Western Bulldogs v Fremantle, Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

biggest worry for Fremantle is Ballantyne's and his atrocious field and goal kicking. Brady Grey might get a debut next week, he is a better kick than Ballantyne already

Well if you think they deliberately pay them when not there, then i think your 2 fingers are on it or in it ;)

Umpires definitely change their interpretation of the rules depending on the players involved and what end of the ground they are on. Or do you think they pay as many free kicks in the forward line as they do in the back line?

The rules have always been different for Sandilands for example. There are certain things that you can't do to any other player but you can do to Sandilands because umpires consider his size to be an unfair advantage.

There were numerous free kicks paid against him today for simply being too big and strong for his opponent.

Everyone thinks their team gets it bad, and everyone thinks their supporters don't whine as much as others. Your supporters aren't special or difference to others.

Everyone thinks their team gets it bad, Fremantle supporters have numbers to back it up.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/05/much-umpires-truly-affect-season-2014/

2014, Fremantle (despite finishing top 4) had the worst free kick differential of any team in the AFL. -52. The next worst was -43, and only 5 teams total had a differential worse than -15.

biggest worry for Fremantle is Ballantyne's and his atrocious field and goal kicking. Brady Grey might get a debut next week, he is a better kick than Ballantyne already

Nah, he's just out of touch. Chalky has been looking solid in the WAFL as a back pocket, but is largely untested as a small forward. If Spurr goes down Grey will come in. Anyway, good fight today Doggies. Looking like a real revelation this year.

You have got to be shitting me, break his leg ?

He slipped over and tried to steady himself, barely made contact, it will be thrown out or a fine for being clumsy.

Talk about an over reaction

All the wank in here about umpires and then I read that,
Nic Nat got a fine when he didn't even slip so will only be a fine.

I dismiss the AFLCA award too because at the end of the season Coaches are pumping tyres of players who do **** all just to win the award, ala Robbie Gray.
I'm calling you on this one.

When you look at his coaches votes as below, they very rarely differ a great deal between the two coaches. They also align pretty well with other ratings such as Supercoach scores, Inside Football ratings and Brownlow votes.

Round 23 - AFLCA 5 & 4 - SC 123 (2nd match high) - IF Rating 8 - 2 Brownlow votes
Round 22 - AFLCA 5 & 5 - SC 174 (match high) - IF Rating 9 - 3 Brownlow votes
Round 21 - AFLCA 5 & 4 - SC 148 (2nd match high) - IF Rating 8
Round 20 - AFLCA 4 & 3 - SC 126 (3rd match high) - IF Rating 8
Round 19 - AFLCA 0 & 0 - SC 49 - IF Rating 4
Round 18 - AFLCA 4 & 4 - SC 134 (3rd match high) - IF Rating 7
Round 17 - AFLCA 1 & 0 - SC 77 - IF Rating 8

I can't see any evidence to support what you're saying. Unless you think it's a big conspiracy and everyone is in on it...

Wow I have never seen a teams supporters so ungracious in victory.

Our supporters are always opinionated about the umpires - happens every game. If you ever venture onto our board you'll see the conspiracy theories flying around thick and fast.

I wouldn't read too much into the BF reactions.

Last edited:
No one is "unbeatable" and that's not really the talk. The intelligent talk is around the gameplan to make a break on opponents and ease of once +30, consolidate (best case) that lead or hold off a comeback (worst case). Only people who deny the quality of Lyon scoff that it's a reality.

Still undefeated with this method. Still visibly conserving our stocks (injury risk) and energy output. Nothing about it is "perfect" or dominant. But it's results are unquestionable. Just look at the last 5 mins of the game. The switch can be flipped when challenged.

You didn't hear Fyfe suggest they were lucky to win this game. You heard him say "we knew they'd come at us, and pleasing to scrape out the win". You think someone who was aiming to beat a team into submission and rack up percentage would be pleased at conceding 30 point lead?

Please.. It's deliberate. Percentage isn't as big factor as banking wins and conversing for finals. Even this early its a good tactic.
You're not actually suggesting it was a deliberate ploy to conserve energy in this particular game?! How about giving the dogs some credit for playing well?

I swear my mind boggles sometimes when i read big footy comments.

As for Fyfe commenting on scraping a win - its all PR stuff - he's trained to say that. He's not going to say "We took the foot off the pedal and thats why they got so close"

Last edited:
Umpires definitely change their interpretation of the rules depending on the players involved and what end of the ground they are on. Or do you think they pay as many free kicks in the forward line as they do in the back line?

The rules have always been different for Sandilands for example. There are certain things that you can't do to any other player but you can do to Sandilands because umpires consider his size to be an unfair advantage.

There were numerous free kicks paid against him today for simply being too big and strong for his opponent.
You might think that about interpretation, but you have gone off track regarding what i mentioned, and that they deliberately pay more to one side because they don't like the other side, was the impression i was getting from Freo supporter on here.

You might think that about interpretation, but you have gone off track regarding what i mentioned, and that they deliberately pay more to one side because they don't like the other side, was the impression i was getting from Freo supporter on here.

Not necessarily one side, but certainly certain players. Ryan Crowley being the most obvious example. A big part of the reason for Freo's free kick differential last year was Crowley and Dawson, who both had around 15 more free kicks against than for. Crowley was obviously targeted on purpose by umpires last year. You could hear them on TV talking into their mics to each other saying "watch Crowley, watch Crowley". He was famously penalised once because someone threw him over the boundary line near the interchange race. A big part of the reason why we aren't suffering as much this year with free kicks is that neither Dawson nor Crowley have played a game yet this year.

Then there are certain players who are looked after by umps to a massive degree. And there are players who are ignored - Most key forwards probably get about 20% of the free kicks they earn because umpires don't like to pay free kicks that lead to easy goals.

So no, I don't think umpires deliberately favour one team over another (although they are certainly influenced by crowds to some degree). But they definitely go into games with preconceived ideas about certain players, and award them free kicks based on their existing perceptions.

Everyone thinks their team gets it bad, Fremantle supporters have numbers to back it up.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/05/much-umpires-truly-affect-season-2014/

2014, Fremantle (despite finishing top 4) had the worst free kick differential of any team in the AFL. -52. The next worst was -43, and only 5 teams total had a differential worse than -15.
That looks like a pattern then doesn't it?

Maybe its your game style/players not the umps? If youre consistently getting pinged, take responsibility for it and look at why, don't whinge

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs v Fremantle, Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back