you say that doesn't mean he isn't top 10.

The polls were open for different amounts of time, there were different voters, people voting for players in different positions, etc. Not much you can read into it as the poll conditions weren't consistent.

So our depth from this 22 would be,

Wallis
Dunkley
McLean
Suckling
Jong
Campbell
Webb
Cordy
Roberts
Williams

How many of these guys walk into a best 22 at most other sides?

I'd say between 5-6 depending on the club of course, but excluding GWS and Sydney I can see 5-6 of these guys easily starting at all other clubs!
And you also left off:

Honeychurch
Dale
Collins
Roarke Smith
Redpath

That, along with our recruits this year, should make for a very nice VFL team as well

I have been looking at this best 22 and finding it difficult to disagree with.

Having said that, I can't see Dunkley not being best 22. He was good this year and you would expect him to improve next season. You may ask "who do you leave out of the side?"

IMO, and this won't be a popular opinion, but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. A player featuring in this 22 who I can see struggling next year is Crameri. His best is obviously very good, we all know that. The fact is, the difference between his best and worst game is quite significant. He would have one of the highest standard deviations in terms of performances on our list. Lacking consistency for a finals bound team is going to see you on the outter.

Crameri certainly has his deficiencies and we saw that in 2015 when he was dropped to the VFL for a couple of weeks.

I considered starting a thread about this to outline how strongly I feel about this opinion.

Having said all that, I fully expect him to play the majority of games because I wouldn't expect us to field our best 22 every single week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs BigFooty Consensus Best 22 - finalised!

Back