Western Bulldogs Team of 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

menzel case

Debutant
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi all, as part of a promotion of our game to the community, i am involved in a 21st century afl publicisation. for every team, we are preparing what we believe is the best 22 since 2000 inclusive. all players must have played minimum 50 games in this time period to be considered. would appreciate your thoughts on your team. and remember if you want to put a player in you have to take another out!

FB L.GILBEE B.LAKE L.PICKEN*

HB R.MURPHY* D.MORRIS* R.SMITH

C R.GRIFFEN S.WEST A.COONEY

HF N.BROWN C.GRANT (vc) D.GIANSIRACUSA

FF B.JOHNSON (c) J.STRINGER* J.AKERMANIS

RR L.DARCY M.BOYD* D.CROSS

INT W.MINSON* TOM LIBERATORE* L.DAHLHAUS* TON.LIBERATORE

COACH: RODNEY EADE

FB L.GILBEE B.LAKE D.MORRIS

HB R.MURPHY* (vc) C.GRANT R.HARGRAVE

C R.SMITH S.WEST N.EAGLETON

HF N.BROWN J.STRINGER* D.GIANSIRACUSA

FF B.JOHNSON (c) L.DARCY J.AKERMANIS

RR W.MINSON* *A.COONEY R.GRIFFEN

INT M.BOYD* TON.LIBERATORE E.WOOD* M.HAHN

Thats how id line things up, thought you had to many midfielders in there

Hi all, as part of a promotion of our game to the community, i am involved in a 21st century afl publicisation. for every team, we are preparing what we believe is the best 22 since 2000 inclusive. all players must have played minimum 50 games in this time period to be considered. would appreciate your thoughts on your team. and remember if you want to put a player in you have to take another out!

FB M.Boyd* B.Lake R.Hargrave

HB L.Gilbee D.Morris* R.Smith

I think the backline group in this side speaks for itself. You've got about 7 All Australian jumpers amongst them and hundreds and hundreds of games. Boyd gets named at back pocket after his stellar season there this year and the rest of the midfield group being fairly inflexible.

C D.Cross S.West N.Eagleton

Across the centre you have two absolute endurance beasts and two of the most revered players to play for the club. Eagleton gets the nod after 220-odd games post-2000 and for his ability to carry the ball; truth be told, it was only after he retired that I realised how vital he was to our (relative) success in the Eade years. We still haven't found a replacement for him.

HF A.Cooney R.Murphy* (C) N.Brown

Pre-injury, Cooney proved his ability to play forward and kick bags when rotating out of the middle. Murphy might have played his best football in defence, but he was sensational as a make-shift CHF before he did his knee. Excellent above his head and in front of the big sticks. On talent alone, Nathan Brown is in the top handful I've ever seen at the club.

FF J.Stringer* B.Johnson (VC) D.Giansiracusa

At full forward, Brad Johnson. Obviously. It's a short forward group, but it's well documented that we haven't exactly had a glut of key forwards over the last 20 years who could actually play. Gia, not the most athletic but one of the smartest forwards I've seen. Stringer rivals Chris Grant as the biggest talent we've had walk through our doors post-EJ. Has to be in.

RR L.Darcy R.Griffen* T.Liberatore*

Opted for Darcy in the ruck, and not FF. It's where he played when he was named league MVP and where he should have won a Charlie. Sure, Ryan Griffen is Judas etc but no one can deny how good he was; club captain, our best finals performer (IMO) and could (probably still can) do pretty much anything on a football field. Tom Liberatore, not Tony (not sure how some have managed to squeeze Tony into their post-2000 sides tbh). Our best player before doing his knee and, if this fantasy team were ever to take the field, would probably still be in our top couple.

INT B.Hudson L.Dahlhaus* J.Harbrow M.Bontempelli

Hudson basically shouldered our entire ruck load for years. Dahlhaus came in and had an impact from day one and hasn't stopped since. Harbrow, even though his time with us was short, was probably our best young player before getting lured to the Gold Coast. Super, super talent that is capable of so much more than what he has shown up north. Bontempelli because he is like nothing you've ever seen on a football field and you'd have to be insane not to pick him. Every Team of the Century takes a few risks and has a few speculative picks. Will be one of our all time greats, so he's in. (I know you need 50 games but surely you can make an exception on the basis of sheer talent alone?)

COACH: R.Eade

Who else?

HONOURABLE MENTIONS: Grant, Hahn, Akermanis, Minson, Wood, Picken

I considered Grant for sentiment but, ultimately, his career post-2000 didn't reach anywhere near the heights he set for himself in the 90s. Time catches up with us all, unfortunately.

Minson had a really good All Australian year but over the course of a 14-odd year career probably needed to have done a little more to get in ahead of Hudson. Wood had maybe the best year I've ever seen from a mid-sized defender but, again, one really good year out of eight probably doesn't cut it ahead of the others.

Akermanis... great player but surely you wouldn't want this bloke anywhere near your Sunday League side, let alone your Team of the 21st Century? Nup.

Mitch Hahn was a really good player for a long time, but just not Team of the Century material, unfortunately.

Picken has been serviceable, but not in the same category as those above.

Last edited:
Sure, Ryan Griffen is Judas etc but no one can deny how good he was; club captain, our best finals performer (IMO) and could (probably still can) do pretty much anything on a football field

On talent alone, Nathan Brown is in the top handful I've ever seen at the club.

Akermanis... great player but surely you wouldn't want this bloke anywhere near your Sunday League side, let alone your Team of the 21st Century? Nup.

I don't understand why Griffen & Brown get in for on-field exploits but not Aker

The whole 50 games thing goes against the modern thinking
of football where free agency will see people come to your
club in their thirties and still have a huge impact. Barry Hall
is one such example of a 33 year old coming into the Dogs
late in his career and performing at a high level. Therefore
my team would look like this.

B- Morris Lake Hargrave
HB- Gilbee Grant R.Smith
C- Griffen S.West Cooney
HF- Murphy Hahn Stringer
F- Johnson Hall Akermanis
R- B.Hudson RR- M.Boyd RO- Tom Liberatore
INT- Eagleton, Picken, Darcy, Macrae

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why Griffen & Brown get in for on-field exploits but not Aker
If Aker gets in so does Hall - two good seasons for us. Is two enough?

Brown & Griffen are definite ins, played good football for us even if their leaving as acrimonious (Griff's far more than Brown's)

Griffen's 202 games, club B&F, All Australian guernsey, club captaincy; and Brown's 137 games, 200+ goals, 2 AA's and being one of the best players we've ever produced VS Aker's good (but not great) 77 games and constant off-field disruption is what get's them over the line.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS: Grant, Hahn, Akermanis, Minson, Wood, Picken

I considered Grant for sentiment but, ultimately, his career post-2000 didn't reach anywhere near the heights he set for himself in the 90s. Time catches up with us all, unfortunately.

Minson had a really good All Australian year but over the course of a 14-odd year career probably needed to have done a little more to get in ahead of Hudson. Wood had maybe the best year I've ever seen from a mid-sized defender but, again, one really good year out of eight probably doesn't cut it ahead of the others.

Mitch Hahn was a really good player for a long time, but just not Team of the Century material, unfortunately.

Picken has been serviceable, but not in the same category as those above.

Grant in for Harbrow for mine, I agree Grant slowed in the 2000's but he was still classier than most and offers this champion team so much in terms of leadership, skill, class and flexibility.

Grant in for Harbrow for mine, I agree Grant slowed in the 2000's but he was still classier than most and offers this champion team so much in terms of leadership, skill, class and flexibility.

You might be right; Grant maybe played more good football (sheer number of games) than Harbrow post-2000, but i think his influence in the side waned considerably once he did his knee. Harbrow, on the other hand, was really instrumental in getting us to a couple of prelims (09/10), and was close to our best in 08 against Geelong. He was such a good player.

FB S Kretiuk B.LAKE Hargrave* Swapped Gilbee to HB. Just couldn't squeeze Picken in although could take Libba Snr as early 2000's weren't his best

HB L Gilbee* D.MORRIS* R.SMITH Popped Bob up forward but he could rotate with Hargrave and Smith on needs basis

HF N.BROWN R Murphy (vc) D.GIANSIRACUSA

FF B.JOHNSON (c) C Grant* J.AKERMANIS Sorry but Stringer is certainly a star but just not enough room

It's almost a side that made it's way to a GF and with Tom and Dal in there would have IMO. I see the backline being strong and adaptable with Bob rotating.
Was almost tempted to go solo with one ruck and take Stringer or Mitch Hahn as he technically quilifies and would add mongrel (also he was my fav). If we were to actually use 2000 players Jose and Danny boy also qualify. Southern would add to the bench as could be used forward or back although unsure if I'd want the game hinging on his kicking.

Anyway, I'm assuming games played in the 2000's onwards don't have to be at the peak of their powers or a few may miss.

This exercise really hammers home that Grant and Hall are literally the only good key forwards we've had for 15 years. And they only had 3 years (Grant had two good years pre-ACL and two half-decent years post-ACL) and 2 years (Hall) each as forwards. AND those years DIDN'T coincide with our most competitive period (08-10).

Imagine we had them both at or near peak in 08-10?..

Toyd's worth every dollar if he's kicking 40-50 when our team is peaking.

This exercise really hammers home that Grant and Hall are literally the only good key forwards we've had for 15 years. And they only had 3 years (Grant had two good years pre-ACL and two half-decent years post-ACL) and 2 years (Hall) each as forwards. AND those years DIDN'T coincide with our most competitive period (08-10).

Imagine we had them both at or near peak in 08-10?..

Toyd's worth every dollar if he's kicking 40-50 when our team is peaking.

I think it also really hammers home why you don't do a Team of the Century 15 years into any given century...

If Aker gets in so does Hall - two good seasons for us. Is two enough?

You need 50 games of any quality according to the OP, otherwise Hall would be a monty IMO. 39 quality games, not the sort you get from a draftee fringe player who gets a few years on the list to develop but ultimately doesn't cut it (Austin, Addison, A Cordy etc.). Hall kicked 80 goals for us in 2010 and is the best forward I can recall seeing play for us. Up until now, he has produced more for the club than Stringer IMO. 135 goals in 39 goals compared to 94 goals in 50 games

I think it also really hammers home why you don't do a Team of the Century 15 years into any given century...

Having a decent key forward for 4/15 years is a terrible spell, no matter where in the century it occurs. Barry's the only key forward to lead our goalkicking since Simon Minton-Connell in 1997!! (I refuse to count the year Jade Rawlings and Luke Darcy shared it with 30 goals)

Even the arguable next worst in that period, Melbourne, had peak David Neitz until 2006. And Jesse Hogan this year. Everyone else has had 2-3 star key forwards in that period.

End the suffering, Toyd!

Remembering the criteria here is 50 games. Therefore, someone like Hall doesn't qualify. If we're also being serious, Stringer should not make this team after only one good season. That's taking nothing away from him as a player, but there are more deserving payers. This time next year, it may be a different argument.

Backs
Ryan Hargrave - Brian Lake - Lindsay Gilbee
Robert Murphy - Dale Morris - Rohan Smith
Hard to argue with this backline. 1258 games of experience since 2000. Three attacking players with beautiful disposal, combined with three defensive players, one of which also utilises a solid run and carry game. Five All Australians here, all of whom were a part of at least two finals campaigns since 2000.

Centres
Nathan Eagleton - Scott West - Ryan Griffen
Luke Darcy - Matthew Boyd - Adam Cooney
1202 games of experience. Five players with All Australian and Best and Fairest honours. One Brownlow Medalist, a perennial Brownlow Medal place getter, a League MVP. It's a combination including inside and outside players, attacking and defensive players and, importantly, all players possess skill. The skill of quick hands from West, and the kicking skills of Eagleton, Griffen and Cooney to set up our forwards. This centreline would be lethal around stoppages and more often than not would get the clearance. If Darcy isn't getting the clearance himself, then one of the others probably will before the opposition does. All players with finals experience, five of whom played in multiple series in the 2000s.

Forwards
Nathan Brown - Chris Grant - Jason Akermanis
Daniel Giansiracusa - Brad Johnson - Luke Dahlhaus
941 games of experience. Four players who were well and truly already playing good footy before 2000, this forward line may appear to lack twin towers that you see most gun sides have, but there's no doubting the pace, skill and craft of this forward line. Johnson played above his height anyway, quite often attracting the opposition's number one defender when he was in his price in the mid 2000s. Akermanis and Dahlhaus, if required, have the pace to pressure the opposition defenders and attempt to lock the ball in. This forward line only includes two All Australians and one Best and Fairest, but one of them had multiple awards of both prior to 2000, while another one has one of the most attaractive football CV's around, achieving them prior to arriving at the Whitten Oval. All players with finals experience, four of which played in multiple finals campaigns.

INTERCHANGE
Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Liam Picken, Tom Liberatore
Of all players in the 22, Tom Liberatore is the only one without finals experience, and he is the least experienced player in the side. That's a testament to how good he has been up until injuring his knee and missing the entire 2015 season. This bench has 535 games of experience. It may look like it is overflowing with midfielders, but there is a reason for this. 1) The modern game is all about run and endurance, and 2) there is a lot of versatility within the rest of the team to cover for any injuries and for Rocket Eade to change things around in the coaches box to exploit some matchups.

Coach

Which obviously means I have chosen Rodney Eade as the coach of this time. It's a no brainer really. He coached us to four finals campaigns. What other coach have we had that comes close? Not Wallace, not Beveridge and certainly not Macca or Rohde.

Summary

As mentioned, this team has a lot of versatility. If we need extra height in the forward line, there's nothing wrong with sending Darcy forward, with Hudson going into the ruck. Similarly, if we need the experience and strength of Grant in the backline, there's nothing wrong with Darcy covering in the forward line with Hudson going into the ruck. The other five forwards are all more than capable with having a run in the midfield, and Griffen, Cooney, Eagleton, Murphy, Smith and Gilbee can play forward also.

I'm pretty happy with this team. I want to include Hahn and, at the end of the day, it came down to selecting two of Dahlhaus, Liberatore and Hahn.

Six teams so far and three have Minson and three have Hudson. That's no surprise. It's pretty 50/50. I included Hudson because he was our number one ruckman when he was at the club, which is also the same time Minson was at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs Team of 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Back